• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Quick Question

upnorth

I looking at my first bike here and have it narrowed down to 2 a 2001 V Star 1100 Silverado with 24,000 mi and 2002 V Star 650 Classic with 2800 miles both are within $200 of each other. Should I be concerned about 24,000 miles? I don't anticipate keeping for more than a couple years and get some experience under my belt and maybe move up to a HD or Victory.

I wouldn't be concerned at all with 24K miles as long as the previous owner took care of the bike with regular maintenance. Atleast you know it's been ridden.

I personally would opt for the larger displacement. But if just cruising around 30-50 miles at a time is going to make up the majority of your trips, the 650 wouldn't be a bad choice either. I just think you might become bored with the smaller bike after the first year.

Quote:
I just think you might become bored with the smaller bike after the first year.

Not always the case. wink

I have owned many motorcycles over the years, from off road to sport to cruisers. A great deal depends on what you are going to do with it, and the style of bike makes a big difference in its performance too! I went to a smaller bore a couple years ago (from an 1100 to a 750) and I'm quite happy. I went from an 1100 tire smoking machine that would pull up the front wheel when I wanted, to a 750 with a longer wheelbase that is low slung and very comfortable. I changed partially because I wanted a cycle more geared for commuting than for running around. For me, comfort has become the most important thing, in the past, performance was the ONLY thing! The cycle I have now is a good mix in that, its very comfortable to ride, but is no slouch in the performance department.

Well took the plunge and got the 1100 V-star. Now I just have get out and learn to ride the thing. I like it. Rather heavy, but not as bad as I thought it might be. Sound sweet too, Vance and Hines pipes so she rumbles a bit grin

Can't get into a Basic Riding Course for a couple weeks so I am going to start just puttering around town to get the feel for it. Not a whole lot of traffic around Chisholm here so won't have to much of that to contend with. Staying on the sides streets for while. Wish there was an empty parking lot close by. Watched more than just a few youtube vidoes, so I have an idea where to start out. Get familiar with the controls, then start, stop, start stop, until that feels comfortable then on to a little more difficult stuff. Old enough to have lost the feeling of bullet proof feeling wink So no highway for me for a bit.

Congrats on the new bike!

Check c-list or local pawn shops for a leather jacket. There are tons around the cities and hopefully you can find one near you on the range!

I too would have recomended the bigger bike the feeling of riding with some confidence will come back soon enough. Also if you want to give a ride to anyone you will have enough power to do so comfortably.

Keep the shiney side up and the rubber side down !

The jacket I have is a heavy fabric (almost like Goretex)with pads in the shoulders, elbows and forearms. There's also a foam pad in the back.

Even up in Chisholm, the heat can be at uncomfortable levels during the summer. There are other jackets with built in padding that are more of a mesh material and breathe a lot better to allow for air to pass through.

Leather is probably the better second skin so to speak but also comes at a price in added weight, less heat dissipation and breathability for some models of jackets out there.

Either way, any extra protection is better than none.

Congrats on the purchase.

Fantastic Purchase!

I just don't think there is a better bang for the buck then bike you now own.

I know you said you may be upgrading in the near future but I'd be willing to bet you'll be Happily on that Yammy for quite a few years!

Great looking bike and rock solid dependability without mortgaging the farm!

Well done and Congrats!

I don't anticipate keeping for more than a couple years and get some experience under my belt and maybe move up to a HD or Victory.

Move "up" to a HD or Victory? In my mind it would be "over" to HD or Victory. I have a Road Star that is 2 years old and has 40K + miles on it already and am not worried about it a bit! Do a search on Minnesotastarriders. It is a group of bikers that all ride together and promote family and safe kind of riding. Check em out, there are chapters throughout MN. Good group for gathering info as well. Take care and N Joy the Ride././Jimbo

Good luck learning to ride. I woulda got the smaller bike if this is your first time riding personally. I grew up on a dirtbike. I am confident I can handle just about any size bike now. I never wish upon anyone to learn how to ride on a big bike!

Be safe out there

One more question. Protective gear, leather or denim jacket? Leather I am guessing is going to be a bit more protective, but so cliche'.

I just purchased a Joe Rocket Ballistic 7 jacket at new enough dot com for about $139.00. It is waterproof and has vents to make the heat more bearable. It also has the CE approved shoulder and elbow pads. It fits well and is very comfortable. I would agree leather is your next best bet and recommend you stay away from denim if looking for protection, it won't offer much.

I was hoping to get into the bike safety class but they aren't offering them up here this late, so probably waiting til next year to really do much.

Thats a great idea. I do not have my motorcycle license. When and if I do get it I plan on taking the two day course regardless. I know I can pass the regular road test. But just going through that 2 day class makes it look better for your insurance I believe too...

Even if I get a bike its just gonna be a town cruiser. No long road trips..

Most the time its not the operator that makes mistakes its the cars around you that get us into trouble..