• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do guys push thru your smokepole?

I shoot the powerbelts...so far two deer smoked with them,including my biggest buck...My first deer was at 15 yards and it took him off his feet. Strangely it didn't pass through but was lodged under the skin on the opposite side. They are nice and easy to load and unload.

I also use powerbelts, 245 gr. I notice alot of the deer our party shoots also have the bullet just under the skin on the opposite side, doesn't seem to matter what type of bullet it is either. Any idea why? I know the bullet loses alot of energy passing thru a deer but I wouldn't think that the skin would be that tough to penetrate.

I know the bullet has done its job and I find it intersesting looking at the mushroomed bullet but if one would ever have to track a deer having an exit wound would be beneficial for the blood trail. I haven't had that problem but there is always a first.

I have seen the powerbelt explode when hitting bone, even just a rib. I think the heavier powerbelts perform the best, and they do the best when they are not pushed too hard.

You can get yourself some Gold Dot deep curls in bulk and but some sabots to match your bore size and they will load easy enough. In a tight bore like some of the T/C rifles the Harvester crush rib sabot works great. They are a better performing bullet than the powerbelt and a heck of a lot less expensive to shoot.

I had hornady's with a sabot and was lured to the powerbelts b/c they looked so nice and easy to load. Big mistake for me. They were way too loose in my barrel. Had one fall out.... at least that's what I'm assuming happened. Drew up on a doe and all I saw were sparks a flyin'. Looked like fireworks coming out of my barrel. It looked like something flew out of the end about 10 yards or so. From what I can gather, I think the bullet came off the plastic bottom and that somehow kept the powder in but who knows...... anyway, back to hornady.

Our group has taken hundreds of deer with the powerbelts. We have seen everything: fragmented bullets, tons in the opposite skin, I had one hit a branch and started tumbling and had an entrance wound the size of a softball. At the end of the day we have only lost one deer that was hit. That is saying a lot given that we take between 10 and 50 a year with the smoke poles for going on 8 years.

370 grain maxiball, dead on at 100 yards and I really don't think I could make a great shot much beyond that with open sights anyway so I don't put myself in a spot where I'd see them beyond the 100. 2 for 2 since the all-season tag began so hard to beat 100%. Both bucks staggered off and made it maybe 10 yards or so. Man that original black powder sure stinks after firing.

I switched to the shockwaves after shooting powerbelts for 4 years, and have been very happy. I found the powerbelts would sometimes tumble on me. I also did not like the way they performed once they hit the animal. I rarely had a pass through with them. They would hit the animal and desitegrate.

Hey musky buck, any idea how much fps that maxi ball is acheiving at 100 yards with a 370 grn? were those bucks around a 100yrds. I'm not doubting you, just curious on the bullets perormance being that heavy, how much energy it still has stored at that distance. Boar