• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do I dare even get started in this??

I'm putting some consideration in to building my own rods. I've got some extra cash that's burning a hole in my pocket and I need an extra hobby/addiction I know you pro's at this don't want to sit and explain every detail to me, I wouldn't either. But what's the best thing to do to start? Are there any good books or guides I should look up first?(I really don't want to take a class although I know it help big time) I find myself with a lot of extra time on my hands lately, and I need to put it to good use.

i've built a couple rods and its really fun.

what i would do is order a pre-made kit, they usually have instructions. see how you like it and then you can go nuts and start ordering parts in bulk smile

jann's netcraft, the big C store, and hook&hackle might be a good starting place

I know you said you didn't want to take a class, but that was the best for me. I would rather see something demonstrated than read about it. I liked being able to ask questions and get a demonstrated response. I was also able to avoid some pitfalls by taking the class.

Advice? Buy the supplies and come back and ask questions. I don't want to write a book here, but plenty willing to answer any questions. I would much rather order the components I want rather than a kit, but that is me.

After looking over things it's easy to get confused and overwhelmed!!! First thing I need to do is either buy a wrapper or build one. get some thread, epoxy, brushes, a couple of rat tail files, and blah blah blah..

Anyone know where to find a decent kit? Or have any recomendations on a good wrapper? or any other tools?

Told ya i'm going to get pesty!!! I already told the "ol lady" and she sounds fine with this endeavor!!

I am having major computer problems so am on a borrowed machine right now.... I am a sponsor of this site, and would be honored to help you out any way I can.

Right now I have a very good small table top wrapper, dryer motor and stand along with a beginning book on rod building for sale. Go to my web site to get my phone number as they do not wish for me to place any advertising on this site... go figure!

www.lakeladyrods.com

Regardless, take a class from somebody who know what they are doiong, it will certainly shorten the learning curve greatly, and will be worth the money in the long run.

We can help. Give me a call.

Kris Kristufek

LakeLady Custom Fishing Rods

Breezy Point, MN

www.lakeladyrods.com

[email protected]

The wrapper can be as simple as 2 V notches cut in a cardboard box, or all the way up to a very expensive power wrapper. I put up a thread a while back with the equipment I use. Some is made some is purchased.

rod-building equipment

If you are handy with some basic tools you can make much of the stuff yourself.

Leech, if you aren't interested in taking classes, I recommend getting the "Flex Coat - How We Do It" DVD. A lot of great info for the beginner.

I know it may seem overwhelming at first, but if you order all your components from the same company the goods ones will help you out over the phone and help you select the proper size and number of components according to the rod blank.

I don't really recommend getting the 'all-in-one' kits, IMO they are a waste of $, they usually come with inferior components and a junk blank, that you will not enjoy using and just sit in the corner collecting dust after a couple uses. There really isn't much you can screw up that will make a rod unusable. It may not be the prettiest rod, but it will be functional. Wouldn't you rather have your first rod something you want to use?

Just take your time, enjoy the hobby and ask as many questions as you like.

I tell ya what, I'm getting pretty pumped up about this. I've never really owned any high end rods, I've fished with a few but never thought I'd own any because I'm kind of a cheap skate.

It sounds like a guy can make a pretty shnazzy rod for not too bad of a price. I'm also sort of an artist, I've done some murals, and wood burning, paintings, and drawings I have sold in the past and I'll definitely be incorporating some of those skills into my rods.

I'll be keeping a closer eye on this rod building forum from now on!

leechy,

I've got the perfect answer for you-- my dad! He's been building rods for about two decades and has made rods from panfishing to distance-casting-competition rods and everything in between. He's always happy to help a newbie out. If you're interested in sitting down with him and building your own rod, he would steepen the learning curve for you a ton. He lives in Fisher, MN- so it wouldn't be that far for you to run over there one day and get the skinny on a ton of basic info. For a new guy, he usually charges... um... nuthin'! If interested, shoot me an e-mail and I'll get you set up with him.

Hot Diggity dog, that sounds more like it!! I'll shoot you an email and give you a heads up once I get the gear I need. I probably should bring him some fish for his kindness since his boy can't catch any grin

Thanks Scoot!

7 foot rod, I would be looking at 7 guides, a #20, #16, #10, #8 and 3 #6 guides. But that is me. For lighter lines there is no real good reason to use over a size 20. You may get some that will say different, but that is why call them custom rods. I personally use Fuji or Rainshadow Hardaloy. Fairly light and hard plus reasonably prices.

I have not used any of the micro guides, but they may be the way to go on a really light action rod.

Here are a few handles I have done, LeechBait

They are easy to do split grips and it reduces the weight substantially.

3-4-10Rods019.jpg

This is the IP841 I was talking about earlier. This one has a carbon fiber tube reel seat ( GS16C-B ) with epoxy ramps and woven graphite butt. This one also has a drop shot hook keeper ( I put these on all my jigging and rigging rods now, a must have IMO )

3-4-10Rods020.jpg

Here is a closer look at the ramps and reel seat.

3-4-10Rods022.jpg

Here is my theory and recipe for this and most 7’ spinning rods.

I believe in using the smallest choker “butt” guide possible. I determine this by measuring from the blank to the center of the spool of the reel that will be on that particular rod. That measurement will be the max height of the guide frame (from foot to the top of the ring). Here is my short cut for all that, I use a 20mm guide for 20 and 25 series reels and a 25mm guide for 30 and 35 series reels. This works most of the time.

As far as guide sizing I believe is a fast transition to the running guides and unless you are building a cold weather rod I like to use 6mm single foot fly guides or micro guides (micros are a whole different topic for another post) for my runners.

I use 8 guides on most a 7’ spinning rods. I go 20mm, 12mm, 8mm, 6mm in a single foot spinning guide. M y basic spinning guide is a Batson Forecast BVS3TLG. This is a black H ring guide. The other 4 guides are 6mm single foot fly guides BFLG06.

A fast transition gives you a couple things. It minimizes the friction from line on your guides by choking it down and shooting it thru the rest of the guides and the smaller the guide the lighter the rod will be in the end.

Here is my recipe for the 7’ IP840 and IP841

From butt to reel seat 9”

Tip to choker 4”-8.5”-13.5”-19”-25.25”-32.5”-40.5”-50”

That was my 2 cents

Andy

That's what I'm talkin about Andy, Those are some sweet lookin set ups, and I imagine they are pretty light!!! My wrapper and dryer arrived yesterday, now I just need to get the rest of the stuff!!

Leechy, I'd take your offer of fillets as a cheapshot if it weren't so true!

I'd suggest you skip all the other stuff and settle on a blank. Once you've got that, you can pay my dad for any components you'll need. That way, you can order what you will want/need after that, instead of guessing.