• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wind Generator??

Dogzlife000

Anyone use a wind generator on their crank up house? I'm interested in pursuing this option since the amp draw I'm currently using is more than my bats can handle in 24 hours. I'd sure hate to whip out the genny twice a day (no room for additional bats).

For those in the know, what are the costs? How about set up and tear down time? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Yep...

I posted a ton of stuff out here last year on how to do make one, noise level, mounts etc. It should be here.

I went and copied at random a bunch of posts from last year, data answers to questions etc... here it is:

I can power the entire house (TV, DVD, Stereo) and a 1000 watt inverter, all while I charge the batteries. I don’t need the generator as long as I have a 5 mph wind, usually not a problem on the lake!

It can be taken down for when I move or go home pretty easily, just have to unplug it and put it in the house. It weighs about 45 pounds is all, with a 60" blade diameter. (I have double doors for a 4 wheeler if I need one) It just fits.

you can go cheap or buy one premade.

It is as basic as a GM alternator, a hub and blades with schedule 40 pipe ... that’s it. That will get you enough to get going.

Mine is a slant core PMA (permanent magnet alternator) it makes more power and lasts longer, easier to get going, etc. so the guts are not the normal GM alternator just the housing.

The mount, tail, alternator guts, and blades I bought. The mount on the house I welded and made with galvanized schedule 40 pipe and steel plate.

The generator is on 1.5 outside dia. schedule 40 galvanized pipe and it just inserts into a 36" schedule 40 pipe that is 2" o.d.

Then you need welding wire so it does not twist... hooked to the alternator and you can run that direct to a battery.

When the wind blows you are making power and charging the battery just as your car or truck does. (that is it basically)

I got the parts I needed from Missouri wind and solar (blades, PMA, mount, tail, etc).

To mount it the top attachment is just a fence post gate swing pin that I flattened out and bolted to the bunk 2x4 in the house and used the pin on the alternator side. (easy to get on and off) the bottom is easy it just goes in the pipe that is bigger. (2") Its welded to the frame and braced.

I was real easy to do... specially if you can weld. The unit produces 500 watts of power the one I have is the 500 watt low wind turbine.

The blades are white with primer... they now have glow paint that I put on them ..looks like a UFO in the distance.. lol

I figure I have about $400-$450 into it. So it should eventually pay for itself with not having to charge batteries and not having to run a generator etc.

1000 watt inverter does not need 1000 watts to make it run. The 500 watt wind turbine will give your battery all the power it needs to run the inverter. The inverter only needs the 12v of power to make the 1000 watts... (make sense?) 1000 watts is a lot of inverter. You probably only need about 500 or less to run your normal small TV.

I only have 2 batteries and one is OLD... and dead. The wind generator is plugged to the old dead battery. and the lights and the inverter and the fan for the heater. If it is blowing 5-10 mph they will all run and function properly. I keep the spare battery for lights and heater fan, but if it is blowing I don’t need it.

Its very simple the wind gen. (which is just and alternator like your cars) is hooked to the battery, making 12volts and 500 watts of Direct Current. Then I just put everything on the battery lights, inverter etc. and they stay 100% powered up if the wind blows 5-10 mph.

The batteries last like a normal deep cycle charge only you are constantly charging them without hurting them... again like your vehicle. They can last 4 ever if the wind never stops. I usually get 48 hours out of my normal deep cycle with no wind and running lights and heater fan. Less running the inverter. . but I don’t have to run a generator, this is almost silent.

And if the wind is blowing 5-10 and I have propane I can stay out a LOOOONNNNGGG time without having to charge anything. Providing I have fish to eat

almost silent in a 5 mph wind... a bit more and its audible, but nowhere near a gas powered generator no matter how small and quiet. It sounds like a high pitched snowmobile way off in the distance.

The positive and negative come off the PMA (alternator) go into the house with a simple plug. The plug receptacle just has 2 wires with alligator clips that attach to the battery + and - this is all really VERY simple stuff. In short it attaches directly to the battery. I just plug it in outside to the weather proof receptacle and alligator clip it to the battery inside.

The best wire to use is welding wire (not the feed) the actual wire that you would use for the gun. IT is very flexible and does not bind with the turning of the wind generator.

The pictures I have are of my 6 blade setup. I have now switched to a 9 blade setup because it is so close to the house the wind was too turbulent to start the blades spinning in 5 mph wind. (these turbines should really be 18-20' in the air) Now it spins regardless in a 5 mph wind.

The battery is a buffer... really you don’t need it. But if the wind slows down and the generator is not spinning the battery takes over. There is some life to the old one it’s not 100% dead and I only use that if its windy. I use a good battery if it is not windy, to run the 12V stuff. No electronics in the alternator (PMA) it can’t "overcharge" 12 Volts is 12 Volts. It would sort of be like leaving your battery charger on for an indefinite amount of time. The battery is only going to get to 100 %. Then the rest is sort of just extra, that gets used on the heater, inverter and lights etc. The equipment is still only getting the 12 Volts from the battery. (even though it’s all hooked together) you’re not going to overcharge or fry the battery or blow out your lights, fan, inverter it still gets its power from the 12 V of the battery..... make sense?

full-3361-3863-support.jpg

full-3361-3864-hook.jpg

Olbaidhh, That is awesome! Great ingenuity. The size of yours wouldn't work in my wheelhouse with a side door, for now I have to use a generator. Have you ever thought about custom building some for guys for a little profit? Maybe a little side business for you! Nice job.

Thanks for taking the time to post all the info olbaidhh. Definitely a nice unit and at 500 watts, a powerful one at that. Since I don't need quite that amount of output, are there any options that you are aware of for building one that it smaller? Say around 3' in diameter with half the output. Something I can easily put in the truck box when transporting.

By the way, how do you shut that sucka down in a 30mph wind? Spin the pipe by hand?