• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

World Cup 2010

JimBuck

With the opening kickoff just a few days away I wanted to start a thread and see if we've got any Soccer fans on FM? I'm looking forward to the matchup on Saturday between USA vs. England. If we can get past England we should be able to win the group and move on. Even if your not a big fan, the games are worth watching just for how much talent is out there competing.

GO USA!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to England/USA as well. I am not a big soccer guy, but have been overseas a few times, and have grown an appreciation for the World Cup.

Rooney is going to be difficult to contain. Hopefully they can avoid the 1v1 opportunities and keep him on the outside. It looks like we've got a very solid defense with a lot of experience. Tim Howard is going to really have to play well to keep England from scoring.

Offensively, I think the US might have some trouble finishing chances but with the way Donovan,Gomez,Dempsey and Edu have been playing I hope to see them put up some points early.

This is when I'm a soccer fan, this sport is HUGE worldwide, and anytime I can watch some potential beatdown by the USA over the rest of the world at thier sport, I'm in.

Otherwise, soccer is pretty boring. Beats curling though. wink

My boss is from England so I have been learning a bit about soccer(football) but mostly Rugby! He competed at a national level so he gets pretty excited about it.

His last trip over he brought me back a rugby ball and an authentic soccer jersey...

Another guy at work is a HS soccer coach so they have all kinds of wagers on the game...

I never watch soccer but I will be watching whatever I can catch through out the Cup. I am always a fan when it comes to watching the best in the world at a particular sport. It is very similar to the olympics as each country puts out there best players to see who is best in the WORLD.

On a side note, did anyone else hear the complaints about the ball. It is made by Adidas and it is not getting good reviews. In fact one goalie said it flies like a wiffle ball. eek Others have said they can clearly see it change trajectory in flight. This might not be the advertising Adidas is looking for.

We were in NYC four years ago during the World Cup. It was amazing to see the nationalism in the city when it came to soccer. You knew which bar to go to based on which flag they had flying out front and it was really cool. We were in Soho during the French/Italy match when the famous head but occurred. I thought there was going to be a fight in the streets.

I'm not a soccer guy by any means, but saw a neat perspective on the diversity of some places in this country that we don't see around here.

Quote:
Why is that? Gotta be the only sport in the world where spectators can be killed before, during or after the game.

That's not even close to accurate zamboni. Maybe we should start a list of all the riots in the US over NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB or NCAA championships/losses...............

Lakers championship last year, Celtics year before and how about the Steelers fan that went blind when a Bears fan spiked his drink.............not just soccer.........

To get back on topic, I for one am not a 365 soccer fan, but I do follow it as my cousin had a good shot of making the World Cup team. I will watch as many matches as I can (US or otherwise) until the tournament is over. The US team got lucky today, but I thought they played pretty well. Howard deserved the "Man of the Match" and I can't wait for the next game!

Make the nets twice as big and get rid of 3 players from each side and we have a better sport to watch.

I have a feeling we'll get stunned 1-NIL in one of the 2 upcoming games we are favored in....

I thought the constant showing of England's coach whining about everything was more annoying than the Kazoo sound which was irritating enough in itself..

Go U.S.A!

That's not even close to accurate zamboni. Maybe we should start a list of all the riots in the US over NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB or NCAA championships/losses...............

Those are riots, and very isolated incidents you listed. I am talking actually killing of other people, its happened more than once, it blows my mind how passionate people around the world are about their teams is all

They may ban the vuvuzela -- a three-foot-long plastic trumpet traditionally blown throughout games to create an atmosphere. However, by pumping out sound up to 130 decibels -- 10 decibels above the human pain threshold -- they also are associated with causing hearing loss and communication problems on the pitch. Along with annoying Television viewers the vuvezela may have to be banned from the event.

Seriously they're 3 feet long?....LOL!