• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Final five 2010

cbrooks

I'm thinking a mid Winter trip to Beaver land and and maybe a Cass Lake Spearing adventure...you two in? grin

So 4,000 capacity for the New Arena that sounds about right and should make for a good environment. I was hoping they weren't going to go to big on that! Did they get any additional rink's out of the deal?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard it is really cool, right up near the lake, and of coarse, full bar!!

Pier, Ill bring my harpoon, Cass has the big Pike, thats foresure.

It's a nice location on the south east shore of Lake Bemidji. It will be sweet in October and Nov, but that good 'ol NW wind blowing 10-20 across the lake come Dec-March will let you know you're alive. Oh well, it will give Mpls people something to complain about laugh and the folks in Grand Forks will say, "what wind?". smile

There's no other rink built on. Hopefully down the road - even though they are millions under budget. They are also using individual plastic seats (no padding) which is too bad (but will be so much better than the bench seats at the old rink). Other than that, it will be very nice. The Bemidji region has 25,000 people to draw from, so 4,000 seats (including suites) will be plenty. Full bar/mixed drinks is only for certain seating/donation levels. Otherwise it's beer only.

Yes, BSU doesn't have the alumni that other WCHA schools have - that and I think the fact that fans aren't used to traveling too much - or used to going to tournaments (yet), and throw in the lower wages around the area, hunting/fishing, and you wouldn't have too big of traveling fan base. I've gone to many, many UND games, and I don't believe I've seen that many BSU fans over a few hundred. Compare that to say SCSU or Duluth - which are in the high hundreds.

BSU's fan base will grow - through the program's successes and being in the WCHA will also increase their exposure.

Ok, we will have to plan it this fall, I will bring the Fishhawk up. We will see if we let BRmuskie join us. That might be too much Sioux for me.

Spearhouses, though frowned upon in the muskie world are actually cool to sit in on a clear lake.

I would like to briefly speak on the Bemidji topic since its cool it came up. Cant comment on the new center or the fact that Bemidji fans would travel, but travelling WILL INCREASE with new rivalries within the WCHA.

Playing teams out in New York, Alabama, and elsewhere does not make for an easy weekend of traveling for a college student. HOWEVER travelling to Duluth, North Dakota, Minneapolis, St. Cloud, and Mankato is much more manageable. Other than the NoDak home and homes, other WCHA fans didn't travel too well up to Bemidji either. (Duluth, Mankato)

Being from the Kato area originally, I travelled down for the BSU and Kato games when Bemidji played in Mankato. I would estimate about 250 fans were there back then. (2005 or 06?)

The Glas was full a lot this year according to my brother and sister who attend there still. The Bulldogs game was sold out in no time! I think next year should be great for Bemidji with all the new WCHA teams that haven't been there much! The place WILL be packed for the opening weekend with North Dakota and the last weekend with Minnesota! I would imagine the St. Cloud, Dakota, Duluth, and Minnesota series will be sell outs for quite a while. Mankato doesn't draw quite as well, but Wisconsin and Denver should also be fun to see come in! Hopefully a rivalry is built with Neb-Omaha being the other "new" school.

I think it'll be a tough ticket the first year for any of the big games! I REALLY want to get up there next year to take in the new arena! Had Bemidji played in the X this weekend I think there would have been a nice fan base there... There were decent numbers when BSU played the Gophers in Minneapolis earlier this year, and when they played in Michigan for the NCAA tourney last year, a fair Bemidji crowd made the trip.

If BSU is competitive, the fans will come out! Believe it or not but a lot of the Bemidji students DONT go fishing or hunting very much! Besides, on a friday or saturday night there isn't much better than going to a party before the game and heading to the arena to watch the hockey game before partying the rest of the night!

Ok, we will have to plan it this fall, I will bring the Fishhawk up. We will see if we let BRmuskie join us. That might be too much Sioux for me.

Spearhouses, though frowned upon in the muskie world are actually cool to sit in on a clear lake.

You won't need the fishhawk I keep my boat at my bros place in Bemidji. I know BSU plays UND for there first game next year there. That might be a tough ticket to get. I might be able to get a few tickets.

Cbrooks and [pleasebecomeasponsor] - my house is about 4 miles from the new rink. If I don't have a house full of old college friends up for the weekend - I think we could work something out to get out fishing. My loyalties will be tested that weekend for sure. I am a lifelong Sioux fan - BUT being a BSU alum and living in Bemidji I will be cheering for Bemidji that weekend. Win or lose, that will be a fun weekend to be in Bemidji.

My loyalties will be tested that weekend for sure. I am a lifelong Sioux fan - BUT being a BSU alum and living in Bemidji I will be cheering for Bemidji that weekend. Win or lose, that will be a fun weekend to be in Bemidji.

I'm in the same ballpark. Grew up a Sioux fan (went to many games from 1980's - 1995, then moved to Mpls where you don't get to see too many Sioux games (about four a year) and then moved to Bemidji a few years ago. I'm 51% for UND and 49% BSU, but I'll be cheering for BSU on Oct 15 (we'll see for the 16th). It's a win-win either way!

Im still going to bring my harpoon, you never know when you need one of those.

haha I got an idea Scott I'll bring a head dress and you can be the UND mascott...I'm kiding I'm only kiding LOL.

Thought I saw something in the news a few days ago that the Resevations can vote on whether the name stays or goes. It seems to change every couple of months ,the name is staying , no now its offensive. I wish the thing was resolved. The name isn't a big issue to most of the people IMO.