• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DIY ND Mule Deer Hunt

Recon

Heading out to the Badlands, of western North Dakota, on Labor Day for a 10 day hunt. We plan on hunting on the National Grasslands. Anyone tried this type of hunt? General area? We have narrowed it down to a few areas to try. Everything from treeless areas to fairly wooded draws. Thinking about the area south of Watford.

Recon,

My wife and i are heading out there for our first time on sept 1st. I was scouting the last week in june and saw a fair # of deer and a few nice bucks. We are planning on h unting south of watford. The deer seemed to be in the broken country but the biggest buck I saw was in the prarie on a large platue. There is a lot of country to explore bring your walking boots and good binocs. Good luck!

camdu7, Good luck on your trip. I've been using google earth to get a good idea of the lay of the land. It will be a beautiful area to hunt regardless of the chance at a buck. We are leaving after Labor Day weekened in hopes of missing out on some of the crowd! Lets post a report when we get back. Again, Good Luck!!!!

Hi Recon,

There's no deer out there- don't go, it won't be any fun. wink

See a little write up below of the hunt we did this past year.

Muley hunt

As far as area, once you get to Dickenson, there really isn't a bad place to go. North, South, East, West-- muleys all around. The area by Watford has seen more and more pressure the past few years, to the point where some guys I know are looking elsewhere. If you've ever been out there during the gun season, you'd really know what I'm talking about! Yikes!!!

Good luck on your hunt! If you have any specific questions, fire away- we'll do our best to answer 'em.

I've been out to western N.D. 2x for mule deer. Both times we did a semi-guided hunt. Basically we showed up, the owner showed us the property we could hunt, gave us a few ideas on where deer have been seen and shot in the past, and let us have at it.

The 1st trip, we were just north of Medora, north of the south unit of the TRNP. We were out there during the 3rd week of November and saw numerous muley bucks. The rut was on and they were on the move. We ended up 2 for 4, with a fork horn and a nice 4x4 around 22" wide. My dad and I both passed up does and I had a nice 4x4 close to 25" probably, at 30 yds, full draw, but all I could see was his rack and ears as there was a big berm between us. He didn't stick around long enough for me to arrow him. I also did a stalk on a 170" class buck that a covey of sharptails ruined for me.

The 2nd trip, we were about 20 miles NW of Amidon. We were out there the 3rd week of October and only saw a couple of bucks. Lots of does and fawns around, but the bucks were just starting to get their harem of does together. I would have loved to have been out there during the middle of November. I think the bucks were still in their bachelor groups and we just couldn't find them.

No idea what to expect on an early hunt, other than it will be hot! The bucks should be in their bachelor groups and you might have to burn some boot leather, to find them. Regardless it will be a fun hunt in beautiful Teddy Roosevelt country!

Good luck!!

Brian

Around 800-1000. I should have noted that on the 1st hunt, it was a Archery Only ranch and we had 5,000 acres all to ourselves.

On the second hunt, the guy and his dad owned 19 sections and had alot of federal land around their land. This ranch was also Archery Only for deer. I think he lets rifle hunters on for antelope and had a rifle hunter kill a bighorn ram off his property too.

If you want names of the guides we used, drop me an email at bmc2680 at yahoo dot com.

Brian