• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Broadhead 4 elk????

otis32

I am heading to Colorado Elk hunting, and was wondering what you guys use for broadheads? I shoot RAGE 2 blades right now, but I was wonding if a fixed blade would be better for them? Thanks and good luck!!

I shoot the older style Magnus Stuff broadheads currently. Have yet to take an elk with one, but the hold up well with the deer I have shot. Most advice I have read from more experienced elk hunters is to go with fixed blade heads.

The answer is what ever you shoot fast and accurate from your bow.....I shoot 125 grain Muzzy's when I'm out there cause I know I can shoot accurately out to 50 yards. Every bow combination is going to handle broadheads differently, I suggest shooting a couple different types and find the one that's right for you.

fixed options are g5 stiker or montec, or just stick with 2 blade rage, if allowed. them there rage hold up incredibly well, per the results of my unscientific testing of blasting them through roughsawn oak slabs. dont listen to the naysayers, their opinions 95% are biased!

If going with a fixed blade, I would suggest a bigger head that you can tune to fly well. Elk do not leave a very good blood trail, if you hit high in the lungs or do not get a pass through. Good luck and shoot straight.

G5 montec and Rage2 are both great heads

shot both with the same bow and now Im using the Rage.

Both are about the same price.

Reason I am using the rage heads now is because it flys truer with my bow set up.

As always test the broad heads and what ever you choose tune your bow to work with it.

If you are really hard core you would weigh your heads and arrows and get everything to weigh as close to each other as possible.

I shoot the magnus stinger buzz cut 4 blade and its been great for deer, bear, hogs and antelope never shot an elk with them but i would never trust a rage on a elk i shot those for a month with three different packs i had had quite a few of them open up in mid flight and go off target, thats not very good odds when you have the shot of a lifetime, but some people swear by them and some people hate them

I don't mean to ruffle feathers with this post, but I'll state my opinion honestly...

Elk are big and tough critters. Comparing an elk to a deer is like comparing an S10 to a F350- an elk's hide is waaaaayyyy thicker, their bones are way bigger, they have much more muscle, even their connective tissue is way tougher than a whitetail. All these things combine for expandables to be a poor choice, IMO.

If you talk to hundreds of elk guys- I mean real elk guys who have shot many dozens of elk and seen hundreds taken, almost all of them will recommend a solid, cut on contact, fixed blade broadhead. There are definitely some expecptions, but honestly, most of those are driven by the fact they people are sponsored by a particular company and have to promote that company.

I made the mistake of listening to some whitetail guys who had shot a couple elk on my first elk hunt. They told me the old yarn about "shoot whatever you're confident in". I did, and it was a big mistake and I was lucky to get my elk. I shot a bull at eight feet, perfectly broadside, from a 70 lb bow, with a long drawlength, with a heavy arrow (there's another tip- shoot at least a 400 grain arrow, but keep in mind that's only a reasonable minimum)-- I didn't hit bone of any kind and I didn't even get a pass through. I shot it again at 50 yards or so, making a perfect shot, and again didn't get a pass through. I watched my buddy do the same thing with different expandables. These were expandables I was totally confident in- I'd taken a dozen or more whitetails with them and had a pass through each time.

Anyway, sorry for all the rambling. I wish you luck on your hunt and encourage you to shoot a cut on contact, fixed blad broadhead with a heavy arrow. G5 Strikers, Montecs, and Snuffer SS's are rock solid choices.