• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Completely clueless

TylerS

My family has had a horrible history with dogs, so now that I'm on my own and looking for one, I'm kind of nervous. Plus I think the kind of dog I want doesn't exist. For instance, my wife is allergic to pet dander, so it has to by hypoallergenic. It can't shed. Has to like water for waterfowl but also bode well as an upland dog. Oh, and it can't be too big but I'm not keen on dogs like spaniels because they're too small.

I desperately want a lab, but the whole allergy and shedding thing would be a no-go.

Am I too picky? Is there a dog that would fit the bill? Trainability is key, too, since I'll be learning along the way with it. My cousin told me her friend has a Vizsla that is a good hunter and doesn't shed, but I've never heard of these dogs. Plus, I don't want to buy a dog that's so obscure and rare that it costs me an arm and a leg to find and purchase.

I really am starting from scratch, so if these questions seem pretty green, they are.

Any help is appreciated.

Vizslas are great dogs, they are great hunters, a good size {50 pounds or so), great family dogs, but they do shed. They are short haired dogs so you won't find huge clumps of hair around but when they jump up to lay with you on the couch (and Vizslas will) you will come away with dog hair on you just like any other dog.

Here is a picture of my Vizsla, he was probably 7-8 months old at the time of this photo, he's about 25 inches at the shoulder and about 50 pounds now.

IMG_8267.jpg

Vizslas aren't as obscure as you might think but they aren't cheap, I can point you to several breeders as well as to the Twin Cities Vizsla club if you are interested in learning more. One big benefit you get in a Vizsla is very controlled breeding which prevents these dogs from suffering from many genetic defects.

The one thing you'll want to know about Vizslas is they have almost unlimited amounts of energy. They will go non stop for 8-10 hours a day if they can. A daily walk for a Vizsla is just a good warm up for them. You'll need to be able to provide time for them to run if at all possible, either that or you'll need to double or triple the length of walk.

Vizslas are highly trainable, they pick up on most training very quickly but they have a soft temperment so you have to have a gentle hand with them. They also want to be next to you ALL THE TIME. They are nicknamed the velcro dog because they go where you go, they aren't going to do well in an outdoor kennel since the place they want to be is right next to you.

If what I described above doesn't sound like the dog for you I would look at another breed. Like Ralph mentioned a standard poodle might be a good option for you. They can be great bird dogs.

Every Lab I've owned except my current one were outside dogs. I've never had a socialization problem nor a bonding problem. This is a very good route to consider.

The Vizla is a nice dog... but I would not consider it a water dog except maybe opening weekend...

Good Luck!

Ken

I would look at a pudelpointer as well. They are great all around dogs and good at both waterfowl and upland. They are not really small and not really big and they. They also have a hypoallergic coat, but depending on how bad her allergies are all dogs give off some dander that could make her react. its more the dander then the actual sheding that people are allergic to.

Rock creek kennel in rush city, MN is a good breeder to look at for one. They are a little more rare of a breed so the price tends to be a little higher than what you would typically pay for a lab. A good option from your description though.

Blake

A field bred lab or field bred springer would be your best bet. Both breeds are readily available and shouldn't cost an arm & a leg - although the cheapest part about a dog is the purchase price so I wouldn't let that deter you. You should also be able to find smaller labs and larger spaniels. FYI, dog size is overrated. Both breeds are very trainable too.

Ken's suggestion for an outside dog is a good solution for your allergic wife. Since you are from ND you'll want a dog with a good thick coat if it'll be doing late season water work and also to stand up to the ND winters. All dogs shed. I have yet to see one that didn't.

Tyler, if I were you I'd take some time to consider buying a dog of ANY kind. There is no rush. Think about it some more. Talk some more with your wife about owning a dog. It WILL get in the car and it WILL spend time in the house-count on it. Your wife will not be happy with that as it might set off an allergy attack/reaction.

Please take some time to give dog ownership more consideration. I KNOW you want a dog, but is it the best thing for your family AND the dog??

Best wishes.

Thanks for all the advise. I have much to consider.

Ufatz,

Don't worry, I'm in no rush. We just moved so we'll be settling down for some time before I seriously begin looking for a dog.

My wife had two schnauzers growing up and she also really wants a dog. She never has any problems around them, so I assume her allergies aren't too severe.

And owning a dog really isn't a question about if as it is about when. I just about gave up the ghost last fall trying to track down ducks in slough mud up to my crotch. One more season like that and I'll quit hunting. Shooting birds isn't as enjoyable without a dog by your side.

If your wife actually really wants the dog as well they do have allergy shots that she could get. My mom went through a series of them...more often at first, but then eventually you only have to have 1 or so a year I think. She use to not be able to be around dogs at all, but now has no or only very minor problems being around and staying in the same house as a dog. Just an idea I figured I would through out there in case you were not aware of them.

Good luck with the search. Everything is more enjoyable with a well trained dog by your side.

... For instance, my wife is allergic to pet dander, so it has to by hypoallergenic. It can't shed. Has to like water for waterfowl but also bode well as an upland dog. Oh, and it can't be too big but I'm not keen on dogs like spaniels because they're too small.

I desperately want a lab, but the whole allergy and shedding thing would be a no-go. ...

I almost hate to say this but...

Labradoodle.

The problem with a labradoodle is that there is still way to much variation in them. You could end up with one that was hypoallergenic, but also could end up with one that put off as much dander as a normal lab. There really is no set standard on them and its a cr*p shoot on what you end up with. Other things as well, but I will not go there.

My wife was diagnosed with pet allergies in the past. From my reseach, I found that there are no truly hypo-allergenic breeds. The best you can do is to control the dander and allergens. Things like bathing the dog frequently, brushing them regularly with a Furminator, and keeping them out of bedrooms and sleeping areas where. It's also a lot easier to clean and maintain hardwood, laminate and tile flooors versus vacuuming carpet constantly.

You might also want to consider your local humane society. We ended up going that route and found a wonderful dog that was found wandering around one of the local trailer parks. The family who abandoned him are pet hoarders (buy puppies and let htem loose when they reach adulthood) according to the humane society staff. He's a knucklehead but a great family dog and suits us well. The key to a dog from the pound though is to take the whole family, get the dogs out of the kennels and spend some time with each to make sure they have the personality you're looking for. I fell in love with a Vizsla there that kept tackling my small children in a playful way. I knew it would be a long row to hoe to train him so we went with a dog with a more laid back personality.

Its tough to find Vizslas at the humane society. Most are adopted by people associated with the Twin Cities Vizsla Club who then work to find the best possible home for the dog.

If you want laid back a Vizsla won't be the right dog. They are super fun and loving but it takes some time to get them to contain their excitement. My Vizsla is almost a year and a half now and he can control himself most of the time but he still has days where he will just lose his mind and start jumping on everyone.

I was in the same situation as you are. I decided to go with a Pudelpointer and I am happy with my decision. As stated earlier, there are no truly hypo-allergenic breeds but the Pudel is close. He does shed some but I give him a bath every week and that helps out a ton. My wifes allergies have not been a problem with him as they are with other dogs. He loves the water and is a great field dog. He is much the same as a Vizsla as he has to be by my side at all moments which can get annoying but I respect the loyalty. I can get you the name of the breeder I got him from if you want. He does have a lot of energy but if you walk him or take him to the dog park, he is great. Hope this helps..

I wasn't saying anything negative about Vizlas btw, I think they are great and really liked the one we looked at, but he as an individual dog was too hyper and we didn't have the time to train him. The beagle we got on the otherhand, can be a knucklehead and get very excited when the hunt is on but he also enjoys lolling around for hours on the couch, rug or wherever he can find to relax.

One other thing to consider is having the dog live outside full time. I know plenty of people that do this and with the right set-up, many dogs and people love that arrangement. A good kennel off the garage with a doggie door into a run inside it or just a heated house within the kennel.

Well, I found a reputable breeder in Horace, N.D. He has four GWP males left of a 12-dog litter and we're going to check them out Thursday. I wasn't sure if a GWP would be the dog for me, but after talking to some people who have his pups from past litters and reading reviews, I think it will be the perfect dog.

I think I may rub a pup under my wife's nose for 10 minutes and see what happens. If she doesn't sneeze, we're golden wink

Allergy meds are also an option. My father in law was extremely allergic to his Brits, even to the point of buying a $5K dog trailer, but after trying a few different allergy meds he found one that took care of it. I did the same thing when I moved in with my wife and a couple cats which I was extremely allergic to.