• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

G3 vs Lund

fisherchick

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a decision. I am going to buy a new boat and would like some help deciding between a G3 and a Lund. Could anyone help me with the pros and cons?

I am thinking of getting a 17' tiller. Not sure which motor to go with...any suggestions on motor type?

Thank you!

Fisherchick

As far as I've seen and heard, the only difference is you'll pay a lot more because of the fact that the boat says "LUND" on it. I won't buy anything but a Yamaha 4-stroke after my experiences with E-Tec. I've heard nothing but good about Suzuki, especially on how fuel-efficient they are...don't know much about Mercs.

I don't think the G3's are all that bad. I've taken a look at some. It's true that it lacks some of the attention to detail that is present in a Lund. If you plan to keep it for a long time and you like the layout, I'd give it serious consideration. Their Angler V 172T has a layout that's similar to a Lund Pro-Guide. Electronics center is higher and further back than the Lund. Spend some time in both boats before you make up your mind.

If you think you may sell in less than 10 years, I would start pricing a Lund. They are pretty easy to sell and really do hold their value. The Pro Guide has a better/larger center rod locker, will probably run faster/drier due to the IPS2 hull design, and has the sport brackets so no drilling on the gunwhales to mount rod holders,cup holders,etc. It also has a track on the outside so no drilling required to install snaps for a canvas travel cover. Rigging tubes underneath the boat make it very easy to run cables, wires, etc. Just all the little things that Lund has perfected over the years.

And yes you may pay more to rig a motor that isn't Black on a Lund, if that's your thing. In my case, the fee was only $250 to hang a Yamaha off the back and remove the Merc controls.

I second the fact that you can resell a Lund for what you paid for it 5 or 6 years later if not more ,they hold there value ,ive sold 3 over the last 12 years. I live down here in Illinois where Lund isnt a household name , like it is in Minnesota , and they do also move fast, sit maybe 2 weeks tops with a sign on em!

I been buying Lund's for 30 years and have owned 6 of them. In my experience selling one for what you paid or more may be a little over optimistic, but they do hold value. One thing I do know is that if it has LUND on the side you will have plenty of interested buyers when it does come time to sell especially if you live in northern MN.

I've checked out G3 and they seem to have a nice boat. The G3's are very popular out west and in the southern mid-west. I've got a couple of fishing buddies that live in KY and they both talk about getting a G3 next time they buy.

Look at the warrenty. When I was buying (6 years ago) THE G3's only had a 5 year if I recall. My friends G3 18' would cut the waves great but man that boat seemed heavy! It would be nice if you could test drive boats like ya can cars. I bought a Lund and think Alumacrafts are darn nice boats also.

if you do a little more research on line, you will find there are no used Alumacrafts and very few Lunds available. Might be that we keep them for a reason....G3 ?????? Boats are like a wife, pick a good one and keep her. If she pays half, keep her waxed...Tiller?

Suzuki, kick [PoorWordUsage] and saves gas....

I heard for 2010 G3 fixed there boats, on the 175 hull I believe. The others before that were a wet ride. If you look, G3 installed their spray rail 2" above the chine, thats two inches too high! That is the reason they have a reputation as a wet boat, and why so many are avalible used. If you are looking at a Lund, do yourself a favor, compare to Alumacraft and Crestliner. For tin boats, all three are pretty even on quality, and performance. All the other aluminum manufacturers try to catch up to their quality.

I ran a Lund and when it came time to replace it I bought a new G3 so here is my 2 cents. I thought my Lund was a great boat and really would have liked to buy another one. Not too proud to say that when I made my decision, the bottom line was the Bottom Line...$$$$!

If money is no issue for you buy a Lund/Verado. Then spend $5-6k and rig it with all the finest options/Electronics.

When shopping for my rig and doing the homework (same motor and trailer with G3 hull vs. Lund hull and what it includes as "standard equipment"), the price difference between the two was substantial. It was enough for me to rig the G3 myself with ALL of the toys/accessories I wanted and still beat the base Lund price...multiple Lowrance units, LowranceNET, Engine Interface, T8 kicker, Bow Mount, Marine Radio, etc.

I have been very happy with my G3 V185 and my F150/T8. It can have some bow spray depending on conditions, and had few minor finish issues on the boat taken care of by the dealer...but most importantly no issues that have kept me from catching fish.

If I had it to do all over again ...I'd buy the G3. If money was no object, I'd probably buy the Lund.

Good Luck

P.S. Go see Art and Deb at Farm Island Repair and Marine in Aitkin, MN if your shopping G3.

I read all of your comments, and thank all of you for your insight! WOW, this forum is REALLY useful!! I love it!!

I bought a 2008 Lund 1825 Pro-Guide. It even has 3 years left on warrenty! IT IS LOADED...I am SO excited!!

Thank you for your help!! And in reference to supercrew, "Boats are like a wife, pick a good one and keep her. If she pays half, keep her waxed" I would have to say looking for a good boat is like looking for a husband. Some things I like, some I had to learn to live with! :-) :-)

Either way, REALLY EXCITED to get this boat in the water! Maybe on the Rainy River this weekend!!

I would have to say looking for a good boat is like looking for a husband. Some things I like, some I had to learn to live with! :-) :-)

That is a great line FisherChick! I'm sure my wife could attest to that ... LOL.

Congrats on the new boat! Would love to see some pic's.

Fisherchick, i would seriously re-evaluate your decision to invest in a tiller unless you wanna spend ranger bucks. They ride wetter, hard to plane out in waves, and offer very few advantages over console models today, especially with the bow mount electric motors available today. I have a 16 foot crestliner tiller with a 60 hp 4 stroke merc i'd sell ya for 8 grand because it hasn't sold in over a year. Near mint condition. Don't get a tiller!