• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Starter not engaging flywheel?

bobbymalone

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff so bear with me...

When I turn the key the starter turns but the little gear on the top of the starter motor doesn't pop up to turn the flywheel. The starter doesn't appear to have a secondary circuit that operates a magnet or something to pop it up. It almost seems like it should just pop up as it turns.

Like I said the starter turns, and I can turn it by hand. I cannot, however, move the little gear thing up and down on the shaft. Should I be able to?

Any help? Is it new starter time?

BTW the starter hadn't turned in a long long long time before I tried it tonight. It's an 82 Evinrude 75 HP, 3 cyl, 2 stroke.

Hi noob. grin

The engagement gear for the starter should slide up the starter motor shaft when it gets voltage, thus engaging the flywheel. I have a similar motor, and I'm working off memory so bear with me a bit. I believe it's spring loaded to disengage from the flywheel when the starter motor isn't getting voltage.

You can get rebuild kits for these starters. Depending on how mechanically inclined you are a rebuild is possible. Otherwise, I believe you are correct in saying it's time for a new starter. Which, is quite simple to replace.

The bendix and pinion gear are likely dry and a little dirty. Spray a little WD-40 between the pinion and the bendix (shaft the pinion gear runs up and down on) Let ti sit for a little bit then take 2 screw drivers and GENTLY pry up on the gear. Once its free then yea you can move it easily by hand. Use a little more WD to clean it up.

The drag between the gear and bendix from the fast sudden rotation of the starter motor is what sends the the gear up into the flywheel. Once cleaned and it moves freely, you can put a light grease (lithium) film on the bendix.

I just had the same problem with my starter. I was thinking about just buying a new one but decided to take it apart first and see what I could do. What I found was where the brushes contact the rotor was dirty causing a bad connecting that would allow the starter to turn but not fast enough to engage the flywheel. So I cleanned them up put it back together and it worked great. It was not the easiest job to do but it saved me several hundred dollars. I would try everything else before you try and clean up the rotor because it does come apart easy but getting the brushes back in contact with the rotor correctly is a pain. Hope this helps.

Well I got some WD40 in there and let it soak all day, tried to pry it.... no go. Sprayed a little Deep Creep in there and let it sit overnight, uhhh yeah, no.

I'm thinking it is completely welded with rust and WD just can't get in there to free it up.

Looking like it's new starter time.

Thanks for the help guys!

it wont pull straight out it will actually turn will moving outward. you could take a brass punch and tap on it trying to move it outward, if you can get it in there. could be the whole darn thing is locked up and not just the bendix. a good rebuild shop will either have one that is rebuilt or can do it for you. unless it is grenaded it should be rebuildable.

I thought starter rebuilds were for bad brushes and whatnot. I took the thing apart and it's clean inside, brushes and whatnot look good, etc.

The problem is that the pinion gear is welded to the bendix with rust. It turns with the shaft it just doesn't go up.

There has been a whole lot tapping through various means to free that thing in conjunction with a ample dose of WD40/deepcreep. When it began to look grim, some of that tapping started to move more toward bashing and still no go.

Almost choked after calling around the cities and hearing of $200+ starters at various marine dealers. What did people do before internet shopping? A new starter is on the way for $130.

Well Bobby you ended up shuckin out some cash anyway, but it was at least worth some effort. I have a feeling though that had you freed it up, there would be trouble down the road if it had rusted up that bad anyway. Good call in my opinion to bite the bullet and get a new one.

Before the innernets? well, you just went down to the local dealership and ordered one up and payed the asking price. Shopping around in the comfort of your own home can pay off as you now well know.

New starter came in on Friday. Bolted it on, primed the bulb, turned the key....

starter turns the flywheel, but she won't light up.

oh yeah maybe i should I should try the choke

Bam... off she goes. Spins like a freakin top. 12+ years in the shed and it runs like it came off the showroom yesterday.

Taking her out to put it through the paces tonight. WOO-HOO!!!