• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bring your camera

Scoot

Just a friendly reminder to all who see this-- bring your camera in the field with you this year! Take it with and take pictures of anything and everything that you think folks back here might like to see. Stories are nice, but stories with pictures are great! Adding a pic or two (or 20) to a story really helps to capture people's interest. Hero shots with the trophy really add a lot to the story, but pictures that show and help describe the process also really help to capture people's attention and let them see how things unfolded.

The first time I read an internet write up of a hunting story, I couldn't help but think the author of it must be a bit arrogant and full of himself. Later I realized that he did it, not because he was arrogant, but so others could really enjoy his experience and so he could share the adventure with lots of folks. Be sure to take your camera along and share some of your adventures from the field with us here- many will appreciate it!

Got mine all ready. Was thinking of buying a new one this year, but haven't taken the plunge. There are a few point and shoot type "superzoom" cameras on the market now that I have been looking at, they can reach out to 26x and 30x these days. Kinda need a small tripod for the long range like that, but it still comes in handy when out west. The 10x optical zoom cameras are much smaller now than they were four years ago when I bought my first one. Quality is also very good for low cost.

Cheetah, if you're looking for a great field camera, check out the Panasonic FZ-35. There's a new model coming out soon, which will likely be the same with a little larger zoom. That'll give another option too, but it'll also mean the FZ-35 prices will get really, really good!

Check out a few pics a buddy took with his FZ-35

00small15232767.JPG

0h.jpg

Awesome detail! He's a good photographer, but pics like that aren't possible without good equipment.

It's a great camera and I bet you'll be able to find it for under $200 in the near future (if you shop around). Pics like those above were impossible not too long ago for a camera even close to that kind of price range.

I have a Sony HX-1 and I'm very happy with it. However, I wish I'd have gotten the FZ-35.

Looks like the FZ-35 is going for $300 online right now.

I've been looking at the Nikon P100 ($350) and the Pentax X90 ($300). I also played with a couple others at some stores to see how they fell and if I liked the settings.

My uncle bought a Lumix with 10x optical last year that had a lot of really great reviews. I liked the camera, it seemed fine, about the same as all the other point and shoot cameras I've used. I'm far from an expert though when it comes to playing with all the settings.

A lot of the new cameras will record in 1080p video, and the quality I have seen is really nice. The down side is that you have to buy the really good memory cards that can handle the data speeds required, and they are pricey. It gets to the point where the camera costs as much as the bow once you add it all up.

It gets to the point where the camera costs as much as the bow once you add it all up.

Yeah, I wasn't willing to do that...

A good buddy of mine found the FZ-35 for $230 about six months ago. With the new model coming out, I'd guess the prices will drop markedly on them very soon.

Personally, video doesn't do too much for me. It's cool, but I rarely if ever watch it. I do, however, look at pictures that I've taken. A good pic does a great job of creating related memories for me...

Regardless of what camera you get, be sure you bring it along and keep it accessible. You can see some pretty incredible things in the field and it's nice to have the camera handy for when that happens.