• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bowhunting

Hi,

I would like to encourage her to take firearm education training.

You can also take bow hunter education, but you'll need to

have a firearm safety certificate to do so.

My daughter took the class and she had a very good instructor.

Good Luck

GF got a bow this year and she doesnt have her firearms safety. so can she hunt with the bow this year. she plans on getting it but no time to get it done before the season...

I may be wrong but unless she is above the age where hunter education is required she will not be able to buy ANY hunting license. There are plenty of courses being offered and she had plenty of time to get hers. I lost my card and had tyo retake hunter education in order to hunt Nevada in 08. Great refresher though and I enjoyed it.

Thanks PSE i was about positive on that. Just couldnt remember the date and didnt feel like pulling out last years regs. I think the cut off year changes every year or at least every couple years.

So to original poster, Get her registered in Hunter Education, she'll enjoy it im sure.

Firearms safety training for youth

Image of hunter education program emblem.

Classes

Please Note: Most firearms classes are offered in spring and fall. Check for spring classes in February and fall classes in July. Classes are added to the DNR HSOforum daily as the information becomes available. Periodically check the class listing for additional classes.

NEW

A comprehensive free On-line study guide is now available from HunterExam.com This link leads to an external site.. This on-line study guide will assist you in successful completion of the course. This training format will soon be available as an alternate to the traditional classroom. Please check it out and let us know what you think.

* Check currently scheduled classes listed below.

* Contact your local Conservation Officer

* Check your local newspaper

* Call (800) 366-8917

Requirements

* Certification is available to students 11 years and older.

* NEW! Apprentice Hunter Validation

* DNR Firearms Certification is required of anyone born after December 31, 1979 to purchase a hunting license in Minnesota. Check requirements in other states. This link leads to an external site.

* See independent study alternatives for adults.

Requirements

* Certification is available to students 11 years and older.

* NEW! Apprentice Hunter Validation

* DNR Firearms Certification is required of anyone born after December 31, 1979 to purchase a hunting license in Minnesota. Check requirements in other states. This link leads to an external site.

* See independent study alternatives for adults.

Check into the Apprentice Hunter option. It's a one time validation so people can get to try hunting to see if it's for them before going into the certification process.

We were considering that for our youngest daughter last year but were able to get her into a course before she needed her license.

Obviously if your GF is sure she'll be a Huntress, she'll want to get certified ASAP, but the Apprentice Hunter might be what you'll have to fall back on.

Good luck!

Ranger is right. Hunter Safety is not required to bowhunt in Minnesota.

Check out page 34 of the regulations for a list of activities that you need and don't need hunter safety:

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/hunting/2009/full_regs.pdf

That being said, I got mine because many other states do require it and I'd love to hunt them all (even though there is a very small chance of that happening frown )

Not sure where LightningBG got his info but it clearly does not come from the MN hunting regulation book.

Not sure where LightningBG got his info but it clearly does not come from the MN hunting regulation book.

My info came straight from the DNR HSOforum, cut and paste.

HuntersEd.jpg

But looking at page 34 like you stated, it does look like it isn't needed for archery. Wouldn't be the first time the DNR has contradicted itself.

safetycert.jpg

I've never even considered looking to see if the safety cert was required for archery in MN. In my mind it's always been a given that a person should go through the course if they intend to hunt.

Learned something new today. Guess I can go to bed now. tired