• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any suggestionf for stand placements

andy90

full-34471-1161-huntingland.jpg

The place at hand is a little over 400 acres of public land in southeastern Minnesota. It is a reclaimed gravel pit and the majority middle section that is lighter in color is about 60 percent vegetated, hilly, and about out of the question. The bottom left corner is CRP land and borders a corn field with a decent tree line inbetween. The north section where there are trees is super thick and has some corn and bean fields around it. I have only been able to get to this place once to look it over and was looking at hunting the northwest corner near the cornfield and an acorn tree that had a number of tracks under it. I was wondering if, from this picture, anyone could give me some advice as to where they think there could be some deer movement. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this would be my second year bowhunting and first time hunting this spot.

Thanks

Andy

If I were going to hunt this piece I would find the toughest spot to get to and the furthest from any parking area possible. The amount of pressure the deer recieve on public land down here is unbelieveable. shoot me an e-mail andy and I can point you in the direction of some other public areas in s.e.mn that can be productive in case that area is getting pounded. if you could let me know were abouts you are hunting just relative location nearby city would work. [email protected]

full-17837-1164-full_34471_1161_huntingl

Later in the fall when the beans are down and the corn is still up check out areas near 1 and 2. If the deer are still hitting the beans, 1,2, or the point of woods to the east of 2. If 3 is near a river that could be good. The field corners north and south of 4 could be worth checking out.

If that is an access trail down the middle, I'd try looking around 3 for a spot first.

Just my guesses.

full344711161huntinglan.jpg

Anywhere along the redline, the narrowest spot would be a great spot and a natural funnel, especially when the bucks start running. So much the better if you can set up in the middle and shoot to each edge of the woodline/fieldline.

The top red dot seems like an area where deer would hang on the field because the shape of the field has cover close by.

The 2 red dots in the upper right part is also a natural funnel and usually the deer will hug the edge of the cover on one side or the other. So much the better if you can shoot across the funnel from one edge to the other.

The biggest thing is play the wind. Looks like alot of bedding cover on the top of the pic. I think with the funnel in the middle of the pic, you could get away with any wind as long as it's not blowing right down the funnel.

Good Luck! Looks like a good spot!

Brian

I've hunted this land for many years. I'll say that its a long dang walk uphill from parking to hunting area and few guys are going to lug all their [PoorWordUsage] 1 mile to hunt. Then consider how steep the hills are there (believe me I can tell you about it) and how much work it would be to drop a deer and drag it all the way back...

You can catch my drift I hope.

Personally, I'd find an easier property to hunt smile