• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2010 bag limits

we will have to wait and see how things pan out. I went to the meetings and voiced my opinion on question 43 raising the size limit on the chip flowage to 18. I told them this is all well and good but why does the DNR refuse to use slot limits?There has been great success in the slot system in Mn but yet the Wis DNR refuses. Raising the limit to 18 will protect the pre age spawner's of this I have no doubt but a slot would protect the actual spawning age class's. Why can we not implement such a program protecting the spawning class while aggressively utilizing stocking of fry and fingerling's?I got no answer.

Vman,

I grew up on one of larger lakes just north of Rice Lake and have seen the walleye fishing go down in the last ten years. Parents attended the fall associationmeeting and the fisheries manager was also in attendance and when he was asked about slot limits the only response that came out was, "It will not work!" When asked for details he again said it wouldn't work! Well [PoorWordUsage] kind of answer is that! After the meeting many folks that live on the lake commented to my father that they also would like to see much tighter limits to see the fishery come back!

I live in Minnesota and fish a lot of big water with slots and it is fun catching big fish and taking a picture and returning it to the lake!

Slot's really only work on lakes sustained by natural reproduction. If attempting to establish or re-establish natural reproduction it does take something like an 18" minimum for a few years to get things going.

The thing is, the larger females are already in those lakes and they need to be protected.