• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new to bowhunting

wannafish2

Hey everybody! I have recently purchased a used bow. It is an Alpine archery 50lb RH. nothing really fancy, and I have never bow hunted. I have been a gun hunter since I was old enough to carry a gun with my dad, and recently thought I would give archery a try. The bow I bought has a peep sight already installed, but the previous owner used his fingers to pull the string back, and I prefer a release aid. Now, that changes where the peep is at full draw, and I can't use it. Please keep in mind, I am a rookie, and female, with no companion or other bow hunters to ask, I am on my own, and in new territory. I live in the DL/Moorhead area and hunt in Bemidji. Are there any recommendations for me as to where I can bring the bow and get a little friendly guidance? and maybe show me how to adjust the peep, and possibly shot this thing? Thanks.

Check out any proshops in your area. I dont know of any, but there probably has to be one. They will take care of you. That peep sight can be moved no problem. There is a gander mountain your way right?.. I know there is one in Bemidji and there is a very large archery club in Bemidji as well.. great group!!!

Continue to ask questions here at HSO, the guys and gals here will take care of you and point you in the right direction.. Welcome to the addiction called bowhunting!!!

DD's right, find a proshop near you. Look in the yellow pages under "archery". There's bound to be a few in your area. They can get it all set up just right for you, then you can enjoy this great sport.

Yeah, definitely hit up the nearest proshop. Your draw length and arrows will need to be adjusted to ensure you are getting a good shot off the bat. Your peep sight will also need to be adjusted and possibly exchanged depending on if you are comfortable with the hole size on the one you have. Being the bow world is so customizable these days, it's hard not to make that bow fit yourself like a glove. So Good luck, and welcome to the bow hunting world. There is nothing like it.

You've got a few options and most of them are pretty good ones. I'd suggest two main things for you: 1) think about joining either of the archery clubs- Sandhills or Lake Aggasiz Bowmen (LABS). I'm a member at LABS and I love it. Lots and lots of very knowledgable guys up there who are willing to offer help and expertise to a beginner. 2) take your bow in to one of two places: Scheels- talk with Al or Brandon- either of those guys will get you taken care of. Outdoorsman- Tom or Mitch will take good care of you. Regardless of which place you go, tell them I sent you over and they'll get you what you'll need.

Good luck with getting set up and ready for hunting! Have fun with the process- it's a great learning experience and really never ends...

thanks, everybody.....you too Scoot! You are the second person to recommend Outdoorsman. I actually was at Fleet Farm in Fargo last week and the guy in Sporting Goods said they were the best too. Keep the suggestions coming everybody, I appreciate them all! I think I made a good decision with the bowhunting.

You can shoot a bow just fine without a peep sight...I've been doing it for 30 years. The key is a consistent anchor point, which is the primary purpose of the peep sight to begin with. When I was a teenager also just starting out I used a thin strip of duct tape wrapped numerous times around the string in a location that would touch in the corner of my mouth at full draw. Later, I learned they make a commercially produced "kisser button" for not much money that served the same purpose much more reliably. Once you have the kisser button feel, the only remaining step to consistent accuracy is your sight picture. For me, it is seeing the string just to the right of my viewing eye.

A peep sight is probably the right approach for most, but when I tried them, it reduced my visibility way too much, as my eyes are less than perfect. I like being able to see a bigger picture. Good luck...once you develop the addiction it'll last a lifetime.

Thanks engfish, it's not often I get to answer questions about what's available locally. Once you get outside of the FM area, I don't know squat! I have to jump in when I actually have some local knowledge.

NWBuck, I agree with you that you can shoot accurately without a peep. More hunters are doing that these days. However, I also agree that it's probably not the best move for most. I did shoot mine without a peep for a few days a couple weeks ago, while I was breaking in the strings. It is surprising to me to see how accurate you can be without a peep. I'm sure I'll never get rid of my peep, but it does make me wonder...

wannafish2

Your made the right decission to come to hso and ask, alot of these guys have more knowledge in and out of the field,than i could ever grasp in a lifetime. but they have all started just like you and I. Everyone that bowhunts preaches to buy what is comfortable with the shooter. Just rememeber when you go to gander or sheels or cabelas. alot of those guys arnt experts, I have really good luck with small local shops.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck on getting set up, its a journey itself.