• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SD Riding?

huntingislife

There's a lot of miles of trails in the Black Hills area from what I've heard. But I believe it was last year, they closed approximately 3500 miles of the trails, or almost half of what they had.

I never did get the chance to ride there since I sold my Honda last April.

My wife and I rode there 2 years ago, IT WAS AWESOME. My biggest regret as we drove in the area was that we didnt have our own wheelers with us. It was my wife who suggested that we just rent some. I was hesitant at first because of the rates, but we found a small mom and pop place and rented a couple of Hondas, fairly reasonably. The trails were great and very numerous. I'm glad I had my GPS with though, it would have been real easy to get turned around.

We didnt know where to ride, so we just followed trails until we found a sign that said "Custers Peak". We just followed and enjoyed it, 6800 feet up, but the trails were very scenic and we wanted to just keep going. Another thing I really appreciated was that even though some of the trails went through private fenced land, all they asked of you was to reclose the gates after you went through. Hows that for hospitality?

After looking at a map I believe where we were was south of Deadwood on Hy385

I will definitely be going back in the near future. Here is a view from the trail on the way up!

BlackHillsVacation2007094.jpg

right now most of the Hills is considered open unless posted otherwise. Obviously no riding in Custer State Park, Wind Cave or the Black Elk Wilderness Area. Some of the forest fire burn areas are also closed to off road travel, which basically means you have to stay on numbered roads.

There are a lot of side trails and logging roads out there that you can use as well. You will be able to see the trails that ATVs are allowed on the US Forest Service map of the Black Hills. I would suggest getting a map of the marked trails so you know where to go without causing any problems. There are miles and miles of beautiful trails in the hills the problem is none are marked and its hard to know if you are supposed to be riding them or not

You can find the maps at lots of place out there or just try calling the Black Hills Forestry Service in Custer

Rodes in the Black Hills last year. It was Awesome! What a secret. We rode up to Custer Peak, then back to an old mining town. Its legal to ride atvs on highways if you have a motorcycle lisence, rear view mirror, and a horn. So you'll see lots of atv riding down roads. We never did that; but there is a ton of trails, and US forest service roads.