• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

spots for bow fishing

pbear7

I am new to bow-fishing and have not found any good spots to shoot any suckers or carp. I am wondering if anyone knows any good spots within about an hour of the twin cities. Thanks

Hour from the twin cities will give you more spots than you could bowfishin your lifetime. My advice is to check out the DNR Web site and check for creel surveys. If you see a lake with shallow bays and an abundance of netted carp, you probably found a spot to bowfish. Will you be bowfishing in a boat or from shore? If from a boat, you will have much more opportunity than from shore. However, shore bowfishing isn't impossible. My best shore bowfishing spots usually are in the spring in flooded ditches connected to rivers. Otherwise, try shallow creeks.

check out Land of lakes bowfishing association site for reports and pointers. Like tyler said, virtually every lake in the twin cities has rough fish, you just have to beaware of local archery discharge ordinances. If you are not going to be in a boat, I would invest in some waders and check out flooded areas for culverts/dam areas. Flooded grasslands are the best, and you'll be shooting non stop

Peltier has tons of carp, my biggest problem with that lake is clarity, but if you hit the spawn right. George watch has great numbers too, alot of small ones, We have seen some monster buffalo in clear lake and the carp we've shot were small; there is a culvert that goes under Hwy 8 dont excatly know what lake it connects to Green Perhaps, but it connects to a smaller lake/pond on the other side mostly lilly pads, and when they start to spawn that gets stacked with BIG carp; we launched a boat there, but ddint see anything, we were too late.

***Dont forget to pick up your fish!

OK, bare with me on this one, it's probably a dumb question for all you bowfisher persons. What do you do with the rough fish after you get them? I watch it on the sports channel when it airs, but of course they don't say what they do with them either. I'd like to give it a try!

PRCME, tha disposing of rough fish can be done by preparing them to smoke or mixing them up in a compost pile -farmers, organic farmers, pig farmers, etc. Check with your local compost manager as they may not care to dump them.

Well, it depends from individual to individual. Some actually eat them (I've heard different testimonials as to the edibility of carp). I had high school buddies that smoked them.

Personally, I use them as fertilizer. My relatives own a farm and let me dump the fish on their land.

If you know a trapper, they sometimes will take carp off your hands for bait. And I've heard of different farmers (mink, turtle, etc.) who will grab it by the truck load.

Buffalo tips.....

In June, Buffalo gets choked with curly leaf pondweed and it breaks the surface at about the same time the carp spawn. They will be splashing around in the thick stuff all day long and you just have to look around to see where they are concentrated. Take your boat in the midst of the action and wait for them to come into range. With this year's early spring, it may start in late May. Really a "no-brainer" when they are active.