• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Psycho Nuthatch

micpic

Number one is very good! I've tried several times to capture that behavior without much luck.

Impressive! Now, do you know if it was reacting to another nuthatch (that's my guess) or was it reacting to a different species?

Sue, I used a 50D with a 100-400 lens. The trick is I have a EF25 extension tube between the lens and camera that acts as a magnifier. It's my way of getting good shots while I'm learning Photo Shop. This also drops your focal length dramatically. That's why Nuthatches are easy to get because they are alot less skittish than other birds. I had one land on my shoulder while filling the feeder once. They have some pretty sharp talons and a good grip.

Mike

While hunting, I was able to observe a couple nuthatchs collecting seeds? or something and putting them in a little section of a tree where a branch broke off. One of them would defend it against other birds. But the funniest part was after they would leave, this red squirell would go right up there and eat every bit of the stash! If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't believe it.