• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snowmobiles and Engine Mileage

1900_LE

I've been looking for a sled for the wife. Mostly watching c list. I notice there are a lot of snowmobiles with anywhere from 2000 to about 4000 miles and they've already had to rebuild the engines. Whether it's just top end or complete overhaul. Yet I'll run across some that have 6000 miles and more with no engine work. Is this just bad engines or are people just beating the daylights out of them or what? Some say it's a "real clean" sled and then read a little further and it had the motor redone at 2000 miles. Would you guys that around snowmobiles a lot buy one of these? I don't want to buy a bucket of bolts if you know what I mean.

When I got mine I wanted all stock/original. Mines a 95 with near 5000 miles on it and had the clutches redone and a can put on. I love it. A friend has one with over 10K on it and still original. I think if it was a profesional rebuild you may be ok, but a " my buddy did it" I might shy away from. Some need rebuilt due to abuse others just neglect. I know of guy who got a "blown" sled only to find out the carbs needed cleaned, fouled plugs and clutch cleaned and it ran like a dream.

I'm in the same boat trying to find the wife a good reliable sled. I think she'll get a early 2000's Polaris 550 Classic. Go figure she gets the newer nicer sled grin But I'm keeping my rocket.

There is also a down side to never being apart. IT means you have 6000 miles on rings. And they could use a freshing before they fail on you. So you could ask the seller on why they were rebuilt. But yes be careful when buying used sled. Bring with a cylinder compression gauge and antifreeze if you have one. And with all the snow take it for a ride could learn alot in a few miles.

IMO a compression gauge is a must have tool for checking out a used sled.

Most other conditions of a sled can be checked visually. The compression gauge is the easiest way to check what you can't see.

I bought a '95 440 trail with 5300 miles on it and it's rock solid. It tested 108 and 110 if I remember correctly.

Esox - if you're serious about an early 2000 Polaris 550 for your wife, shoot me a PM. I have information you might like to know. I bought one last summer. I like it but there are some things to be conscious of.

In fact I'm just leaving on the 550 now to go over to the M.I.L.'s to pick up a ham. grin Roads are boring.

i just bought a 1990 ski-doo safari lce with over 6500 miles, the speddo and trip had quit working some time ago i guess, and it still runs like it was new! this is a completely all original sled minus the hood. track will need to be replaced next season, but i only paid $400 for the sled and actually drove it home from nisswa to backus! do your homework, know what your looking for, i'm a full time machinist so rebuilding an engine is no big deal, i have everything in the garage to do it already. but most people do not. i believe when he was talking about anti-freeze, he was referring to a liquid cooled sled, check for leaks around the head. i did not bring a compession tester along with me, and most don't, all i can say is if the MANUAL recoil feels like it sorta pulsates and has a good amount of resistance, it should be good, just try and test the sled for as long as you can. i usually let the sled idle for a while before i ride it, i pop the hood open and look for any leaks, check plugs, if the elecyrodes are white, it usually means it's overheated or running lean. i then start the sled back up and run it at different rpm's, then i re-pull the plugs again and check them. if all is good then it's sold.

i hear ya on the old ski-doos.. my buddy got one for free same thing you got and it just kills me how it can sit outside in

-30 nights and first pull it will fire right up. never had stabill or sea-foam put in it no mantianece at all just beats the carp outa it and it never seems to stop. guess they dont make em like that anymore wink

i hear ya on the old ski-doos.. my buddy got one for free same thing you got and it just kills me how it can sit outside in

-30 nights and first pull it will fire right up. never had stabill or sea-foam put in it no mantianece at all just beats the carp outa it and it never seems to stop. guess they dont make em like that anymore wink

Some of this has to do with the prime starting systems Ski Doo's have over the choke systems most sleds have. I have had 4 Ski Doos' and 3 Polris's and they started very well. I lot of it is just learning how your motor likes to start. Did your buddy ever tell you about how the primer buttons plunger likes to freeze up at -30 below! That's always fun getting them loose so you can start your sled! frown

Did your buddy ever tell you about how the primer buttons plunger likes to freeze up at -30 below! That's always fun getting them loose so you can start your sled! frown

I've only had it happen once and it freed up fairly easily. Turning the knob helped some but after that I started using an easy remedy. At the end of the day I always used to pull the primer and leave it in the out position. Never a problem when doing that.

Some of this has to do with the prime starting systems Ski Doo's have over the choke systems most sleds have. I have had 4 Ski Doos' and 3 Polris's and they started very well. I lot of it is just learning how your motor likes to start. Did your buddy ever tell you about how the primer buttons plunger likes to freeze up at -30 below! That's always fun getting them loose so you can start your sled! frown

IMO a compression gauge is a must have tool for checking out a used sled.

Most other conditions of a sled can be checked visually. The compression gauge is the easiest way to check what you can't see.

I bought a '95 440 trail with 5300 miles on it and it's rock solid. It tested 108 and 110 if I remember correctly.

Esox - if you're serious about an early 2000 Polaris 550 for your wife, shoot me a PM. I have information you might like to know. I bought one last summer. I like it but there are some things to be conscious of.

In fact I'm just leaving on the 550 now to go over to the M.I.L.'s to pick up a ham. grin Roads are boring.

I have used a compression checker and if you can get a hold of one, a thermo temp reader. They work great for checking the temp diff, of the heads and the exhausts on each side coming out of the motor to see if one is burning a lot hotter then the other. wink