• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bowtech D340 or D350?

Meat-Run

Ok I know that BT is coming out with 2011 products soon so I was hoping to capatilize any blow out deals on the 2010 models for either the D340 or the D350. I've always shot Bowtech and been very happy with my current BT Liberty thats about 5-6 yers old and want to make that my back up or future bow for my oldest when he can pull it back.

Anyways I don't shoot leagues but want to really know what I'm gaining or really loosing by going to either bow? I know the D350 is seen as a speed bow but you could almost put the D340 in there too and if there about the same price wouldn't it make more sense to purchase the D350 anyways? How much forgiving is the 7" BH compared to the 6" BH??? I'm hoping some one can help stear me to the correct bow for my liking, I'll only us this for hunting purposes.

If you have any personal experience or expertise on these two models please tell me what your thoughts are and don't hold back BUT do not make this a bashing post like the other archery HSOforum do?

thanks,

Meat-Run

I'd go with the longer brace height, especially if you're going to shoot paper with it. I'm not turned on by speed though. I'm really considering the Z9 with 8 3/4" BH. Talk about a smoooth forgiving hunting rig. I think Vister shoots a Destroyer, maybe he'll chime in.

My grandpa shot his caribou at 65 yds with his recurve. I'm guessing there was a pretty good rainbow on that arrow. Practice with what you got and I guarantee you'll be confident out to 50! laugh

On the other hand, it's always fun shopping for bows. I'm in the same boat, but I'm looking to sacrifice speed for shootability. Bows have become so efficient these days. Same speed out a 7 1/4" BH than a 5 1/2" just 10 years ago. Crazy. Have fun with your search! smile

... a possible mule deer or prairie hunt in the next year or two, say out to 50 yards or more.

There will be very little difference between these two bows for the purposes you're talking about here. For a hunting rig, I'd definitely go with the 340. The 350 would be a fine choice, but I always go for quiet and forgiving over a little extra speed. Shoot a 400 grain arrow (total weight with head, etc) and use the appropriate quieting gear and you'll have a very quiet, smooth, and fast bow. Keep in mind that the difference in IBO is only 10 fps- that's diddly squat in my book. I wouldn't sacrifice any noise or smoothness of a bow for 10 fps.

It'll be a white tail/elk/muley/goat/bear/caribou/whatever killing machine! The only thing for you to do will be to make a good shot! I'd be very surprised if you didn't love this bow...

I bought the D340 and it is a sweeeeet bow!! One word of advice though if you do buy either one, do not mess with the flexguard. There is a screw that holds it in place and it is supposed to be somewhat loose. DO NOT tighten down the screw!! Accuracy wise, the D340 is supposed to be an easier shooting and more accurate bow!!~ the D340 is plenty fast!!

AAAAAAAAAaaaaah, I knew there were a few BT brothers on here some where. Scoot and gr8ice, what you guys stated is what I wanted to confirm in my head and wanted to hear it from some one else. Now if I can just pawn off one more deer stand I could pull the trigger this winter. One more question what's your arrow length or DL, and poudage on your d340 and do you max out the limbs for maximum performance?

mr

Arrow length 30" bone collector 340g with a 29" draw length!! I bought a 70lbs bow and actually turned it all the way down when i bought cause i was shooting indoor paper targets at first cause it was winter when i bought it! I have actually left it at that setting cause it still screams at 64 lbs! Not sure if you have shot one yet, but the bow is crazy FAST and smooth!!

yeah, i've shot both bows and can't really tell much difference but that was with only two arrows, cheap rest, no stabilizer and some ugly arrows. When I shoot I shoot with an open hand and it never jumped from me when I released. Now when I purchase a new one I'll definetly tweek it with a good stabilizer, sights, and rest. I've read on other websites that it's kind of short for hunting but I thought the a2a was almost on long side for stand hunting, you find any issues with your bow and mobility in tight spots?

mr

Meat Run- the Destroyer isn't even 33" ATA. That's SHORT, not long! I typically look for a bow that's closer to 40" than 30"! You will have no problems at all with the Destroyer being too long.

I've said this before and I'll say it again-- more people would shoot better and more consistently if they made only one change... shoot a longer ATA bow then they currently do. Longer bows are more consistent and accurate than shorter bows (everything else being equal). The idea that a 37" bow will be huge and clunky in the woods and a 32" bow will not have any problems is tough for me to imagine being true.

Actually, my only hang up with the Destroyer is that it's too short for my liking. I wish they made a longer version of it- maybe 36" or 38". I'd be shooting one for sure if they made such a beast.

Sadly, short ATA bows are all the rage these days and hunters are paying for this by sacraficing accuracy and consistency.

You have to remember though today's risers w/ parallel limbs are just as long as their longer ata counterparts just 5 years ago. So a 33" ata bow with parallel limbs would balance in the hand the same a 35-36" with say... 30 degree limbs. Like I said before, bows have really become efficient. With that said, I'm like you and prefer a longer ata. My Dren is 33" and I can't see myself going any shorter. 34" would be about perfect I think.

Scoot, thank you very much for you input I apprieciate it very much. Since I work in the hunting/fish industry your longer a2a wish might come true.....that's all i'm saying. wink

SNS, thanks for your .02 and my coworker has a d340 but unfortunatly I can't shoot it now as he "kind of" touched his string with a broad head this fall and he's waiting for a new string.

gr8ic, thanks for posting pictures of your bow, that doesn't help with my destroy fever, that's a sweet looking rig!

mr

You have to remember though today's risers w/ parallel limbs are just as long as their longer ata counterparts just 5 years ago. So a 33" ata bow with parallel limbs would balance in the hand the same a 35-36" with say... 30 degree limbs. Like I said before, bows have really become efficient. With that said, I'm like you and prefer a longer ata. My Dren is 33" and I can't see myself going any shorter. 34" would be about perfect I think.

Yes, this is a good point and I understand the differences in design between bows from a decade ago and today's bows. That being said, longer ATA bows are still more accurate and more consistent than shorter ones. There's obviously a lot of personal preference involved too, but my "perfect bow" would be a little longer than yours still.

Meat Run, good luck with this! It's tough making these decisions, but lots of decisions in life are a lot more important and less fun. Good luck with your purchase and please report back on how you like the new rig.

I'll be deciding between a Bowtech or an Elite in the next month or so... I'm looking at the Destroyer 340 and the Elite Pure pretty closely.

All you have to do is look at pro taget shooters.....i would say 90% of indoor paper target shooters shoot bows with long ATA lengths, why, because they are more forgiving in accuracy!! I wouldn't say they are more accurate, but they are more forgiving when it comes to aiming and following through!

I shoot a D340 right now. Prior to that I owned 3 hoyts, the last one an Alphamax 32 which is a 32 ata obviously, and even with that short of a ata it was a tack driver out to 50 yards, considering 95% of all deer I have shot have been under 20, I couldn't ask for more out of a hunting rig, the D340 is 3/8" longer ata than the AM322. The Z7 is only 30" and my buddy is a crack shot with that short of an ATA. Will a longer ATA generally be more forgiving than a short one, the answer is yes, however, alot of it comes down to how you shoot, for a beginner I would probably recommend a longer bow, like the Maxxis 35 or comparable, but for the seasoned shooter with good mechanics, shorter ATA should not be a negative factor. But everyone shoots differently and has opinions on what they prefer. You just need to decide whats best for you.

Well I think I can say with out sounding overly confident that I'm not a beginner. Been a bow hunter for over 12 years or so, started with an old Hoyt with 65% let off, round cams, then moved up to a "fast bow" a Hoyt Fast-flight, what a tank that thing is, still hanging in my basement more as a memory or to remind me how strong I was to carry such an object through the woods. Currently shoot an older BT Liberty that I'm very confident shooting out to 40+ yards but would like the option of a shorter riser and better limbs and truthfully get another bow because I can get a good deal on one.

This thread was intended to see what others experience has been if they have had ANY experience with both models and the real advantage of if any with the D350. Some great points have been made that's made it very clear that I'm only gaining 10 more fps and not much with the D350. I'm almost 90% sure it will be a D340 when I pull the trigger, thanks for all the input that was provided it was benefitial.

mr