• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Problem removing seat

ThaiNinh

Hello I am having a problem removing the seat post from the base. It is one of those tapered lock ones. I was reading an instruction on the base and it says while pressing the unlock thing to hit the post with my other palm to break the seal. Makes no sense to me and it won't come off. Any help would be great. Thanks

That's how to do it. You don't have to whack it hard. With one hand depress the lock and apply upward pressure. With the palm of your other hand give the post a pop up high near the seat. This should break it loose. Once you get it out, clean the inside of the base and the outside of the post to make sure there is no sand grit. This is what usually makes them get stuck.

A little trick to prevent them from getting stuck in the future. The next time you empty a pail of ice cream, which around here is about once a week, save the lid. Cut out a donut to fit in the bottom of the pedestal mount. Now when you put the seat into the base, it won't be able to seat down quite so tight. Of course if you do this make sure your seat can still lock into the base. If it can't then you won't be able to use this tactic.

Originally Posted By: jeffreyd
would a little anti seize work on the post after cleaning?

I am gonna have to try that if I can get it off. Thanks

Anti-seize has a tendency of getting EVERYWHERE and it doesn't clean up easily. It will also attract dirt and make it gritty causing it to jam in tighter. I would keep everything clean and lube free and go with Bobs method. Anything that attracts dirt will cause problems.

We had this problem with a rental boat last year, we strip all the seats out for more room and the posts wouldnt come out. 2 hours and used everything up to a 24" pipe wrench and never would budge. This was on a fairly new Alumacraft, 2006 or 07.

Taper locks are the worst invention in the history of boating!!! smile I hate them. People who say they have never had one lock up simply don't use their boat much or it is very new, or maybe they are very lightweights, unlike some of us wink When one gets stuck, you simply have to "gorilla up" and shake the darned things with force, haha!

We have had a couple bases even break through the bottom after the alum base fatigues. As mentioned, clean them a time or two, all it takes is a wipe with a rag to help them out, and removing them now and then just for the heck of it seems to help some. I am a huge fan of the pin system, but with 6 bases and pedestals, we aren't going to spend the ca$h to swap them all, though I wish we would have long ago...

The darn things stick so much that we don't even use the "tabs" anymore, some broke off or we removed them, those things won't come out even in the bounciest waves! ha!

Good luck!

Why is it that the two things that are suppose to work the best seem to get where you dont want them and either stain or stick to high heaven, IE: anti seize and 90 weight gear lube. Two great products but just will end up on your hands or clothes without even touching them.

I've had some of these that were impossible. They get a little dirt/sand/corrosion in them and they are pretty much stuck.

If all else fails, pull the screws on the base and take the whole post/base assembly out. There is a nub on the bottom of the post that will stick through the bottom of the base. Give it a few whacks with a mallet or hammer while squeezing the tab and it should pop free. Then, clean it all up and they should work fine for a while.

I would stay away from any wet lube because it will attract dirt. Dry lube might work--I've never tried.

Just a warning:

I had the same problem. I put WD-40 on them and they worked great. Until I was bouncing across mille lacs and the thing poped out sending me flying. The lubricant eats at the plastic taper a little and wrecks them. Now I just put a little car wax on the part that goes into the base and never have a problem

when i had them in one of my older boats we got them apart, cleaned and then added chap stick....worked great for the season...next season same thing...chap stick is also used now on the snaps of my removable carpet...wosks awsome..snaps pop right apart with out any carpet or hardware damage...

Thank you for all the help. I agree with it being the dumbest invention. I didn't even get to try to take them out yet. So come this Thursday I will let ya'll know. Thanks again

What has worked well for me is Lock Cylinder lube. Get a small spray can that has the little red spray tube. Cheap, not messy and works great for me. Plus just keep in the boat and use as needed. I lube about once a year. Works wonders.

Mike