• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

This weekend's plan

Okay so this weekend might be the only time I get to bow hunt all season becuase of school. I've never taken a deer with a bow, and with this possibly being my only chance this year, I want to know what you guys think. Should I shoot the first adult deer, doe or buck, that walks by? I want to get the monkey off my back and close the deal with my bow. Thanks

You should know what you want. Would you mind shooting a deer with milk still in her teats? I did that once in November, didn't know the kids weren't necessarily weaned by then. That being said, if your time available is short, and the deer are not in rut, you might not see much game. In your situation, I'd go for the first deer that met my minimum criteria.

I say shoot, you need to get some experience before you start getting picky. Especially when it comes to bowhunting, drawing and shoot placement are so important you really need to get some deer under your belt to become a better hunter. My first archery deer was a fawn, then a doe, then a spike and I have worked my way up. Now I usually shoot a doe for meat and get a little selective with the bucks that I never seem to catch up to. smile

Being selective for most of us usually requires many trips to the woods. That doesn't sound like it fits your schedule this season. If you're really serious about taking a deer with archery equipment, I'd be content with taking the first deer that presents a good shot. That alone in itself is a huge accomplishment. Best of luck with the weekend plan - hope it works out!