• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha to move ATV Mfg to the USA

Dave S

And you still believe that the use of cheaper materials is due to the "fact" that our lazy American assemblers are over paid?

Sorry, but the cost to bring something onto this piece of soil we call home is more expensive than building it here. I guess it's reasonable to believe that in order to cut costs, foreign manufacturers are using sub par materials also. smirk

All of your straw man arguments aside, the fact remains that the quality of Japanese cars has dropped since they have been building them in the US.

Sounds like "one mans opinion" moreso than a "fact". smile

Its just one example but my neighbor had a 97 Max that I worked on plenty. It was far from "bulletproof"! (Probably due to the rust). wink Glad you are happy with yours.

Something that you've already agreed to:

Originally Posted By: chasineyes

Your also forgetting about FEDERAL, STATE, COUNTY AND MUNICIPLAITY RULES AND REGULATIONS...most notibaly EPA,OSHA,FDA, SWCD, etc etc. can you say...cha ching!

true true true

engineering designer

I used to be a production cnc machinist, so I know the ropes of manufacturing. In fact, in a previous job, I supported manufacturing, planning, and sourcing quite a bit.

With that type of job you should know who sets the tolorences for tooling that produces these parts, I bet those are the same people that set the toloreces on the older car. I would also be willing to bet those people arnt here in the states. It has nothing to do with overpaid Americans.

I say good for Yamaha, bring more jobs here! I know I will take it into consideration when I buy my next atv.

[

With that type of job you should know who sets the tolorences for tooling that produces these parts, I bet those are the same people that set the toloreces on the older car. I would also be willing to bet those people arnt here in the states. It has nothing to do with overpaid Americans.

again, if the engineer were to spec higher quality stuff, it would cost more.

It comes down to cost. If cost were not an issue, we'd all be commuting in F-15s to work everyday.

In the end, quality is only a subjective result of the input from many people.

Sonics level of quality work may be different than mine. But how many people are handling the product after my input, or Sonic, or Dozer?

Sure tolerances are built in by engineers, but I've found in my manufacturing career that in many cases there is room for input by others after the inital design is created. Not that it should be done, but someone worth their salt will know what strings to pull and when.

Oh and Sonic, I'll take an AH-64 Apache for my commuter vehicle grin I think it would be more fun following the river bottoms between Shakopee and Le Sueur.

wow I forgot I was on the ATV thread, we got a little off topic here. being a machinist myself, the inspection and part paper trail has gotten very tight, nothing but high quality parts being made here in the US. not sure about overseas, or mexico.

I sure do agree with that. We do top notch machining herein the US.

We do a lot of things top notch. Cars is not one. Oh well can't win em all. However, When it comes to reliable cars, the US is second only to Japan. Germany makes great cars, but they require a lot more maintainence.

Lets see how well Yamaha does.

I will agree with the machining. The facility I work in has sheet metal fabrication, stamping, powder paint, molding, machining and assembly. We're not quite the place we used to be with the changes in management over the years, but the talent of the hourly worker IMO is the major reason why we're still afloat.

I do recall reading sometime back where some models of Yamaha ATV's have been manufactured in the USA for years .There's even a way you can tell where it was built by the Vin code . As far as the belief that Japan is a country with cheap labour costs that is just not true . Japan just like Germany has a very high cost of living .

Also the latest and supposedly greatest fad of ATV , the Can Ams are now mostly going to be made in Mexico .

TD

I do recall reading sometime back where some models of Yamaha ATV's have been manufactured in the USA for years .There's even a way you can tell where it was built by the Vin code . As far as the belief that Japan is a country with cheap labour costs that is just not true . Japan just like Germany has a very high cost of living .

Also the latest and supposedly greatest fad of ATV , the Can Ams are now mostly going to be made in Mexico .

TD

I never said Japan has cheap Labor. Are you kidding me?

I do recall reading sometime back where some models of Yamaha ATV's have been manufactured in the USA for years .

YMMC (the Georgia manufacturing facility) currently manufactures ATVs ranging in engine displacement from 250cc to 421cc.