• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scent trails

Alright, I'm pretty new to bow hunting and I've never been out during the rut. I was fortunate enought to shoot a buck early last year, but haven't seen anything to shoot yet this year. Since I haven't seen any deer moving in my area, which has a lot of heavy trails around my stand, I decided to buy some doe estrus (#69 smile... My question is, when/how do you put this stuff out? I was thinking tying a string tipped with the stuff behind me on the way out to the stand, then tying a couple small strings with the scent on some twigs around me and the deer trails. Would this work? Should I hold off before putting out the scent? Any help would be great. Thanks all and shoot straight!

With estrus you can also put 10 drops or so in the center of your closest scrape to keep the head of your local buck at ground level a bit longer for your shot if it is within shooting distance...or add a newly dipped scent drag from your shooting lane TO the scrape you just scented so the buck will follow the drag as it gets stronger thinking he is getting closer to the prize. He may just walk right to you smile

Look luck, and shoot straight.

I buy the scent wicks get an old shoe lace or something and tie it to my boot. I dip the end in and start walking, refreshining it every so often. It has worked for me. There is a majical length to the shoe lace, to short and it is a pain to put scent on, to long and it gets caught on everything, you will need to figure that out. I walk to and around my stand where I would like my shot, hang some scent wicks and wait. Some times it is like they are on a string and other times it doesnt work all year. But it cant hurt. I have had luck with the Wildlife research special golden estrus, but I am sure they all work the same. Good luck

I buy the scent wicks get an old shoe lace or something and tie it to my boot. I dip the end in and start walking, refreshining it every so often. It has worked for me. There is a majical length to the shoe lace, to short and it is a pain to put scent on, to long and it gets caught on everything, you will need to figure that out. I walk to and around my stand where I would like my shot, hang some scent wicks and wait. Some times it is like they are on a string and other times it doesnt work all year. But it cant hurt. I have had luck with the Wildlife research special golden estrus, but I am sure they all work the same. Good luck

Thats excactly what I do too!

I bought a Hunters Speciality Scent drag on Saturday had two bucks come in and sniff it and follow it to the exact spot I put it away. Never had it work before but I keep it in a zip lock with my scent on it.