• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

helmets

pascooter94

I have a Polaris modular and love it, I did manage to break the little cheesy button that flips the shades down though. I got mine at a pawn shop for $58, I don't have problems fogging and don't use a heated sheild. There is a company on da bay selling modulars for about $110. If you can get one with the seat belt style chin snap, boy thats nice instead of fighting the D ring with cold fingers. You can add them I think to. Whatever you get make sure you get a breath deflector. Some guys I ride with swear on open face moto cross style and googles, I prefer the modular.

Myself and a buddy went heated this year. Both of us wish we had done that 2 helmets ago. When I was younger I did not have problems with fogging, now its a problem, well was. I was really tearing it up with another guy not to long ago and worked up a sweat and got a wet head. It was under 10 degrees out and no fogging. Last year I would have had a real problem on my hands.

I have the Ski-Doo (BRP) Modular with the flip down sun shade and breathe deflector. No heated shield but I have yet to fog. Kind of pricey but well worth it. Just make sure to take the deflector off if you are trying to get a stuck sled out. It is like trying to run on the treadmill breathing through a straw!

Tully

pascooter,

I just bought a new helmet this year. An HJC Dagger. It's really a simple, low buck helmet - about $100 - but I've been happy with it.

With the breath deflector in place and the shield down, I've run in temps ranging from -20 to 35 above and haven't fogged yet. My glasses have been another issue. wink

Keep your shield clean with no fog cloths and you should be alright.

One word= Contacts. grin

I have had good luck with a Mossi modular I picked up last year at Dennis Kirk's showroom for a great deal on sale. It was under a $100. I think around $60. Normal I think it is around $130-$150. I wear glasses when riding. With the vents open in front and on top and moving I do not fog up. You just have to flip the front modular when you come to a stop.

It is a nice helmet:

cadd3eb2.jpg

The deflector is not shown in this picture. It did come with one, but last in the UP I took it off and put it in the rear hatch on my sled. IMO it is just easier with out it even in cold temps.

pascooter,

I just bought a new helmet this year. An HJC Dagger. It's really a simple, low buck helmet - about $100 - but I've been happy with it.

With the breath deflector in place and the shield down, I've run in temps ranging from -20 to 35 above and haven't fogged yet. My glasses have been another issue. wink

Keep your shield clean with no fog cloths and you should be alright.

Aren't you sure this isn't the second helmet you had this year? frownsmile

I guess I'm the only guy who likes moto helmets and goggles.

I thought about that this year but the price of the base line helmets was more, throw in a pair of decent goggles and spend 3 times as much for the right kind of balaclava and it just got too spendy for me.

The guys at the shop said those set ups are more for the racer types and deep powder riders, of which I don't do nearly enough of either to justify it. frown

I guess I'm the only guy who likes moto helmets and goggles.

I thought about it as I have a few Moto helmets. But when I met a husband and wife running up on the Gunflint trail one year and she took her helmet off. Every little open skin spot on her face was white with frost bite! So, I go with a full face thanks! wink

Another vote for the Ski Doo modular helmets. I've had one of the original designs for years. My only complaint is when riding for a while in really cold temps (less than -10) the ports sometimes ice up when I'm riding hard, but it doesn't take a lot of effort to clear them. I've heard great things about the newer Doo BV2S design but I can't justify buying a new one when I don't have many complaints with my old one.

hear alot about the modular helments what the pros and cons of them?

The main thing I like about Modular is when putting it on and taking it off. You just set it on your head and when ready flip down the front. When stopping and talking the modular make this easier.

I did not think I would really care for a modular helmet, but now I would not have anything less. If anything, just to have the option.

I have a friend who just returned an SD Modular 2. Reason why? grin It fogged his glasses, well and the sunshade was hard to get up and down and would catch his glasses at times. $300 IMO is not much to spend for safety, but when spending it on basically the same thing you can find for $100 (features), but still have safety rating of the same, IMO it is money well saved. Then again some people I know just have to have the best grin

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

For safety of others on the trail, riders with me and myself, I need glasses. I can not leave them behind and I do not have contacts. If they fog up, I stop riding and defog them. I would like a sun shade but I transitional lens which give me a nice shading while on the white snow of the trails & lakes.

I have a friend who just returned an SD Modular 2. Reason why? grin It fogged his glasses, well and the sunshade was hard to get up and down and would catch his glasses at times.

I can guarantee that any fogging was the result of the user or buying a defective helmet, not a result of the design. Assuming he had a properly working helmet, there is just no way they can fog up if adjusted properly. Look at the video you posted, if the facepiece is adjusted properly it is literally like an oxygen supply mask, completely sealing off any breath from entering the helmet. If you plug the exhaust ports with your fingers on a Doo modular, you shouldn't be able to inhale at all. If they were fogging from sweating, there are multiple vents on the front and back of helmet, but not easily recognized as vents.

ya i dont think 300 is much if it works as well as every one says it does its a one time cost

i use contacts now but it a pain puttin them in and out as i dont wear them but when i'm riding so not use to it

i'm not sure about all the face mask stuff it that would drive me nuts or not

Just a two cents...I really don't know much about helmets. My wife and I just bought a few sleds. We went into the shop in Big Lake and told them we needed helmets. They suggested modulars for us for the following reasons. They said, "people who wear glasses like them, women like them...they seem to want to drink water all the time, parents like them so their kids can see your mouth when your talking." We bought inexpensive modulars for $70. I like em. The breath deflecters aren't great but for purely novice riders not wanting to invest a ton of money it works great.