• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

West Central Bowhunter 60

This years West Central Bowhunter 60 will be held on August 14th and 15th with registration from 9am - 3pm saturday and 9am - 2pm sunday!

Come to enjoy the rolling hills and grasslands of the Prairie Woods Environmental Learning Center. Little Crow

Archers of Willmar & Swift County Archers of Benson have teamed up to host this 60-Target 3-D shoot.

Shoot it in one day, or make a weekend of it and shoot both days! Our promise is that you will not be disappointed!

Highlights include, Generous sized walking trails, On-site concessions, and seating deck!

Stakes for : Adult, Youth, Traditional, and Cubs

All on over 100 Acres! 90% Rinehart Targets

Full Course (60-Targets) $20 Adults ~ $15 Youth 16 & under ~ $55 Family Max

1/2 Course (30-Targets) $12 Adults ~ $8 Youth 16 & under ~ $32 Family Max

Shoot Location:

Prairie Woods

Environmental Learning

Center

12718 10th St NE

Spicer, MN 56288

GPS coordinates:

N 45° 14.716 W 95° 1.777

@1.5 Miles West of Hwy 71 on County Road 29

www.littlecrowarchers.com

We went last year! Was an AWESOME course! You guys did a great job on the set-up! Those open area shots at the start really kicked my butt. We will definately be coming again this year.

I think that sounds like enough stuff......we have concessions set up where the sign in is at and also put out a few coolers of bottled water out throughout the coarse and if it is anything like last year for weather those coolers of water were greatly appreciated!!

Most of the targets on the coarse are youth friendly with the exception of a few shots that had obstacles in the way, otherwise most of the shots can be handled by younger shooters!

We've never done 3D shooting. What can we expect?

I'm picturing 60 targets setup on trails going through the woods. Turn a corner, see a target, guess range, and shoot. Is that the general idea?

With 60 targets and my first time, should I expect to lose a lot of arrows? I can shoot tight groups at the range (20 and 30yds) but everything changes when I'm not certain of distance and strange angles come into play.

My 7-year-old is excited about shooting his new bow there also but again same questions about losing arrows. He can hit a small block consistently at 10 and 20 yards but by no means shoots tight groups.

I've never shot this course but from other courses I've shot, a lot depends on the set-up of the course, if its set up as realistic hunting scenarios, most of the targets will be 20-30 yards away. Sometimes they'll have longer shots at an elk or mt goat. A stake will be set in the ground showing you where to stand, with a closer stake for youth. Take some extra arrows, you may lose or wreck a few. If the shots are too long, I will sometimes skip them or walk up closer, I don't like screwing around looking for lost arrows on a shot that I wouldn't take on a live animal. Also take an arrow puller (I think its called a 'gorilla grip') or piece of rubber, sometimes its really hard to get arrows out of those 3D targets.

Maybe someone thats helping with the setup will chime in on the course setup.

I'm cutting short my camping weekend in order to get there on Sunday, looking forward to it!!!

One way to make sure your arrows pull out easier is to bring a bar of soap and rub it on the arrow for the first 4 inches. A lot of people collect the little bars from the hotels for that. I've used the expensive stuff that is sold for easier arrow removal and the bar soap works just about as good. Reapply every couple targets and they should pull out easier.

Alot of good questions, I will try to answer them as best as I can.

The course is 90 pecent Rinehart targets so arrow removal on them should be fairly easy but an arrow puller is nice to have along if you have one. This is a non competitive shoot so it is staked out at different distances from 10-60 yards with youth and traditioal stakes closer, but if you want to shoot closer for your setup style thats ok to. What ever you are comfortable with is great. We want this to be a fun shoot for everyone. Rangefinders are welcome also. We will have score cards for everyone but you don't have to score or turn one in. Hope to see everyone out there.

Sounds like a great course. I plan on attending along with probably 6 other people from our Sportsmens Club in Herman. Hope you guys have a great turnout. What is the distance of the course all the way through? Just curious because the girlfriend will be shooting one of her first shoots and just wondering if we will make it through all 60 or just do 30. Thank you.

Should be a great weekend weather wise for the shoot!! Last year we had a great turnout so if all those show up again and maybe bring a few extra friends it should be even better, plus we advertised a little more this year which should help!! smile Distance wise the course is pretty reasonable with easy walking and nice trails to each target, which get better as the day goes on with all the traffic! As far as time it takes to do the course, i would say it takes anywhere from 3 and a half hours to 5 hours to do the whole course depending on how many people are out there!! The good part is that you can just shoot the 30 and if you decide to shoot the rest of the course you will be charged accordingly!

Oh....and a bar of soap is a great idea for pulling arrows out!

ENJOY!!!