• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ND Spearing

GatorGetter

It’s not that far. When my ex lived in Great Falls MT I would get off work in the evening and be there the next whistle morning. Of course you need a Chevy and open it up and when the puter cutout the speed I would slow up about a mph and set the cruise. Gas hog frown at that speed tho. You can only do this at night and hope there aren’t any critters looking at you on the road. To be serious I think a week would be sufficient time to have FUN! Meander out there and meander back. Cheesy might be able to give a person pointers being he has been to FT Peck.

I am planning a trip for March 13 and 14 GatorGetter.

I need your help to let me know where to go.

I will have an open seat or too also if anyone else wants to tag along. (and help pay for gas of course) smile

I am still planning this trip GatorGetter.

Do you (or other ND spearfishermen) have any ideas of a good lake to go to that is close to MN?

The only spearing lake I've ever considered is Devils Lake. Otherwise you can try Irvine (sp?) just north of DL, but that's a bit more sketchy on water clarity.

There's probably some little sloughs and dams that would be OK to spear, but not really worth it. Might as well make the trip and hit up the big lake.

If any of you are considering come out here since your season is closed I have been out a bit. I speared Devils Lake for the first time Feb. 20. Access to the lake is hard, but I went off Woodland resort and speared to the west of there. Water clarity was pretty good. I speared in 13fow and got one 5lb, that was all I saw. A little hard to see but 10fow would of been no problem. Other than that I always spear Sakakaewa, it has been a slow year. Lately I have been seeing lots of walleyes but not many northerns. Speared a 11lb on a main lake point the weekend before Devils Lake. I sat out all day Sunday Feb. 28 but all I saw were 8 walleyes. No big ones yet, but I did get a really fat 42" in Janaury on a tip-up by Pick City(Garrison Dam). Access to Sakakawea is better but still hard. I have a 75 ford ranger with 35's and a 4"lift that I get out on the lake with. Most people are taking 4 wheelers or sleds.

I've never speared west of the Beulah area on the south side of the lake. The water clarity might be a little bit of an issue because you are so close to the mouth of the Missouri River, but I would think it wouldn't be too bad. Otherwise I'm sure you wouldn't have to travel too far east before the water clears up for you. The northerns are deff. down in Sakakawea right now because the lake had been so low for so many years. Now the lake is way up again, lots of flooded vegetation and trees in the water. In a couple years they should be everywhere, that what happened in the late 90's. That was before I speared but fishing ice out there were days you'd caught 20 northerns. One day I caught 6 over 35" in a little over an hr. Even right now tho, you will deff. have opportunities at some huge fish. My best is a 42" and I know I've seen at least one bigger. My dad's best is a 48" monster.