• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Have you ever seen a Crappie like this?

MN BassFisher

I have never caught a White Crappie before so I had no idea what they looked like, I looked at a few pictures and it does look a lot like a White. My next thought was to check and see if Forest Lake had White Crappies, and after doing some research all I could find was that it holds Crappies (didn't specify if it had White).

And yeah, the pattern totally reminded me of a perch pattern, but the thought of a perch and a crappie cross breeding just seemed too odd to me.

I'll 12th or whatever we're up to now: that's a white crappie.

perch and crappie hybrid?!?! hope you guys are joking...

the banding pattern is a good way to determine but the dorsal spine count someone else already mentioned is the sure thing. color can vary a lot and i know a lot of folks that think the pale looking blacks are actually whites.

I caught one like that this winter in a river system. I held it up and noticed the odd dark vertical bars spread out on a very light background. Not your typical white crappy pattern for sure.

:edit: actually, I'm pretty sure the fish I caught was a black crappie with very unusual colorings and markings. I caught both white crappie and black crappie that day, and this fish looked exactly like the rest of the black crappies in color, size, shape etc except part of its side had the odd markings.

I'll 12th or whatever we're up to now: that's a white crappie.

perch and crappie hybrid?!?! hope you guys are joking...

the banding pattern is a good way to determine but the dorsal spine count someone else already mentioned is the sure thing. color can vary a lot and i know a lot of folks that think the pale looking blacks are actually whites.

It's a rare Hybrid Tiger Crappie! wink

I'll second that water bound. Hybreds do happen in nature but the fish must be from the same family otherwise they most likely have a differnt number of chromosomes making reproduction unlikely. Remember Hybrids are sterile, so to have them happen naturally and reach adulthood is quite rare. Perch and Crappie are far too different to successfully reproduce, not to mention differnt reproductive needs, behaviors, and locations. Muskies / Northerns... same family, same reproductive habits. Another example, is spotted bass, and large mouth. They'll hybridize as well.