• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is this?

JacobMHD

Can you tell me what is causing this discoloration to my shoes? It is also all over my lawn mower. It is coming from my lawn. I think it is rust and it is probably coming from the nearby wheatfield but I want to confirm. Also, should I be concerned? How do I get rid of it? The grass is only 1 year old.

Shoes-1.jpg

It's possible there could be some rust spores blowing off of the wheat into your grass, and I'm assuming it's bluegrass here. As far as I know though the leaf & stem rust that infects wheat does not infect bluegrass. Most rusts are fairly species specific. This has been a particulary bad year for leaf rust in wheat and it triggered many fungicide applications prior to infection. Wheat leaf rust blows up here every year from down south. There are some rusts that infect bluegrass or can because I've seen it here occasionally but not on a widespread basis. The rust in turfgrass topic is best left to the turf experts here.

It's a new costruction area in south east Moorhead. No trees and I have not sprayed anything this year. For the most part, The grass has definitely slowed down in terms of growth. I'll take some pictures tonight and show you what it looks like.

Anybody know how to get rid of it before winter?

I did do a little web research on it and it appears that I just need to water more in the morning and make sure to take up the lawn clippings when I mow. With time the fungus will go away.

I was getting a lot of that same thing last year on my new grass. Seed guy told me to just put a starter fertilizer down and it would go away. He was right. I haven't had it this year and it went away shortly after I put the fertilizer down last year.

Update.....With all the rain we have been getting it appears to have subsided quite a bit. I mowed with the bagger on to collect as much of the fungus as possible. This and the percipitation seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the help.