• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bow hunting after Gun Season is over with

1eyeReD

What can a NOOB expect bow hunting after Gun Season is over with? Except muzzle loader season.. I got an area I wanna wait out until Mid December as there will be a late gun season followed by muzzle loading season. While at my other spot, the blaze orange should be done with after the 16th.. Then muzzle loaders will put orange dots here and there on the map at this location but usually in very low numbers.

Anyone with any experience bagging trophy bucks well into December? I might use the tag on a doe, but am wondering what the chances are of running into that big unexpected buck..

find nice food source and sit there. thats about the only info i can help you with..Last year sat on a ridge between bedding and corn field and i had a string of 9 does and fawns. and the last doe must have been late heat cause there were 3 bucks following same trail in the next hr

Yep thats what i see too! Food sources are crazy late season!! I was on private land down in southwest mn which is a lot of fields of corn and beans which are out but luckily the farm i hunted was the only one within 5 miles with a big alph alpha field and that was amazing. I would see litteraly 50 deer a day come to the field from all around plenty of bucks too even during some daylight hours the last 2 hours were amazing. I dont know what kind of food sources you have there but that is definitely what i would look for!

A few last day bow drives are crazy with very close encounters. Last year with all the heavy snow, the deer were very preditable on pushes. The deer never wanted to cross open fields. Sit on a good trail and get ready. I pushed solo and two guys sat, 29 deer came though. We got three deer off that drive and one went 129". Its a blast but you should be in better shape if your doing the walking. If youve never done it you dont know what your missing.

All the bucks don't get shot during gun season!!! Twice in the last few years I've seen bucks 'herding' does on Thanksgiving Day. Let the deer settle down for a week after gun season and then go back after them. Remember the muzzleloader season, you'll still need to wear red, but in my experience the muzzy season doesn't rile up the deer near as much as the regular gun season. Find their food source!!

I've shot most of my deer AFTER the gun season. I'm generally very picky about what bucks I shoot, so I hold out for a big guy. Then, after I spend a whole season of not shooting anything, I lower my standards a little and also start trying like heck to shoot a doe. Most years end with me shooting a doe in late Dec, which is great by me. When we get a lot of snow, look for well used trails and be sure to hunt on the coldest days that offer the correct wind for the place you're sitting.

Late-season is no walk in the park. It's cold, & the deer not in freezers have been pressured for months. It's a great time to have solitude in the stand though. The key is locating an active food source. If you're able to punch a tag in December, you've earned it.