• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hit a BIG rock

Thought I was in the river channel when this great big rock jumped off the bottom and I hit it with the motor destroying the prop. Okay, not a real big deal, the local outboard dealer just happened to have another one on hand. So I buy the new prop, get home, back the boat into the garage and get ready to put it on. Then I noticed oil dripping on the floor and a hole in the lower unit straight forward from the prop. I also noticed that about an inch of the skeg is missing. Guess I hit it a little harder than I thought.

Anyhoo, what am I looking at for repair costs (it's a 90hp, 4 stroke Johnson)? It's not a very big hole, can it be patched? I had to go another 4 miles or so to the landing and it ran okay other than some vibration so I don't think there's any other damage.

Thanks!!!

They aren't cheap. If you have insurance on the boat, call your company and tell them what happened. Only out the deductible that way and your deductible is cheaper than the new lower unit your going to buy.

Friend at work did the same thing last year and had the boat back in a week.

I agree, gonna have to get it replaced. Especially when you say you ran 4 miles with a hole in the lower unit there is a good chance the bearings are on the way out now also, since they don't like contaminants and low oil.

If you don't have boat insurance, your home owners insurance may cover the fix also.

You may be able to find a used one on the popular online auction sites, but even those are no guaranty there is nothing wrong with them.

About 7 years ago, I did the same exact thing to my 90 hp Johnson. It was VERY expensive... I'm guessing around 4 grand or so, but I don't remember exactly. My boat insurance covered it, minus the deductible. Good luck.

Yeah, I do have boat insurance. Going to contact them first thing Monday morning. And thanks for the replies everyone!!!

It was VERY expensive... I'm guessing around 4 grand or so, but I don't remember exactly.

7.gif

2 years back I totaled my lower unit also. 175 Suzuki. It was $6k with a $250 deduct.. Def not cheap.. Im gonna take a guess and say most of it was labor related costs..

Wow! for four grand you could almost buy a whole new outboard, dude, you got ripped off. It should be expensive but thats just outragious.

Let me know where I can buy a new 90 horse for 4 grand, cuz that's where I'm doin' business from now on... wink

I found an ad for the company I was thinking of. It is SEI Marine and it looks like they sell new lower units for a decent price. All I know is what is in the ad, which was in trailer boats magazine (since bass and walleye boats went under)

I can't tell if their products will fit your motor but it might be worth a look. Especially if your insurance doesn't pay.

I was just kinda curious as to what these lower units should cost...

This is what I found with a quick search. Kinda tough to read. but its showing about $2000 for a new one, $1900 of re-manufactured. (doesn't include labor i assume). I didn't have the year which might make a little difference.

Vendor 2

For over 17 years we have been dedicated to providing our dealer network with the highest quality sterndrive and outboard components known in the industry.

HP CYL LTR/CID Description Price Core **S&H Subtotal

90-140 Rebuilt, V4 Large Gearcase fits: 90-115 25"(1995-2007), 120/140 25"(1992-1994) and 130 20"(1995-2001) $1899.00 No Core Call Us $1899.00 View

90-140 New, V-4 Large Gearcase Fits: 90-115hp(XL 1995-2007), 130hp(L & XL 1995-2001) and 120hp, 140hp(XL 1992-1994) $2050.00 No Core Call Us $2050.00 View

Vendor 200

Quality in Marine Remanufacturing for over 24 years! Our multi-step Remanufacturing Process has been perfected over the years to give you years of trouble free boating.

HP CYL LTR/CID Description Price Core **S&H Subtotal

75-115 Rebuilt, V4 2 PIECE D-SHAFT EXTERNAL SCREEN $1493.75 $300.00 Call Us $1793.75 View

The SEI lower units are $795, plus some odds and ends that could be another couple hundred. The bad news is that it looked like they didn't have anything to fit a suzuki/johnson 4stroke. My guess is that the reason it is so high is that the only source is a new one from suzuki or BRP.

I wonder if one of the outboard salvage places might have something from a Suzuki that would be cheaper.

Update: The adjuster finally showed up today and the parts are on the way. Couldn't find a complete lower unit so they're going to get all the parts and put them together. If they could have found the whole lower unit, the cost would've been around $2500 but since it involves a lot more labor and the parts seperately are more expensive, the total is going to come to $3300. I was all for ordering the parts right away but they weren't sure if the insurance company would just total the motor due to the exptra cost and the high end blue book on it is only $5200.

Anyhoo, I should be back on the water by Saturday. 10.gif

Update: The adjuster finally showed up today and the parts are on the way. Couldn't find a complete lower unit so they're going to get all the parts and put them together. If they could have found the whole lower unit, the cost would've been around $2500 but since it involves a lot more labor and the parts seperately are more expensive, the total is going to come to $3300. I was all for ordering the parts right away but they weren't sure if the insurance company would just total the motor due to the exptra cost and the high end blue book on it is only $5200.

Anyhoo, I should be back on the water by Saturday. 10.gif

So this is covered by your insurance company? You just had to pay the deductible?