• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Velvet Buck

Velvet Buck

Levi, age 13, middle son, small in size, 3X in heart. It’s been 5 years waiting and things are about to change.

It all started with Christmas and a prayer. Levi’s older brother had been running the neighborhood scared with his deadly stick and string. Several thousand shots blasted out and fell harmlessly 20 feet away but excitement and determination never faltered. Julie and I decided maybe he would like a real bow for Christmas.

Things were a bit on the tight side so prayer seemed the logical next step. We were gett’n close to decision time and Grandpa said he might be able to help with a bailout. That’s when it happened. Door bell rings and my neighbor Steve is standing there with a bow in his hands. “I just found this under my son’s bed. You think Jesse might want this?”

That was $60 bucks and several deer ago. When Jesse needed more bow it was sold to Levi who shot his first deer with it. Levi grew to more bow as well and little sister Sarah has it now. Maybe someday the grandkids will use it for first deer, who knows. It doesn’t really matter as its real value is in how it was obtained.

Levi’s one desire has been to shoot a deer in velvet. We live in ND and season opens early Sept. That normally gives us about a week to get’r done. For one reason or another it just never happened. Too many distractions. Fishing always cut scouting short. We have tried and even had deer we were hoping for but it never came together.

This season I got my priorities straight and by mid-August we were setting out cameras. It took some time but by the 1st of Sept we had narrowed down the search to one area with two bucks. Actually we hit the jackpot, as it seemed every deer we got pictures of was a buck. Most were small but I already had my eye on one. I picked up one of his sheds from last season which made me all the more hopeful.

Looking over pictures, the buck with split brow tines appeared to be the most likely to show. We had some daylight pictures and even what seemed to be a pattern. The boys and I already had the blind up and deer seemed to be ok with the set up as we continued to get them on camera.

Friday Sept 3rd was just days away but I was unable to hunt. Fishing got in the way, again. Our set up depended on a NW wind. South and South East day after day. With the opener already 3 days into Sept and bad winds, things were looking sour for a velvet buck.

When weather finally changed it did the about face! Rain, like we don’t get here in ND. From early morning to late that night a steady downpour continued without taking a breath. Street curbs were running full, everything was saturated, turkeys looked like mops left in the bucket. I was not hopeful.

Levi stepped up to an adult bow this summer so 20 yards was in his kill zone. That was a 5 yard advantage over previous years. The handicap was he developed target panic and with it went years of practice and confidence. I like shooting with him but he needed something more than an impatient Dad to get him through this.

Coach Mom got into the game and 3 times a day in 10 shot sessions Levi was in therapy. A friend told me a few years ago the cure was shooting with your eyes closed. Kind of surprising what you can hit with your eyes closed once you have body position right. For me the “eyes closed” thing lets me focus on form and squeeze, not on timing to hit a bullseye. Takes the pressure off.

By day 15 of remedial training Levi was ready for 20 yards and the results were amazing. He was only allowed two shots a day with his eyes open. Results, deadly. Confidence was back and with it a finely tuned consistency he has never achieved before. I’m beginning to think there is more to the regiment than just a fix for target panic.

We pull out all the stops around here when it comes to deer. Prayer has been a big part of our hunting and little did I know what we started years ago at the supper table was being used subversively against me. I had a nice 4 point in mind, the one I had a shed from last season. No daylight pictures yet but I figured there may be a chance later in the season as we got closer to the rut.

Levi and I had been talking about the split brow tine buck and it was decided that was the deer for him. Pictures showed he had a somewhat regular pattern and most importantly he was moving in the daylight. We were determined not to mess this up so waiting for the right wind was essential.

It never rains in ND in September. It never rains in ND all day long. Does today and Levi and I have to decide what to do. Wind is good and we will be in a blind but that is the only two positives we have going. I have no experience hunting deer in the rain so we are going this one with our “eyes closed”.

Things get cramped in a blind and muscles can get tight. We are in stealth mode with the magic last 30 minutes of daylight just ahead of us. I ask Levi to draw his bow a couple of times and then to carefully stand and stretch out. Textbook, soon as he stands I look up to see Mr. Buck staring down the trail.

I have no idea what he found to chew on but it looked like a reformed 3 pack a day smoker gett’n the most out of his Nicorette gum. Chew and stare, chew and stare. I’m guessing 15 minutes, not a step and daylight burning down to the stub.

We interrupt this broadcast to bring you a special News Bulletin:

Sept, 6th 2010 Whitetail Still in Velvet.

Buck on the move and Levi is focused, confident and amazingly relaxed, for a kid with the shakes that is. Mr. Buck ends up 12 yards away broadside. I whisper to Levi, “Can you take him?” “No, I don’t think so.” Geez, don’t tell me . . ., buck on the move, 20 yards he stops broadside. Levi draws, takes forever and slowly squeezes. Wack! Up the trail and out of sight.

“How did it feel Levi?” Still confident he replies, “Pretty good.” Rain is still coming down and I decide not to wait very long as it is now apparent that the downside to hunting in the rain is a washed out blood trail. Out of the blind straight to the escape trail. Blood looks good, I can’t get over Levi’s confidence.

Levi , out front, flashlight in hand, “Here it is Dad.” “Already? I can’t believe it. Way to go Levi, your coach is going to be so proud of you.” Pictures, video and soaking wet smiles. We head home with a tagged velvet buck. It’s been 5 years waiting. Levi phones ahead to prepare the welcoming committee for our arrival.

Levi has everyone’s attention during story time. I interrupt and tell coach I was praying for the 4 point Levi shot. That’s when he comes clean and informs me, “That’s the one I was praying for Dad.” Problem around here is no one communicates. No wonder families are breaking up.

First Deer

full-34939-2369-firstdeer.jpg

First Velvet Deer

full-34939-2370-levisbuck.jpg

Great stuff, Greg! Congrats to the young hunter!!!

That must have been a different buck than the "split browtine buck"? Or am I unable to see the split from that pic? Just curious...

Oh, one last thing-- there's a problem with your story... you said several deer were taken with an old, used, $60 bow. That can't be- I've read all over the internet that you need the newest, fastest, most fancy bow to kill a deer. In fact, the guys at the local archery shops are now telling me that my 2010 Hoyt won't work worth a darn in a few weeks because all of the 2011 bows are being/will be released. As soon as they're out, my old rig won't cut it anymore... wink

Great write up and again, congrats to Coach Mom, Dad, and the young archer.

You got it right, no split. I never expected the 4 point to show as we had no daylight photos. It was Levi’s first night in the stand for 2010 and in walks my deer and he shoots it. The 4 is bigger than the split or so I thought. There is more story coming as Levi has an older brother and I will tell you this much. You will be seeing the split brow tine buck soon.

Ya, how about that old bow. It is still shooting.

Coach and Levi are still out once a day keeping the edge sharp. Levi has a doe license yet.

Awesome!!! Congrats again! It was tough to see the shot, but he must have put a very good hit on that buck!

See you that video and watching you with him is, I hope, a picture of my future. My little boy is soon to be six and my daughter is three. I sure hope I can get them both out in the woods with me as often as possible. I'd still be smiling ear to ear if I were you-- I bet you are!

Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Split Brow Tine Buck

Thousands of shots. Day in day out he would never tire. Stick and string in hand, stalking the next target. Master Hunter at age 8, the land he hunted included the entire outer reaches of our backyard.

Jesse shot his first buck at age 10 from a tree stand. That was five years back and he has been lucky enough to get a deer every year since. Normally that means some pretty cold weather hunting. This year was to be different for us. His younger brother Levi already scored on a great buck and his first bear. The pressure is on.

Levi was first to bat this year with a velvet buck in mind, a split brow tine 4 point. We tried to get out early in the season but wind would not cooperate. Sept 6th came and with it the right wind. First night in the blind Levi gets his deer. Only problem, it was the wrong deer. Turns out the velvet 4 point I was hoping for comes by and Levi is still smiling.

That leaves the split brow tine buck for Levi’s older brother Jesse. You have to know Jesse to understand. It has to be right, everything in order, as HE needs it to be. He wasn’t jumping in his boots, running out the door and wait’n in the truck when his turn came up. We looked at the trail camera pictures once more and I finally convinced him. If he didn’t want it I certainly did.

I like sitting in the blind but I also like some entertainment. I don’t require much; few birds, squirrel or two and a flock of geese going over will keep me smiling. Our first night was a no show, not a deer. The evening could be summed up in three words. I had hoped. The summary for way too many hunts. The summary for too much of life.

We try not to over hunt a location. It’s tuff to find a balance and there is no formula. Each area is different and each deer is unique. For now we had the buck right where we wanted him. If we didn’t make our move things could change. If we push too hard things could change. I normally hold back but next good wind we were back in the blind.

Our second night in the blind and another no show. I always worry that I’m unzipping the blind as Mr. Buck is sneaking by. The uncertainty of what is going on just out of sight keeps me wondering. Did I spook the buck, unaware he was watching us leave? Once in a while if it doesn’t feel right, I will clear out before shooting light is over. Making my escape before it’s too dark to see.

The trail camera showed he was still moving through but not as regular as earlier in the season. In fact for a week he was nowhere to be seen. Someone get him? Did we blow it and push him out? Then he was back and so were we. Good wind out of the North West and even a little front to go with it.

I like wind when I hunt. Not tree bending; blind shaking gale force, but a good steady 15 is perfect. Maybe it’s just me but when clouds are sailing, leaves are rattling, grass is moving, and tree branches are waving I figure I got an advantage. Seems deer have a harder time picking up my movement.

Jesse is dressed in black to help with the movement thing. We don’t use a screen on our blinds and we keep’m pretty open so we can see. More light gets in but so far it has been working for us. A coon is moving off to our left and I have the camera on him getting some video. That’s when I feel the slow, gentle pressure of Jesse’s hand. Code for BUCK!

I get the camera swung over just as the split brow tine buck comes into view. It can’t happen better. Broadside, slow walk, 20 yards, stops in the perfect spot. I whisper, “Can you take him?” Crack, deer down. At my introduction to archery a seasoned hunter told me, “If you hunt, sooner or later you’re going to make a bad shot.” Sure enough I have. Today is Jesse’s turn.

Great deer, great hunt, but the not so perfect shot has stolen much of the joy. I can see it in his face. Six weeks have passed since and still Jesse doesn’t like watching the video as the buck stiffens and drops. I understand. I shot a buck once straight down, thru the spine. I’ll admit I would rather not. You practice, train, tune equipment, make adjustments all to keep this from happening.

Hunting is just like everything else in life. Mistakes are going to be made. Consequences will come like it or not. Sometimes they are the result of our own doing. Other times they are the result of someone else, but come they will. It’s the pain, the disappointment I’d rather pass on. As a Dad I’d prefer my kids get a free ticket as well.

Reality is, most, no make that all, of the really good lessons in my life have been the result of negative experiences. They seem to stick, teach me things that last. I don’t like the painful lessons but looking back I generally like the results as seen from the perspective of time. Perhaps it’s been similar for you.

Jesse got his deer, lost some joy to a spine shot, is learning about life and will continue to hunt. He can let it chew at his insides or let it be ok and move on as best he can. Likely it will be a mixture of both. More difficult for a perfectionist, I otta know, but still doable.

I had hoped. . .

full-34939-2849-jesse.jpg

Great write-up, as always, Greg. It's tougher to applaud, whoop, and hollar given the tone of this second story. However, in spite of a less than perfect shot, Jesse got that beautiful buck. Last year I hit a buck, and for the first time in over 1/4 century of bowhunting, I didn't recover it. Now THAT makes for a story with a sad ending! Jesse's story has a great outcome, even if the process was less than ideal. Congrats to him and thanks to you and him for telling it like it really happened and sharing the good and the bad.

I know a lot of people who hit deer that will die and don't recover them who appear to feel a whole lot less remorse than your story makes you/Jesse sound. Those folks could probably learn a little something from your story. The flip side, of course, is that it sounds like Jesse learned something through this too. Hopefully the sting of the poor shot wears off a little, but not too much to get him to practice and practice and practice, in hopes of making a perfect shot every chance he gets.

Congrats again- what a beautiful trophy.