• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ground Blind Tricks

Wensel

I have an 11 year old that loves to go out with dad for some stick and string action.

I hunt out of a Double Bu__ with him.

Just wondering how some of you set up?

Do you always brush in, or I have heard too set in the wide open??

Thanks in advance

Maybe a View of your set would be fun!

I always try to brush mine in if I have the time, if not, I try to setup in a thicket or something that will help break up the outline of the blind a little bit. Also, I wear BLACK when in the blind, so as to meld into the background of the blind and not stick out like a sore thumb (learned that from the good people on this board).

Try to set up right next to some fallen trees and brush or right in amongst some willows. And take some willow branches from another willow to brush it in alot.

Worked for me as the next time I went to use the blind in the willows, I couldn't find it at first! Get the three legged folding chairs as they are easier to shoot out of than a four legged chair.

Also get a bow hanger or a bow holder that you stick in the ground because having a bow ready without having to bend over picking it off the ground is a sure advantage for the deer to notice movement and noise! shocked

Good Luck!

I'd say when in doubt brush in and stick the blind in some type of cover. One of the problems with the groundblind setup is that the deer will recognize an additional feature in the terrain and pick off the blind pretty quick, not to say that you won't get them comfortable after a bit but the deer know the areas they tend to travel and I have been busted due to a new feature(like me sitting in a tree) when they come into an area. Ground blinds can be as simple as a brushy place you back into or in your case actually setting up a blind. I like the surround type blinds for little people as they can get away with some movement without alerting all the deer in your area to your presence. I put camo fabric around a 2x treestand this past weekend while my daughter was hunting due to the fact she has never had to sit in the open like we had to do this past weekend and all of the extra movement would have scared most deer away. We were successful in that we had 4 different bucks come out and feed and only one raised an eyebrow to the new setup but we did get busted by a deer right towards the end of shooting light likely due to scent and not the stand itself. It came right to the edge of the field, hung up(while 3 bucks were feeding) turned and stomped a couple times and scared off everything on the field as well as nearby. It came in nearly downwind but wouldn't commit to stepping out of the brush and the only thing I can think is that it didn't like the smell or the new sillouette of the stand. I still don't know. So, (IMHO) if time permits, place the blind early, brush it in and then hunt out of it.

Tunrevir~

I saw a blind that Harvey Lee had set up for a hunter a few weeks ago-- you could hardly even tell there was a blind in there! I was really impressed with how well hidden it was. He had cut a bunch of brush and really, really hidden it well. He's had a lot of success out of ground blinds...

All I can say is thick cover and heavy canopies make for a short trip.

{gets dark quicker}

What you see is the top half of my blind. The big black spot is an open window. I'm standing on a deer trail when I took the pic.

I like window options.

This one has zippers all over it, so it will accomodate kids at one window and taller adults at another.

Wally world has light weight black 4 legged fold up chairs in the furniture department. They have padding and a back support.. I like those too.

good luck

full-35060-2173-groundblind.jpg

I would definitely take advantage of the natural terrain. You have two routes in doing this. The first is placing the blind in an inconspicuous spot, someplace they won't notice or won't pay much attention to. One spot I had by blind the deer never seemed to notice was around the bend of a field corner. It wasn't brushed in real well but the deer never really looked there much so they didn't pay it much attention. The other is sinking in to heavy brush. I just moved a blind into a wooded "island" near a field corner and I scraped myself up good pushing and cutting it into the thick stuff. My only option to enter it is from the front.

The other tip is the view, or the lack thereof, the deer should have of you in the blind. This means wearing black from the waist up and ideally face paint or a cover. I use a cheap $4 snowmobile helmet gaitor for the latter. And I have cheap Fleet Farm black t-shirts, sweatshirts and fleece jackets plus $2 work gloves. It goes nicely with my spendy Predator pants. : ) Also, have the minimum number of windows open and have your son sit in the blind where you will be sitting. You shouldn't be able to see him at all. So the key is, the bare number of windows open so its nice and dark in there and you're invisible in your black clothing.

Good luck. I love ground blind hunting. I like the shot angle much more and its thrilling to kill deer from the ground. Plus you get to take your best friend with you like you are!