• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Food Source?

In the area that I am hunting late season there is no corn left anywhere. The only food sources I know of are Alfalfa and one rye field. Do you think the deer will continue to feed on the alfalfa until the snow comes and covers it?

I know as it gets colder the deer start looking for a more fatty food source but there isn't one within 2 miles of where I hunt. This is my first year bow hunting after rifle closes. I would like to have some sort of plan of attack because I am not a huge fan of the cold so I want to make my sits worth while.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I thought the same lastyear when i hunted down southwest mn. All the fields out besides an alfalfa field and the deer hit that like CRAZY!!! Deer would literally come from all around I counted 30+ on the field every night i sat there and i sat on it probably 15 times after the snow. The deer would come out about a half hour before sunset and i would have to sneak in thru the wood cause there was still tons of deer in the morning too. i was in the same boat where i didnt sit besides morning and night so im not sure about daytime visitors but from my experience they crushed the alfalfa after the snow

They will still pour into the alfalfa fields. Last year on the last day of blackpowder season I had 20 deer come into the alfalfa field 20 min before last light and I took a nice doe. That morning I wasn't able to make it out but my 3 friends that were out saw 35 deer between the 3 of them that were coming back to bed from the alfalfa.

I am in the same boat. I have a blind up on the edge of a bedding area and funnel leading into more woods and plowed bean fields on the way to the picked corn. I'm thinking about moving right on top of the picked corn but I've also thought, I may have a better chance at getting them during shooting light in my current spot. Also, I'm thinking it will be hard to get out of the picked corn spot without a lot of disturbance. And what if they decide to chop or plow under the picked corn in the next week or two? Problems! Problems. lol

Neighbor seeded his down last spring and the deer are thick in it after dark of course but they are after it because it still is green as ever and they can fill up fast and see or smell danger without the standing corn they often hide in and it seems once full they will digest ome of it bed down sometimes anyway, and fill up before first light for the daily bed. Now that it's colder they are eating all night long, it's a good food source, just further away from the roads likely the better chance to see some during shooting light.