• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how to fix a leaky rivet?

iceranger792

My buddy fixed a hole in his smokercraft with some stuff similar to JB Weld, Marine stuff though. He did this a couple years ago and it is still holding up. The rivet had completely popped out, so he actually had a hole. We applied this to inside of the boat. I see cabelas had some stuff that you heat up and apply in a similar manner, called aluminum boat patch.

When i worked for a naturel gas pipeline we had these green sticks to patch the coating on the pipe. I have used it on aluminum boats. heat the aluminum with a propane torch then melt the green stick onto the problem area. I have seen the same stuff in a cabelas catolog

If you can get to both sides of the rivet, have a helper back it with another hammer or a body working 'dolly' and rap the other side of the rivet with another hammer. It won't take a whole lot of force, the rivet is already flattened out you just need to give it a little more. That'll re-seat the rivet and should stop your leak. Phred52

I have 2 boats still. One of them...my trusty Lund rebel with a million riveyts on the bottom had this same issue.

Any kind of patch or gunk or junk that you may try will just be a temporary fix - believe me!!

I posted something similar on here a few years ago.

Firs, get the old rivet out - so you just have the hole.

Then you need to pick up a "pop rivet" tool and also the pop rivets.

The tool is easy to come by - but the size I needed for the rivet wasnt. i actually stopped by a local marina and they kindly gave me a few. I think for the Lund it was a 1/4 inch size.

Its super easy and you attack it from the outside of the boat. The rivet actually pushes through the hole and then you squeeze the rivet tool together tight and it tightens the pop rivet together and it expands on itself and rivets itself in from the outside. it is very cool - and very easy. i amy not be explaining it the best here - but do a little research and you will learn more. I fretted over mine for a long time...that one little hole let in a lot of water! When it came time to fix it using the pop rivet - I couldnt believe how fast and easy it was...and it has stayed put for over 2 years.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't pop rivets have a hole in the center. When that little piece breaks off it's stuck in the center tight enough that it won't leak? Maybe it won't but all the rivets on my boat are solid. I'd say if you can get to it from both sides do what Phred52 said and reseat it.

You are correct...most pop rivets have a hole down the middle. This is a different style...its been a while since I have done the research - but I think its called a "closed end pop rivet".

I am telling you - they are great!

So easy and it seals up with a closed end as tight as a drum.

Many times you cant get to it from both sides. Mine was below the floor by the steering column - I would have had to remove floor, steering column and a few side panels...

Instead I was done in less than a minute - and its as good as a regular rivet.

Those waterproof rivets are great, we get them from our boat dealer, I have not seen them anywhere else. But beware, they are not as strong as a regular rivet (i.e. not pop-rivet), so keep an eye on it.

We tighten the rivets using a air hammer and the "rivet bit" not sure of real name, but back it with a SS axle (can get in tight spaces) and give a quick rap with the air hammer. Tight as a drum.

But I see what you mean about under the floor, if you can't take the floor out. One trick, slather silicone around it and in hole before the water proof rivet, that way if it does start to loosen then the silicone "might" help it last a bit longer, or at least not vibrate as much and loosen up as soon.

BTW - pnuematic rivet guns kick arse wink

Boxmn

Yup...I picked up mine at the "boat repair shop" as well.

I just called and talked to a mechanic and asked where I can pick some up. He told me to just come in and he gave me a half dozen. If I remember correctly I could find some smaller sized ones - but not the "bigger" one that I needed. But they must be available from some kind of source - cause the boat repairmen somehow get them...

I did a little silicone on it too. Mine fit so tight though that I could barely squeeze the tool gun to get it to "pop"...so its really in there!

Ok, I found them I think. It's called a closed head rivet. It looks like it's backwards from a regular pop rivet. The 'nail' comes out the dome and the opposite end is not open. When you 'pop' the rivet the 'nail' breaks off just below the surface of the dome and the 'head' stays inside. Jay-Cee rivet is where I saw them listed.