• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northern Flicker, the greatest morning ever!!

I thought that I knew this species. This morning taught me to expect the unexpected smile It was as if I was wearing the cloak of invisibility. I put the stock on 11 flickers and got to within fifteen feet of 8 of them! That just does not happen.....ever! Doubters? Feel free to try, on most days, if you are lucky, you might get 1 out of 100 to be that cooperative. These are two seperate birds, exposures made within about a half hour.

Images made in Duluth. SonyA300, Sigma50-500mm, iso400, f10, 1/500, cropped, USM. Comments and critiques always welcome.

Regards,

Shawn Zierman.

northernflicker2.jpg

northernflicker3.jpg

Great work, Shawn. That first shot is fantastic! The lighting and pose doesn’t get any better than what you have here.

I tried putting the sneak on a few the other day and they said no way.

Thanks alot for the feedback folks! X, I wish I really did have a cloak, I'd have a whole portfolio of kingfisher shots by now smile I'm so used to seeing this species of woodpecker fly away from me, I made a rhyme to teach my kids to learn this bird. It goes, "White on the back, don't look back, it's a northern flicker Jack." Think about it smile

For fun here's three more.

flickerblur.jpg

staticflicker.jpg

mrsflicker.jpg

Very nice shots Shawn, great bright colors.

15 feet is great, I've never been able to get that close to any of the ones I've been able to shoot, 50' is closer to average for me...on a good day.

Thanks for the kind comments folks. John, 50ft is around my average as well, this day was simply unreal. Hwood, I wish I could check it off my list but my addiction won't let me smile