• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big 10 Tourney

Cooter

I think you're right and most of the crack staff at ESPN and elsewhere would agree. About the only way I see them not getting in at this point would be if they come out and completely lay an egg like they did a few weeks back against Michigan. I don't think they will and even if they don't win today, am thinking they will give Ohio State a run for their money. If Sampson and Iverson have a day and Westbrook can play within himself and not make too many dumb ball handling mistakes, they have a shot at another upset.

I may not agree with some of what Tubby has done but he's got these guys melded into a team and playing like they're on a mission after all the adversity they've been through. Hats off to him and his staff. Hopefully Royce White is keeping track of their progress on a stolen laptop somewhere. After concluding many weeks ago the Gophers were an NIT team at best, am thawing out some crow for supper. Marinated in teriyaki sauce, wrapped in bacon and barbecued on the grill it might not be so bad... wink

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes you play a team and run into a buzzsaw, and that's what happened to the Gophers tonight. They played well for 3/4ths of the game, but then OSU played lights out. Evan Turner has been unbelievable all year long. The buckeyes were playing for a #1 seed, and they have the talent and style of play to make a Final Four run. What I was afraid would happen did; OSU forced the action, exploited their quickness advantage, and used it to open up the floor for 3's. When a team finishes 18/20 (0.900) for the last 13:00 on FGs, you don't have a chance. I just hope that the selection committee had the Gophers in before halftime when it was a competitive game. OSU has the firepower to turn a competitive game into a laugher in about 3 or 4 minutes. Minnesota just wasn't able to get their post game going or cover all the floor defending the half court.

Overall you have to be happy with what Minnesota did. It's hard to play 4 games in 4 days against the kind of competition they did. I hope that Miss. St. doesn't take MN's spot in the dance because they took Kentucky to OT. It hurt the Gophers that Utah State and UTEP lost conference championship games. This team really came together, played to their potential, and left a lot of bad memories in the past for a few days. They showed heart and smarts where they often had not during the conference season. I hope they get in, get a good matchup, and become a high seed pest. They could still get the result they where gunning for when the season opens if they got in and won a game or two. It's out of their hands now...

Turner was unconscious as usual, Diebler didn't miss much from outside and Lighty as usual gave the Goph's fits. Sampson reverted to his tentative style of play and Hoffarber couldn't get open much. When he did, he wasn't on. I wanted to see a little more of Iverson but as quick as the Buckeyes lit it up, he wasn't a factor. Make most of the too many missed put backs, a few less tickle foul calls and the flow of the game might have been different. I hope the returning players keep in mind the end of this game where Ohio St. kept trying to score with the shot clock off at the end of the game. Pretty bush league IMO. Typical though of some of the disrespect directed at this team in several games this season as well as in All Big Ten team selections. What goes around comes around Thad.

I too am impressed they got as far as they did. They had a rough year with all the off court garbage they went through. As I wrote before, the season was like a train wreck, I couldn't look away. Even though Ohio St., Mich St. and Purdue lately seem to get the cream of the crop when it comes to recruiting, one has to wonder what might've been. I am optimistic that next year will be better if everyone stays, stays healthy, and they can actually get some of their recruits in school not to mention playing in the Barn.

I still think they're in the tournament at this point as do most of the wonks on the tube so am going ahead with my crow supper. Probably add some barbecue and some hickory chips to the Weber.

You could tell they were tired. Four games in four days plus an overtimes is tough.

Hopefully the committee will consider they played them tough (down 3 at half) until they completely ran out of gas.

We edged out Illinois based on the Tourney results and how we ended the season. They stunk and we played well. Hopefully they have some juice left for the first game of the Big Dance!!