• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailer Tires - To Many Blow Outs - Opinions

LooseMoose

I've had two blow outs in the last 3 years using Carlisle tires pulling a 1750 Crestliner on a Shorelander trailer. Always maintan a full 50 psi and try to keep my speed under 70. Been using ST175-80R-13C. Thinking of trying some Goodyear Marathons in a 185-80R-13C, which will give me a little more towing capacity, and still should fit within the wheel well (.6inches diam. larger)

Anyone experence the same?

Any opinions on Goodyear's trailer tires?

Thanks for any input,

Have your trailer put on a rack to make sure that the axles are aligned properly. On my old boat I was going through at least a tire per year. Actually blew two tires once on the way to LOTW, that was not fun. Had it aligned, and presto the problem was fixed.

The max pressure for those tires is 50psi, (checked on tire and web site). I've even read you can go up 60 psi if you’re trailering near the max load capacity, haven’t tryed that though. The load capacity for a ST175/80R/13C is as mentioned 1360lbs., that’s why I thought of stepping up too the ST185/80R/13C which bumps up it up to 1480lbs. Not much difference but there only a few dollars more.

I’ve measured for the increase in overall diameter (.6inches) and it looks like it shouldn’t be a problem.

Anyone know of a reason why I shouldn’t try that?

As mentioned, I agree, I think the trailer is at its max (with 13” tires) for my boat.

Thought I’d check out the load capacity using these tires.

My boat weighs approximately 1100 lbs.

My boat motor weighs approximately 400 lbs

My kicker weighs approximately 100 lbs

Misc. 200 lbs

1800 lbs total

ST175/80R/13C Load Cap. 1360 lbs x 2 = 2720 lbs

ST185/80R/13C Load Cap 1480 lbs x 2 = 2960 lbs

Question, Is that how you calculate tire capacity? Tire capacity times 2 tires?

If correct, I'm well within the tire capacity

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments!

Actually when I was blowing tires there was no odd tire wear at all. What was happening was that it was fine for local fishing, but when I went on my long LOTW trip the it would put enough strain on the tire that it would blow. There was also not enough time between new tires to even see any odd tire wear. So that is not an end all be all to alignment issues.

TSchultz,

Sounding like I better look into that. Couple questions:

Where does a guy get the alignment checked on a boat trailer?

Is it expensive?

Do you need to remove the boat?

Thanks for the input!

The max pressure for those tires is 50psi, (checked on tire and web site). I've even read you can go up 60 psi if you’re trailering near the max load capacity, haven’t tryed that though.

I would strongly recommend that you do not inflate your tires past their max rating, which is 50psi. Who told you to go to 60psi? Why would you believe them? Why are you willing to take that chance?

Take the boat to a local grain elevator or truck stop and weigh the boat & trailer. I think you may be shocked to find out how much it actually weighs!

In your estimate I don't see batteries, gas or the trailer itself.

Using the factory specs I had estimated my boat & trailer at 2700 lbs. I included 500 lbs for fuel & batteries and 200 lb for tackle boxes, coolers and misc. stuff. When I put it on the scales it was 3270 lbs!

Haven't done that nor I'm I planning on it.

Read it on a service bulletin intended for Goodyear dealers whose customers want to drive faster than 65mph see below, sorry about the formatting, pulled it from a PDF file.

NOTE: Even though it says its ok in this doc., it still dosn't make sense to me

Product Service Bulletin

Important Information To Better Service Your Customers

Post For Ready Reference

March 6, 2006

PSB #2006-06

TO: Goodyear Company Owned Outlets

Goodyear Contract Dealers

Subject: Marathon Special Trailer Applications - General Information

Goodyear Marathon tires are widely used in a variety of towable trailer applications and are designed and branded as “ST” (Special Trailer) tires. This bulletin is designed to help you obtain the best performance from tires with the ST (Special Trailer)

designation. Please review the following important points with your Goodyear Marathon customers.

Industry standards dictate that tires with the ST designation are speed restricted to 65 MPH under normal inflation and load conditions unless a different speed restriction is indicated on the sidewall of the tire.

Based on industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph,

it is necessary to increase the cold inflation pressures by 10 psi above the recommended pressure for the

load.

o Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel.

o If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the

maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph.

o The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi beyond the inflation specified for the

maximum load of the tire.

Drivers should always obey posted speed limits and reduce speeds when necessary based on vehicle, road, weather or traffic conditions.

Trailers tires should be operated at inflation pressures that are specified by the trailer manufacturer.

The trailer manufacturer’s inflation information can usually be found in the owner’s manual, tire information placard or vehicle certification label, usually located on the forward left side of the trailer.

Cold inflation pressures should be checked every morning during trips and monthly while in storage.

Take the boat to a local grain elevator or truck stop and weigh the boat & trailer. I think you may be shocked to find out how much it actually weighs!

Pat K,

Great points and idea! Maybe I'm closer to the tire load capacity than I think.

Thanks for the idea,

Yup, that Goodyear statement says 10psi "above the recommended pressure," not above the maximum psi. Plus it goes on to state not to exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel.

In an earlier post, you stated that you could inflate them to 60psi but that you hadn't tried it. I was concerned that you were considering doing that. Either way, it sounds like you might just take your trailer to a tire shop and have them look at it. They can check the alignment, balance, etc....and also try to sell you new tires, so watch out! Good luck.

Hey SkunkedAgain,

Nope, never intended to even try it, although my wording sounded as if i may. Sounds like, this will be my plan......have the alginment checked and most likly a set of new Goodyears. Also sounds like $$$$$

Thanks and have a good one!

I had the same issues with Carlise tires, I bought new Good years, problem solved. Also when you are going on these trips, are you loading the boat full of stuff? All the stuff in your boat adds up fast! If possible load all heavy stuff in the truck, not in the boat.

Great point/tip! I've heard a few bad things about Carlise's lately. I usally don't haul to much in the boat. Although a couple trips to Canada it was rather full (but no blow outs those times). Go figure?

The heavist stuff I bring would be in the truck......................the brewskis on ice! wink

I hate pitching for places but go into the place that offers tires at a discount. Bring the trailer and boat in and tell them what's going on. Like's already been stated have them check your axle. If you axle is bent that might have something to do with it. Most tire shops do not straighten axles. The so called alignment is hard to get right on a trailer with a straight non adjustable axle and hub set up. They can balance the tires but this does little other than help piece of mind on a single axle boat trailer that is going to get bounced all over the place with that small of tires and that big of a boat on it. Your trailer is a bit on the small side for your boat I'm guessing. Price point boat and trailer set up that are all to common from dealers. Put just a cheap enough package together to get the customer out the door as cheap as possible.

As already has been stated you'd pee your pants if you put your boat on a scale with all your gear in it. If your dry weight is on a guess #1,800 my guess is you're pushing past #2,500 pounds at least. You didn't include your trailer into the mix. Those ratings are for new tires in a perfect world. The life of a boat trailer tire is far from a perfect world. Sitting over the winter and being used in water and on hot tar roads through the summer is terrible on all trailer tires tread seams. That is were most wear over time occurs. The tire tread actually pulls off from the tire side wall if Ive got the right verbage. That's were a cheap just enough tire doesn't cut the mustard.

If you can afford it or do it yourself by moving the fenders up if need be go to a 14" higher load rated tire. It will not only give you more capacity but will help the ride out and keep the boat from bouncing around quit as much helping the boat, transom and motor out. Not to mention your gear.

Good year tires all the way. Have had more than one non good year tire blow out on the way to LOW. Long drives are hard on tires and your boat. Have talked to guys at tire shops in International Falls, Baudette as well as other places about tires. Lots of insight into tires from those guys. They see it daily through the summer on campers and boat trailer tires. The tires tread is fine most times it's the age of the tire and sitting for long periods of time that help with the seperation of tread from the side wall.

If you go with a bigger tire make sure it doesn't rub against the frame or fenders that'll kill a tire right quick.

Another thing that can help is covering your tires through the winter with a light colored tire cover. Can help reduce the elements on the tire.

It's a pain most guys have had to deal with and learn the hard way on . My wife and I own an older camper sitting on 2 axles so 4 tires there, a dual axle trailer under my main fishing rig so 4 more tires, a jon boat with with 2 tires under it, a small utility trailer 2 more tires and a car hauler with 4 more tires. Have had blow outs while pulling a tractor and on the big boat with her in the truck. She don't like blow outs or the cost of tires one bit and gets very frustrated with trailer tires. Just the nature of the beast though.

if you clean the wheel itself both on the inside and outside and look for a stamp it will tell you what the wheel is rated for as far as air pressure. just because you read 50 psi on the tire does not mean that is what the wheel will hold. could be your putting too much air in and the flex is pulling the bead away from the rim. have seen it before, looks like a balloon. not sure why you wont get it weighed, but that is your thing, much cheaper than an alignment etc. you could take it to a body shop or tractor trailer frame shop and have them check it, but if you are not seeing odd wear patterns which you would in 50 miles doubt that is the issue. if you go up in size to a 14 or 15 inch, it will also increase the footprint that you are pulling or easier terms putting more rubber on the road. good luck, i hate problems that crop up especially when there is just a bad tire initial thought.

I hate pitching for places but go into the place that offers tires at a discount. Bring the trailer and boat in and tell them what's going on. Like's already been stated......................

Basseyes,

Great reply with lots of solid information! You hit it on the head with "Your trailer is a bit on the small side for your boat I'm guessing. Price point boat and trailer set up that are all to common from dealers. Put just a cheap enough package together to get the customer out the door as cheap as possible."

Thanks for your input,