• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Working on A Better Pine Grosbeak Shot

Jim Almquist

If I could throw out one quick suggestions. On the second from the last, there is a hair or somthing that is sticking out the left side of the birds head. A little clone tool would clean that up. It just drew my focus to that little peice briefly. Otherwise absolutley lovely shots.

Thanks for all of the C & C from everybody. It has been a fun time trying different setups and I still have a few more that I want to try yet this winter. These birds are so social that it is a fun time having them around with there calls to each other and the fact that they like to get close with no fear.

Paul

I don't know the name of those hairs but I believe all birds have them but they are just not a visible on all birds.

John Sikilla remined me of the name of those feathers.

Filoplume Bird Feathers

Filoplumes are always situated beside other feathers. They are simple, hairlike structures that grow in circles around the base of contour or down feathers. They usually stand up like hairs, and are made up of a thin rachis with a few short barbs of barbules at the tip. Filoplumes are generally smaller than semiplumes and are on half to three fourths of the length of the covering contour feathers.

The origins of filoplumes is currently under debate. Some ornithologists disagree with the theory that filoplumes are degenerate contour feathers and believe instead that they are sensitive structures that assist in the nerve endings in the follicle. It is therefore quite possible the filoplumes play a key role in keeping contours in place during preening, display, and flight.