• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canoe With Trolling Motor - How To Mount My Canoe Motor On A Canoe.

I want a canoe with trolling motor. I have a standard 17 foot Alumacraft canoe and I want to mount my bow mount Minnkota on it so I can use the foot activated directional control. I will build my own mount but am curious...Does anyone have any first hand recommendations as to mounting my canoe motor on the cap of the canoe at the back or over the first brace between the gunnels closest to the back (slightly in front of my back seat which would put the drive further off the center line)? My concerns are 1) steering control (I am sure way in the back is best) 2) keeping trolled lines out of the prop 3) maneuverability when it is stored in the bunk and we are using the paddles. Thanks for your input.

The FishLocker

I got no idea what would be best but am wondering if mounting it in the bow of the canoe would give you more control. Maybe if you're planning on building a mount for your canoe motor, you could try it in a few different locations and see what you prefer. I imagine where the load is in your canoe will make a difference. Will you be fishing mainly by yourself or with another person in your canoe with trolling motor?

I will mainly be fishing by myself and seated in the rear to keep the line away from the boat. I thought having the motor close would give me the option to lift it quickly if it gets shallow...mounted at the front of the boat would be a loooong crawl in that 17 footer if I had to move fast. It makes sense to put it in front though, since that is where I sit to paddle when alone for better control. I will post pic's when I get it figured out. Thanks for the feedback...ya' got my canoe motor runnin'...or at least my brain engaged!

Good point about wanting to be able to reach in case of getting too shallow. Is their some sort of device on trolling motors that will let it kick up if it hits something? I used to sail catamarans and the rudders would do that if you went too shallow.

Now wouldn't THAT be great. You need to patent that one! Unfortunately there is not an emergency or "solid object" release like a rudder spring mechanism. It is 10 years old, so maybe the new ones have such an option. Looking at the canoe layout this weekend, I see the 2 struts between the gunnels are spaced the same distance from the ends and identical specs, same goes for identical bow and stern caps, so what ever I build will be able to be used front or back depending on if I am alone or with others. Graet idea, thanks!

The motor is still runnin'

The FishLocker

Ive done it this way for years.

I put the canoe motor on a side mount, located approx over the backseat

I put the battery in the front.... had to extend the cables.

I sit in the middle.

Now your balanced and stable.

If you don't seperate the canoe motor and battery ... trouble.

Steering ?

I NEVER, EVER turn the canoe motor... just dip a paddle to turn.

Lock the canoe motor to face forward... leave it.

Shallow water ?

Far better to raise the canoe motor than to try to lift/tip it.

Lift and tip .... good chance you'll be swimming.

Raise it straight up.

Never had a problem with trolled lines.

That's how I mount a canoe motor on a canoe.

Good Luck

Thanks for all the input.

Had some free time last weekend and made a prototype that fits over the brace between the gunnels. Will fit front or back, but lake was way too calm to test how it will work (in a normal Walleye chop or more). Will test again this weekend, and if it works well I will photograph and give parts list.

The FishLocker

Well guys, I am sorry this has taken so long to finish. Water time has been limited, so the canoe project went to the back burner.

Here is what I found.

Project #1 was a mount at the spreader bar between the gunnels. Works great for forward motion, but is too close to the center of the boat for navigation. To turn the motor only tries to push the canoe sideways rather than turn the boat. Because of that, you can navigate as PartyWhine mentioned with a paddle tucked under your arm, but that makes it very difficult to set the hook etc when trolling and it is constant armpit changes if you are following irregular weedbeds etc. I am keeping the wooden mount as it makes a great calm water seat, and is being accessorized to accommodate cup holders, pan fish basket etc.(which shows on photo if somone can tell me how to insert a picture here)

Project #2 was a mount over the bow or stern cap. The caps are identical so can be mounted in the rear for calm days and sitting in the back, or on the bow for gusty or breezy days for better control. I chose solid Oak for the rear board and the “hook” part (looks like two small slots, but is a separate piece screwed to the bottom of the back plate). The "hook" is the part that catches under the gunnels and the small “hooks” take all of the stress when mounted in back and moving forward (I did not want to risk them snapping off, as they might with pine). The V shaped piece fits over the point of the cap and the metal rod goes through the tie down eye on the front of the canoe, through the mounting plate and is secured easily with a washer and cotter pin.

Installation takes all of 15 seconds.

Also, with the release catch so close, you can either pull the motor up or tilt it up if you get into shallow or weedy water without sacrificing stability of the boat. This model is a GO! Easy to use the motor to change direction, and as a bow mount I do that with my foot pedal.

Thank you all, for your input and questions as we ended up with a great way to use those mothballed bow mount trolling motors that are gathering dust in our garages.

I do have photo's ready to copy and paste, but cannot seem to get it to paste...anyone help me with that????

Keep your motors runnin’

The FishLocker

ya, well I tried 'copy and paste' for pictures and that didn't work. Got the scoop on posting photo's from the great people at HSO. Then was able to come back and post the photo's. I am sorry they could not be merged and inserted where they belong, but I found out you cannot edit your post the following day.

This is a great site. Great members sharing lots of information, and a great staff helping to keep it running smoothly.

My fishing hat is off to you all. Thank you.

The FishLocker

Wow ... I'm impressed. Excellent excecution of a good idea.

You might want to patent this.

I hope you'll give us some feedback on how it performs on the water.

I suspect you'll be extremely vulnerable to the wind if you don't bow mount.

And you'll still need a paddle.

But it would appear you've achieved every canoeists dream ... a quiet and relentless partner in the bow.

When I return from vacationing next week I'll post some pics of my canoe.

1 thing to be aware of:

Your trolling motor will flip you in a heartbeat if you accidently turn it on high power when the shaft is perpendicular to the canoe. This should'nt be a concern if you leave your autopilot off.

It'll be a quick barrel roll! I would also suggest tying your battery to something incase you tip.

RedLantern, thanks for the heads up on licensing. I called DNR and found out there is no extra license or charge to be motorized, but I do have to have the license numbers on my license sticker posted on the side of the boat so people can report me for excessive speed etc (ya, just joking on the excessive speed...but not really...read on)

For those that want a performance reivew...I have to caution you...there is one aspect that makes this dangerous. I have found with such power and speed available up front, that I am much too eager to get on the lake when I have no business being out there in a canoe. It raises your confidence level to idiotic levels (please take me at my word on that one). Other than that, it is the Front Man Power Partner that I have dreamed of. The powered turning for directional control up front to keep you on track for good trolling is fantastic even in decent wind. I usually turn it around and back into shore so I dont have to pull up the motor till after making contact with the beach (next to my dock I already know it is deep enough to accomodate the motor depth). Because the canoe is so light (compared to the 17 foot Alumacraft it used to be hooked up to), it seems like the battery lasts for ever...and the speed is amazing when you open it up.

I will be taking the advice of quite a number of you all, and getting a patent. After talking to a large number of fisherpersons my age, it seems like about half of them have retired bow mount trolling motors gathering dust in the garage and many also have a canoe they no longer take out because they just dont want to paddle anymore. That and the guy on Cedar Lake that yelled "Hey, where did you get that "thing" for your trolling motor...I need one for my canoe".

Thank you all for your input and encouragement. I appreciate it.

The FishLocker

Reopening an old thread to give credit. This gave me in idea. I built a permanent mount for my bow mount and it works nicely. I also have side floats which prevent the canoe from tipping. The bow electric is a Minn Kota Power Drive V2 with the Co-Pilot remote control. It has 70 pounds of thrust with two batteries. And I have an on board charger. I also have a Minn Kota 55 on the rear of my Grumman double end, and an Evinrude 4.5hp engine. I made a double mount there too. The trailer has an extended tongue to hold all of the weight.

full-48283-46287-image.jpg

full-48283-46288-image.jpg

full-48283-46289-image.jpg