• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

AntiVirus and XP question

Born2Fish

So I logged on the computer the other day and started getting a XP internet security thing that keeps popping up in my tool bar. I get several different messages (System Hijack, Tracking software found, and Stealth Intrusion just to name a few). So I click on the XP Internet Security tab and it says unregistered version. Then if I click remove all (It shows a list of more than a couple virus's that are supposedly on my computer) it says purchase full version or manual registration. Is this just a deal to get me to purchase a version of XP Internet Security? Something that I do not need? Also, I want to get a nice free antivirus that can so a scan and delete any virus's that may actually be on my computer. Is AVG a good free one (just don't have the $$ to spend on something right now)? All I want basically is peace of mind that there are no virus's on the computer and for the darn pop ups on my tool bar to go away. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thanks. I actually did that plus another thing that was suggested off another site and it turned out that it was a virus that was trying to find its way into the computer. So a word of warning for anyone else that gets a XP Internet Security warning thing....If it keeps telling you all the things I mentioned in my earlier post it is more than likely a virus that is trying to steal your information. It wants you to put in credit card information and the such. DO NOT DO THAT. Once again thank you very much.

I wonder if Malwerbytes by itself is a very effective virus detection tool. Shouldn't you also use an anti-virus application in conjunction with anti-malware? Maybe I'm confused.

You should be running a real time package that detects/blocks most things when they happen. I use the Norton suite for my real time detection, then supplement that with Malwarebytes a few times a week.

There are several good ones out there and I am sure people will chime in as to which ones they like.

I have actually done a little research today to see what I would like to get. I had the Norton 360 but was not very pleased with that. My internet provider does allow me to get the Norton Suite for free, but again I have not always been very pleased with Norton in the past. I did see something called BitDefender. And from all the things I have read about it, it sounds like a sure bet. Actually I was sorta surprised to see where Norton sits as far as how it has been ranked among these all (It actually ranks #4). I would really like to hear if anyone has any recommendations on any other AntiVirus software they think works better than the others, how easy they are to use, and how effective they really are.

I wonder if Malwerbytes by itself is a very effective virus detection tool. Shouldn't you also use an anti-virus application in conjunction with anti-malware? Maybe I'm confused.

It is not a virus scanner. It is an on demand malware scanner. It doesn't run all the time unless you pay for it. You should run a virus scanner and then run Malwarebytes every so often.

I currently use the free version of AVG and have so far been happy with it. I previously purchased McAfee annually but decided to try AVG as a recommendation from friends. I didn't realize how much of a resource hog McAfee was until I installed AVG. By not buying the full-blown version I am missing out on some of the real-time protection but for my home use habits I feel we are okay and have been for the past 10 years. Of course I also use Lavasoft Ad-Aware, HijackThis, Malwarebytes, SpybotS&D (also immunize), and Windows Defender along with my Windows firewall. My regular maintenance includes manually running malware scans once a month. It takes about 6 hours to complete all the scans but I just start them and then go to bed and they're done by the next morning.

I have to check but doesn't AVG provide real time scanning? I could have swore it did when I set it up a while back.

Yep...

I have found the new AVG to be slow and buggy compared to the older versions. I would recommend Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast.

So I logged on the computer the other day and started getting a XP internet security thing that keeps popping up in my tool bar. I get several different messages (System Hijack, Tracking software found, and Stealth Intrusion just to name a few). So I click on the XP Internet Security tab and it says unregistered version. Then if I click remove all (It shows a list of more than a couple virus's that are supposedly on my computer) it says purchase full version or manual registration. Is this just a deal to get me to purchase a version of XP Internet Security? Something that I do not need? Also, I want to get a nice free antivirus that can so a scan and delete any virus's that may actually be on my computer. Is AVG a good free one (just don't have the $$ to spend on something right now)? All I want basically is peace of mind that there are no virus's on the computer and for the darn pop ups on my tool bar to go away. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I recently have had the same popup.Its a scam to get you to buy a registry cleaner! I followed it.I used my antivirous scan nothing bad,Then I used windows defender nothing again!!

Seems certain sites I click on this comes up. I've had it show up 3 times now,Just ignor it.I do have to admit it sure does look real!!!

Originally Posted By: upnorth
I have to check but doesn't AVG provide real time scanning? I could have swore it did when I set it up a while back.

Yep...

I have found the new AVG to be slow and buggy compared to the older versions. I would recommend Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast.

I just installed MS security essentials on my friends laptop and it runs behind the scenes pretty much and doesn't slow it down at all. It updates the definitions once a day i believe.

Originally Posted By: Born2Fish
I recently have had the same popup.Its a scam to get you to buy a registry cleaner! I followed it.I used my antivirous scan nothing bad,Then I used windows defender nothing again!!

Seems certain sites I click on this comes up. I've had it show up 3 times now,Just ignor it.I do have to admit it sure does look real!!!

I would clean out your cookies and set your browser to prevent third party cookies.

I'm just guessing, but this might be the same way google gets ads to show up on your web pages...you do a search for certain items and all of a sudden these same items are showing up on ads in the web pages you are browsing.

I think there is also a setting in IE that will not allow web based traffic to take over the browser?

I may be wrong, but i remember seeing something like this in those settings...it may also be different between XP and Vista too.

With the freeware version you don't get "all" the real-time scanning that you get with the purchased version. What you don't get with the free version is

Identity Protection

Enhanced Firewall

Anti-spam

Online shield

Advanced Anti-rootkit

Game mode protection

Advanced system tools

Personal tech support

Originally Posted By: upnorth

With the freeware version you don't get "all" the real-time scanning that you get with the purchased version. What you don't get with the free version is

Identity Protection

Enhanced Firewall

Anti-spam

Online shield

Advanced Anti-rootkit

Game mode protection

Advanced system tools

Personal tech support

But it will do the important Real-Time virus scanning which is what you want. The rest is fluff. If you turned on all that realtime scanning on your PC wouldn't have time to do anything else. As Upnorth stated it would use a lot of resources.

Understood. I was just replying that I didn't say AVG didn't do any real-time scanning. I did say that I was "missing out on some of the real-time protection."

At any rate, AVG only in recent upgrade added some of the real-time scanning and this is when it admittedly started to use a little more resource but still much faster than my previous experiences. It only makes sense that the more stuff going on the background the more resources we need.

One nice feature they added recently is the indexing function. After I ran my first virus scan it indexed so future scans take about 1/4th the time. I've configured it to run once a week and it now takes about a half hour to do a full virus scan. Prior to indexing it would take over 2 hours.