• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how should i practice my shooting?

im kind of new to archery. i have a 60-70 pound comp. bow set at 60 and i can shoot it fairly well but its been a while since i have shot (about a month and a half now) before i would shoot 5-10 shots and tire out and struggle to pull my 60 pound bow then after shooting 20 pound bows for 2 hours straight once every week for archery club in school i was soon able to draw my 60 pound bow alot smoother and more times than before but since archery club shoots are over now its been a while that i have gone back to were i started with my 60 pound bow! how should i get back on the shooting line? how should i practice my shots and how do i train for hunting situations like stalking and stand hunting?

also should i get a peep sight eliminator or should i stick with a peep? i have somewhat bad vision and a peep is sometimes blurry for me and i dont really like the view size.

kisser button for an anchor... any other anchor spots that can be helpful?

Practice practice practice. If you are struggling with a 60# bow I would get one that shoots a lower poundage. Unless you are shooting long range you don't need that much umph and you will be much more accurate and consistent with a lower poundage bow due to being able to hold steadier. Havent tried a kisser, if your form is good you should anchor in the same spot every time and not need a kisser. Also I have tried a peep eliminator called the No Peep. I didn't like it all that much, it seemed to throw me off and another thing to focus on so I went back to a peep. You could try it though and see how it goes.

i agree with ac777, maybe get a 50-60lb bow if you can afford it. I'm 39 and hunt with a 50-60.. 55lbs is plenty.. PLENTY.. Kissers are nice, any extra ref point to stabilize the draw.

as for the peep.. peeps are still a good idea, but you can get a larger one. Do a search for a product called a String Splitter.. its a very large peep. .I have been using one for the last 2 seasons and really like it.

The other parts of your questions would be to do some working out.

Some small weights when you walk will build some strength for stalking.

They have a rubber band archery exercisor that helps condition your muscles for archery hunters. BOWFIT, upper body exceriser..

You can find other things that would work too.

Walk up and down alot of hills if possible.

Another thing for you drawing your bow is using proper muscles to draw.

Not sure on the show, but they talked alot about people in general are not using the correct muscle groups to hold a bow back for a long time, we should be using more of our upper back and the muscles between our shoulder blades rather than arms, biceps, forearms. Since I have been working with that I can hold on longer, plus being a young 43 years old, I have got back into a regular workout schedule which is helping tremndously.

It is usually possible to buy new cams for a lower draw weight, that would ease your shooting problems. As DD says, 55# is plenty for harvesting anything. As for an extra anchoring point besides a kisser, you can simply use your knuckle or finger. I have no idea what release you use, or how you have your hand at full draw, so you may want to experiment.

I use a sabretooth release which wraps around the wrist. When I draw, my anchor point is simply the end of my thumb pressed into the back of my jaw about 1/2 in below my ear. There is a pressure point there, and that's where I hold. As I've had different releases, this changes, just have to experiment with what fits you best.

Myself, the only thing on my string is a peep, which you can buy in many sizes, which is nice especially for you if you have blurring problems. I encourage the use of kissers until you are experienced enough to know your anchor point, it's simply a guide. I'm sure with all the posts above, you will have plenty of good options to choose from to help you improve your ability to shoot. Good Luck!

In regards to shooting practice, I like to do some shooting from a tree stand the same height as I will hunt. I switched back to a pendulum sight so that angle in a tree is not that big of a deal anymore but I like to check it out anyways.

After you have your sight sighted in with your field points, then try a few of your broadheads to make sure they are flying the same.