• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need a little help here.

Kyle

Hey all,

I need some advice. I recently bought my first full size truck( sorry alittle off topic, but I trust bow hunters opinions) and I will need to put a new set of tires on this fall. I have firstone wilderness tires on now, and I am wondering what to get when it comes time to buy. There are alot of options out there, and it is tough for a guy to know which tire will give him the best tracktion on snow and ice, wet and dry conditions, and overall life. I am not looking for an agressive offroad tire. something that will last a long time, and give me the traction I need in the field, and on the ice. I've done some research but am not confident on the information that I have found. I know many of you drive trucks, so I am hoping you can pass some of your experience on to me.

Thanks!

I've got about 60,000 on my Goodyear Wrangler RT/S. But they are about shot, not bad for a 50,000 mile tire. Like Sniper said, good traction, quiet, pretty affordable. Should be able to get them mounted and balanced for around $150 a tire if not less.

traction/ice...? cables.

I've been in the hills of the Chippewa late season. A west facing slope will get glare ice. kinda fun going up down and around a corner to find another hill.

So either roll steady with some weight in the back ,

Or throw some cables on.

I've heard good reviews from Mastercraft tires.

IMO, you need to look at tread design more than anything. Yes, stick with a good quality tire but pick one with a tread designed to clear itself.

I'm always looking for some tread channels that run uniformly all around the tire, not some choppy hodge podge of lugs that have little direction. Once your treads jam up with mud or snow, they're worthless.

I just bought a set of take-offs from an Avalanche for my 96 pickup. The stock Goodyear Wrangler from Chevy. They have less than 1000 miles on em and they came on the Avalanche aluminum mags. $500. Those tires have always treated me well.

We also had to buy a set for the Tahoe when we were up north. I picked Sierra's. The shop recommended them above a couple other options and so far they seem decent. And again, they have the tread design that will clear and channel the mud, snow, water out of the tread.