• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

REMINGTON 700 30-06

My daughter and I went to the range last weekend to do some sighting. I took a couple of shots, everything was good. When it was her turn, she chambered a round and the gun immediately fired. The safety was "on" and her hand was never close to the trigger. I've heard stories of this happening w/ these models before, but this gun has never done this in all the years I've had it [ 20+ ]. Anyone have this happen to them? I did alittle research online and found out that Remmington has had a recall for the 700/ 710 for a while now. I'm not sure wether or not to trust this gun even if the Walker mechanism is retro'd. Pretty scary...

Same thing happen to one of the guys I hunt with. It happen when he was unloading the gun, same caliber as yours also.He doesn't even put a bullet in the chamber now until he's got a deer in his sights. I think I will give him the same advice that Ufatz told you. Glad I don't own a remington.

msnbc had a full hour long story on this rifle and this exact problem that the company has known about for over 40 years, yes, 40 years. I would never buy a Rem 700 with the old style trigger, supposedly the new xtrigger eliminates this issue, but they won't fix the old ones either.

Get rid of it or put in an after market trigger......

Picksbigwagon is right. I called, and Remmington's fix is to the safety only. They are not calling it a "recall", but a "safety modification program". I was informed that they charge $20.00 [ plus shipping and handling/ some deal, eh? ] to first evaluate the condition of the trigger mechanism and determine if it has been adjusted or modified. If it's OK, then they will remove the bolt-lock mechanism. If the trigger shows wear/ adjustment/ or modifications, then they will replace the entire trigger mechanism w/ a new re-designed one that does not feature a bolt-lock.

I'm pretty disgusted/ PO'd right now about the whole thing. A friend of mine tivo'd the CNBC story and I watched it last night. Pretty revolting stuff. If it weren't for the fact that the gun was a wedding present from my late father, I'd have gotten rid of it. I think that I will take it to a local gunsmith and see what he says before I mail it in...

Meanwhile my kid is healing nicely. She got ringed pretty good in the forehead by the scope when it went off. We both learned a very valuable lesson here.

I would have a hard time selling a gun that I know has a "MAJOR" safty problem. 2c

I am still confused? The safty and Trigger are one assembly. Il RES can you operate your bolt with the safty ON? Just typing outloud!!

I will probably talk to a gunsmith

From what I saw on the MSNBC report people have been fighting with remington for years about this problem. Remington refuses to accept responsibility because of lawsuits. I don't have the time or money to fight remington and I want a safe Gun around myself and family.

Unlike IL RES I have not had a problem with My 2 model 700s yet. All it takes is once to change your life forever!!!

My 700 bolt currently operates w/ the safety "on". I've owned and fired this gun for 24 yrs. Probably shot it 200+ times before this happened.

After spending 1/2 hour on the phone w/ the Rem rep, it became clear to me that I was getting nowhere. This is not a recall, like what was previously mentioned above, Rem is NOT admitting responsibility, so they are paying NOTHING! If they won't fix what they knew about 30+ yrs ago, do you think that I should trust/ pay them to fix it right this time around? HELL NO! People have been killed and seriously injured because they won't admit something is wrong w/ their product. They would rather protect their reputation and bottom line.

If that's the case I guess you only have a couple options: drag it to your local gunsmith, as you said earlier or (my choice) scrap it and get something you can have faith in. And let Remington know how much you admire their business practices by never buying anything from them again.

From all I hear that company is in the dumper anyway because of it's reliance on cheaply made offshore junk. When you buy a $300 over-under you just GOTTA know you ain't gettin' much. Ha! Just an example.

I doubt you'll take my alternative so haul it over to your gunsmith pal. And I hope it's the last of your trouble.

Thanks Ufatz, I appreciate your opinions and those on this forum. My family was fortunate. Knowing what I know now, Remington could have gone to MUCH greater lengths to advise the public. I think I'll keep the gun [ too much sentimental value ] once I get it fixed...

IL RES: Why foist this off on some local gunsmith? He may NOT want to risk involving himself with this. Go to REMINGTON with the problem. Make THEM pay to fix it.

Sheeeessssh!!

Foist it off?

If this gunsmith feels like he can fix it, why not let him try? If he doesn't want to get involved, he can turn it down.

If this gunsmith feels like he can fix it, why not let him try? If he doesn't want to get involved, he can turn it down.

I agree. Sucks to have to pay to fix what may indeed be Remington's problem, but since the gun has a lot of sentimental value, it sounds like the way I'd go too, if it were mine.

BTW, if you saw the CNBC special against the 700, you might want to go to the Remington Web site and see their rebuttal. Both the CNBC "journalism" and the rebuttal are easily found via Google.

Hey LightningBG....my word selection was not the best when I said "foisted off".

What I was thinking-at that point-was why try to put this on your local guys back to fix when Remington should be held responsible. We have since learned that the company feels it is NOT their problem.

I suppose they can make an argument that "normal wear and tear" is cause.

Whatever, it is a shame. And the company's troubles in recent years is something none of us takes any joy in. Just sad to see a great old company selling some of the stuff they do. I've seen some of the shotguns that appear to have come out of a former Russian tank factory and that's just what they look like.

I can't wait to see my first Chinese "high grade side-by-side" shotgun.

Now you guys have me worried. I have a 700 in 25-06, it's about 15ish years old and shoots incredibly well, but the bolt does work with the safety on. Does that mean I might have an issue with this? I've never had a problem with it in the past, but I'd like to get it fixed before there's an issue! Can you keep us informed on how much it was to have your gunsmith get the work done?

i have 2 700 mountian rifles and there great guns,But the second one i bought i had for a year and when i would flip to fire it would go off thank god it was unloaded. i was releasing the fireing pin when it happened. i brought it to gander gunsmith and he fix it havent had a problem. im done buying rems thow!