• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

converting fan cooled to liquid cooled?

broken_line

i have found a heart for my 2002pro x 440 it is a liquid cooled tho. do i just need hoses, resivor, and cooling tubes? i am creative/ mechanically inclined. anyone have any ideas on what i need to do this? there are rubber plugs in the tunnel that come out what are they for? hoses? i will post the build progress once i get started.

Before you buy anything figure out all the parts you will need and get prices for them, I bet it will add up in a big hurry!

Just some things I can think of off the top of my head:

Coolers

hoses

coolant tank

differnt clutching

carbs

airbox

gearing

exhaust

wiring

If you want a liquid I would fix what you have and sell it and buy a liquid.

yes i plan on sticking a different motor in and parting out the good parts on the fan cooled motor. it would be more expensive to buy a new fan motor than to find a CHEAP liquid..

Even though I agree with Dozer and Coors 100% I also admire your abition. As a person who likes to tinker with stuff since I was very young ( because dad said if you want a sled, you'll have to learn how to fix it! ) it hardly ever paid off financially but what your learned in the end was well worth it.

Besides overhaulin' sleds, wheelers, car engines and what not, we also mod'd out a '72 Elan, dropped in a Polaris TX340 engine with a tuned pipe....... OH YEAH! try to stop that machine AND most of NW Minnesota knew when that thing was running, fox were running for the woods for MILES around grin

A buddy of mine figured a Bronco II body would look a lot better on top of a Explorer Sport frame than the Explorer Sport did PLUS it had that gutsy 4.0 V6 engine in there instead of that wimpy V6 the Bronco II had, after a few late nights, some 33" mudders and a little chopping to the top to convertiblize it and some removable doors, he had a pretty sweet Ford Jeep...... yeah it would have been easier to buy a Jeep but this was a FORD and it was defintely unique and fun to take for a spin, wish I had the pics we took when we were in the back country in Colorado with it, that was fun.

Keep us up to date on what you do, I would definetly price things out just to make sure you don't go overboard before you get too deep into a project like this.

Mike

yes i plan on sticking a different motor in and parting out the good parts on the fan cooled motor. it would be more expensive to buy a new fan motor than to find a CHEAP liquid..

It might be more expensive, unless you have a decent crank for a 550 fan, then I have the rest and we could work out a deal. I am parting it out. Let me know.

Dude, there was a good looking 440 fan on the "list" yesterday for only a few hun. I would take a look at it as it will cost you a lot more to rework the whole system over like others have said. wink

i got the motor. it had rebuild paper work with it. the only thing concrning me is the fact that the compression is only 90 psi. but the motor wasnt in the sled when i tested it:/ he had the rebuild shop mill the head down so he could run cheap "holiday" gas. it has GREAT spark hehe (: and looks very clean. also the cross hatching was visible with the bore scope yet.

Basically your going to need to go to the dealer and obtain the whole cooling system for the Pro-X 600 for that same year (I assume your putting in a 600?) Not a huge deal but will take a little time. You will need to pull the rear suspension in order to intall the front cooler. Used to do it all the time when it was cheap to buy year old 440 Fan race chassis. You will also need to get the exhaust can and the bracket that holds it and rivet that in on the rh side of the bulkhead. Might have to take into consideration the wireing harness as well. All the parts will fit, it's just getting all the parts without spending a ton of money. You might look into trying to find a crashed out 600 Pro-X or XC to rob the parts from.

heres where im at right now except i have the front suspension allingned right.

it turned out to be taking parts off of the pro x and sticking them on a indy xc sp. i hope to be done in a few weeks. it has been ALOT of work fixing the bent bulkhead and taking everything off.

DSCF1917.jpg

heres the motor that poped off on first pull.

DSCF1910.jpg

broken, U R the man! I hate just changing my Hyfax! frown When it's all said and done you will have gained some really good experience and if all works out can really feel good about what you have acomplished on this rebuild. Keep us posted when you hit the snow! cool

no, the previous owner didnt keep the chain tight enough and it skipped. i drove it 50 feet today (: no handle bars, seat or gas tank but it works! and started up, first pull idled perfect and was snappy. \

anyone know how to remove the throttle cables from the carbs?

I drilled another hole 5/8ths of an inch lower than the original hole in the tunnel, front skid mount, and along the same radius of the rear skid line. This really wakes up the pro x suspension when riding rough stuff. Just mount the front skid bolt through that hole. If you need to run some flat track stuff, say a river or real smooth trails, put it back to stock. You will be amazed at the difference in ride. Also drilled holes in the skid strap for more adjustments there.

I really liked my pro x, only sled I ever wished i didn't trade off. I would still be riding it today. I hate the dragon I got in trade.

Lock tite that chain case sprocket bolt. It will wreck your chain case if it comes off.

Looking at that picture, I bet the bolt came loose. I have seen edge chain cases look like that before. He is maybe not telling the truth to you. Ask a polaris mechanic about them, notorious bad design.

the motor runs great! lots of snap and power. now im pondering on how to keep it running great. i am very scared around 2 strokes now. and want to blow it up like i want a hole in my foot. what would be some good precautions to keep it running good? little oil in gas? good VES oil?