• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris EPS thoughts

Carpenter

I'm going to purchase the 550 Sportsman and am wondering your thoughts on the EPS (elect power steering). I haven't had a chance to ride a machine with EPS only without. If it ever quits raining I might get the chance. I had an 05 Sportsman 500 that obviously didn't have EPS and was just fine. I've heard you don't/can't feel the trail. I don't know if I like that or not. I just don't want to purchase one without it (found one I'm thinking about buying) but then be upset because I didn't get EPS. Let me know your thoughts. Experience with other brands is fine, but I'm pretty much set on the popo.

Thanks for your thoughts/advice.

but I'm pretty much set on the popo.

May i ask why??? Have you ridden any other brands to feel what you are missing out on???

Just kidding............i actually wish i had power steering, although i do not know if it is worth the extra cash!! I can certainly see where it would be nice while trail riding and hitting tight curves, otherwise i don't know it if is worth it! My kawi does not have power steering but it really doesn't bother me at all!!

the only benefit of power steering isnt for just turning the bars easier, but it also acts as a great steering stabilizer. Ever been riding and had the bars ripped from your hands from rocks, stumps etc, this will also eliminate that.

with the machine off, turn the key on just to power the lights etc, but not fire it up. you will be able to turn the bars with your pinky, it works great

good luck with your purchase, have fun

After going out and riding for a week on a 550 EPS there is no way I would ever buy another ATV without EPS. The EPS really does help if you are planning on doing any trail riding. Yes it helps you steer but is also helps take a lot of the kick back out from bumps and other ruff parts of the trail . When you go look a Polaris ATV with EPS, turn the key on and kick the front tire as hard as you can, then do it to any other ATV without EPS. You will feel what i'm talking about in your arms. Either way to me EPS is worth the extra money.

Took both the EPS and standard version for a spin. EPS first as I've ridden the standard for years. Totally different than what I'm use to. It's a real...loose, nothings there kind of a feeling. I'm thinking I could get use to it, but it's totally weird. Then I jumped on a 550 standard. I felt like I had to force the bars to move. I rode the same exact machine the week prior and it felt about the same as my 05. i didn't feel like i was fighting it at all. but after riding the EPS it felt extremely stiff.

So, which 1 did you get?????????

I do not have Power steering; 2008 Polaris 500 HO and 27" mudders and I was able to take my daughters boyfriends Yamaha 700(?) Grizzly with power steeering for a ride and Oh Boy its nice..

I can handle mine fine, but I am thinking EPS for me next time.

I rode a 550 w/eps and without last week doing side by side comparisons in the trails and this was the first time on a wheeler in a long time. I absolutely loved the EPS. I did the same with a 850, trails, roads, i did 110 miles last wedsneday on the 4 machines and I wouldn't hesitate to go for the EPS. These are great riding machines!!

I was on the fence when I was looking last year. EPS was nice but I opted out for a few reasons. One, Cost- two, One more thing to fix as I prefer reliability and less maintenance (hence I went with a foreman manual shift) - three, i've never had problems without it. Either way I'm sure you'll have just as much fun on the trails good riding!

I found a loaded 550 non-EPS that I took home. I figured I enjoyed my 05 500HO that this should be at least the same if not better. I've only been able to put 10 miles on but it's a nice machine. i think there's definately more power than the 500. steering feels about the same. no complaints there. The only complaints i would have so far is: 1 there isn't the rear utility lights, 2 you have to buy the front storage locker (which i did), and 3 my rear brush guard makes it difficult to hook my trailer onto when i pull it to it's parking spot (thru the yard). but all in all it's a really nice machine. i found a sweet deal on some 27" Mudlite XTRs and should see them tomorrow or friday. oh...4 stock tires stink. i don't understand why popo puts good tires on for a few years, then switches to bad ones, then will repeat the circle. i loved the PVT radials or whatever were on my 05. once i get the tires on i'll post a pic. wouldn't want to spoil the fun when it'll look soo much better this weekend. i'm going to try to break the beads and change them myself but if that doesn't work i'll have to break down and have a tire shop switch them for me.

Here it is with the new tires. I need to get spacers though. The extra inch puts the tire too close to the sway bar for comfort. I think I'd be fine, but rather not cut a groove/hole in the sidewall of a new tire.

P1030357.jpg

P1030358.jpg

Nice looking machine Carpenter. The wheel spacers will be cheaper than new wheels but still spendy. If you're hankering for a new set of wheels, you can get them with an offset built in so there's no need for the spacer if you go that route.

found a set of 1" spacers at the same place i got the tires. don't know if i can say who they are or not. atv outfitters was really nice to me though. they only had 2 of the tires in stock and had the other 2 direct shipped so i would get them quicker. they weren't getting their truck for a couple days. the order went in monday and i had them thursday. the spacers are cheaper there than anywhere else i looked and they are the same thing.

Typical ITP mudlite tire pattern and for me they have performed well .NAH they are not THE TIRE nor will there ever be THE ONE but I'm not a serious mudder nor sand , nor speed user . For me its about mileage while getting all jobs done reasonably . If you have ever driven a big bear or the workhorse standard tranny hondas ,, you will know speed is not an issue . Were slow smile LOL . .Its about using low cc power to the tranny LOL

I do like jumping on a buds machine here and there and cracking it or those with tires that rip . LOl

TD