• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What kind of scope should I get?

I found a good deal on a ruger 30-06, wood stock blue barrel. I was wondering what kind of scope to get and should I get the ballistic style reticle? I've been shopping around for awhile and it seems theres a wide range of price and I'll spend the money for a Swarovski if its worth the money. I'm just looking for anyones input or opinion on certain brands or better yet what optics you have on your rifle. Thanks.

.30-06, this side of 180gr, has a relatively low B.C.

If I wanted to shoot much beyond 200yd with it, I'd probably seriously consider a BDC.

I don't know that a Ruger .30-06 necessarily warrants the likes of a Swarovski. I've got a Zeiss that's very nice. But most of my other scopes are Leupold or Nikon. I'd say, any of those, or Bushnell, closer to $300 - $400 would be all the glass that rifle would ever need.

If ya don't mind a lotta glass, I really like the x50mm for low-light. Even then, I don't think ya'd need to spend much over $500.

If it was me, and I was gonna carry it a fair amount, I'd probably just put a nice 2-7x33 on it.

I know this might be a bit much but I looked at and Thats all for now is look at.. a Trigicon It was a 1.5 x 4 power with a lighted sight pin if you wanted to call it that and all I can say is holy sh-t that is the sweetest scope Ive looked thru in a while it was middle of the night and you could see the like it was day time out and its hard to explain but its made to shoot with both eyes open and if the tube got blocked off you still can see the sight pin on the target. I dont know how else to explain it.

This would make a great turkey gun scope and a rifle scope.

It does come with a higher price tag but I think it would be worth every penny I belive it sell for $699.00

All I can say is at least look at one to compare it to other scopes.

ZThe budget I'm on will probally never let me get one so I will end up with leupold or nikon someday

I don't know that it warrants a Swarovski. I've had excellent luck with the Nikon Monarchs, which are available with a BDC reticle, but are gonna run around $400. I've also had good luck with Simmons. I know they're not highly regarded, and no, they aren't as "awesome" as the Leupolds, Nikons, etc. However, I understand they have an excellent warranty, and you can get into a perfectly acceptable one for well under $200. I've got one that lives on a .22, but has been on a 7mm mag, a .25-06, and a .300 win mag. It's the "spare" scope I always wind-up putting on whatever "new" rifle I get until I can afford a Nikon, and it's actually helped me bag more animals that any one of my Nikons! I guess that's because it often lives on my "new" rifle that I'm itching to use. I've never had to test their warranty service, either. I don't believe any of their models come with a BDC-type reticle, however. I do agree that the BDC-type reticle may be an asset for shooting longer distances in a .30-06. There's my $.02.

Thanks for all the input fellas. I did check out chuck hawks HSOforum good info there. I was thinking I would need at least 3x9 40mm since I would have a long shot from time to time(I'll be hunting ND mostly). I thought about checking into Trigicon but I was turn off by one pin configuration.

It seems the main opinion is either get a Leupold or Nikon if your looking for quality for the money. When I was comparing the scopes side by side at the store the clarity of the swarovski was hands down better but like most things nowadays you get what you pay for. Thanks again everybody.

i know of someone selling a leopold; let me know if you want contact info...

Quote:
Leupold 3x9x40mm scope in new condition. Silver in color. Rings and mounts included. Flip up lens caps. $150 Cash only.

VX-1 The rings and bases are Leupold. From the bottom of the base to the bottom of the scope its 1/2" Butler Creek are the caps

Thanks for the lead Jmnhunter but the scope going on wood stock blue barrel rifle. Silver wouldn't look that great.

I ended up buying a Swarovski Z3 3x10 42mm. I know the majority said I didn't really need it but I figured that I'm able to buy it now so I did it. Trying to get my toys in now because later on in life when you got a wife and kids I may not a choice in getting a Swazo.

I'll probably be buying a another gun later on this year and I'll use some of the advice I got on this post when it comes to chosing a scope. Thanks again everybody.

My fav is Leupold, but the price is up there. I have a nikon prostaff which works just fine and a pentax pioneer. My next scope will be the new redfield (made by luepold now) but at a better price point. So far the reviews are good on this scope.

i would a VXIII but the cost of $430 for one is just too high for me when other scopes will work just as well.