• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tiller vs Windshield

coombia21

I am looking at getting a 20ft pro-v but i am trying to decide between the windshield or the tiller I will be getting a 200 either way so motor size isnt an issue but I cant decide between the two like the space of a tiller like the protection of the windshield let me hear your opinions

you wont be nice and dry in tin boat

but that besides the point

what do you have now

i went from 20 yrs of tiller to a wheel boat

at first i was like a fish outa water boat control is lot different but i'm getting everything rigged now i like the console

but mostly just because i fish big water mostly and runnin is alittle more comfortalbe and i'm olddddd

if you are use to a tiller and sittin in the back no matter what if you go to a wheel boat its going to feel like a rougher ride tin or glass

Whata mean the maintence of fiberglass???

I have a yar craft and it has snap in carpet i took it out and left it out i love the way it cleans up looks like new

not sure what you mean i had a fiberglass for 20 yrs before this one i just threw some wax on it in the spring to shine it up wasnt no big deal

The maintenance like when i accidentally rub up against the dock or drop a tackle box against the inside and it scratches it it costs a fortune to fix i had it estimated at over 1500 to fix a couple scratches, I am anal about my fishing stuff so i had to fix it and dont want to pay that much again for a little scratch, when i got dock rash on my old sportfish it costed me 115 to fix

i have lots of room and more storage than i use the front compartments will each hold a small child...lol and i'm not kiddin..it is a 20 ft boat though and a wheel boat

abslouty nothing wrong with a tiller boat though

but i woyuld still stick with glass i've on been winnie in lund they have no business out there in more than 5mph blow

wet and beat to pi$$..i told the guy i was with if i had to fish in that i'd be on 1000 acre lakes..lol

just my opinion

I don't know that I would ever go back to a tiller again.

Had a 16' Lund Explorer tiller, I was never dry in any wind going across the lake. I now own an 18' Lund explorer with dual ouncils, girlfriend loves it and I am now alot drier then I have ever been, the only time I think about putting on the rain gear is when it is actually raining now.

WW

Everyone has their personal preference and need when it comes to tiller/console. Myself, I don't fish large waters often and driving long distances isn't a factor so having a tiller works great. I've never needed rain gear when running across the lake in any wind, but my boat is fiberglass which helps too. Regardless of the type or brand of hull, a lot comes down to the operator when people talk of getting wet. Tiller or console, you can get just as wet if you don't approach the waves correctly.

I had a console boat prior to getting a tiller it was like learning to fish the same lakes all over again when I got into the tiller. I found that the boat control is second to none and I could approach structure in a completely different fashion than I could with the console boat. I remember after fishing out of the tiller a few times thinking to myself, "wow, this is great". It was like a whole new world of possibilities was opened to me. The ability of a tiller to put the stern into the wind and just hover on a tight spot with minimal steering input is fantastic. With a tiller I have found that you can use the wind as an advantage to a much bigger degree than you can with a console.

I'm not going to say a console boat is better than a tiller or vice versa, but a tiller works for ME for the fishing I do and the lakes I fish. That is different for everybody so there is no right answer to this question.

i woyuld still stick with glass i've on been winnie in lund they have no business out there in more than 5mph blow

wet and beat to pi$$..

You are a bit off base with that comment. I had a Lund 2025 pro v, and I took that out on big water in high winds it did fine. It was way smoother than my older 1775 pro v. I run a ranger 621 now and the ride difference is huge, but to say you can't fish on big water in a tin boat is silly. I stayed dry in my 2025 unless there was a big cross wind. If there was a big cross wind the spray would blow back in and hit me. All glass boats are not equal either. I have been glass boats that the spray would get you wet too. My friend had a 1890 Yar craft that rode smoother than my Lund, but I got just as wet in that boat with a tiller as I did in my Lund with a windshield. My Ranger now seems to be the driest boat I have been in so far. If I didn't know exactly what I wanted I would try to get out and fish with someone that had models I was interested in before I pulled the trigger on a new boat. That I way wouldn't end up with buyers remorse.

I run a 1800 Pro V with a 90hp tiller and I love it. You can't get better boat control than with a tiller. I'd rather sacrafice getting a little wet for the best boat control possible. It's also nicer fishing with the family as I can keep my eye on everyone, unlike running a bow mount with your back to everyone all day. I've run a wheel boat on a few isolated occassions and really struggled with precise boat control. I've run a tiller for 23 years and have no intent of switching to a wheel boat.

Ive had both and i like a tiller better, much more responsive when turning ,easier to load when its windy can backtroll in big wind better with the big motor, also if you have little kids with ya there always in front of you so you can keep a good eye on em . seem when i had my console it seemed cramped always in the way, less steering response,. have to jump up to get on the trolling motor. with my tiller i dont have to leave my seat trolling motors there ,bait well is there the electronics are there , only time i need to get up is using the net. I have an old 1800 PRO V Gary Roach with 80 yamaha the tiller was a Mr Pike.

Have had both as well, one glass wheel boat, one tin wheel boat and one tin tiller. My next boat will be a tiller, love the control, the room, ect. Never had issues with geting wet and from lake of the woods to leech and everywhere in between. If you are a live bait riggin or jiggin guy a tiller can't be beat, if you are a bass/muskie casting guy then a wheel boat might be better, it all comes down to what you primarily fish for, where you fish them, and how you fish them.

Good luck, seems about 50/50 right now as expected.

i agree way more precision and i undrstand that steering response

i 'm gettin my rigged better all the time to get that back

one thing that makes big difference in control is matching the

right motor to the right boat I use bow mount even in pretty good rollers

when it gets outa hand i can backtroll pretty good with the big motor i'm going to do alittle more rigging in the back so i can

troll comfortalby with the kicker

its a tuff decision thats for sure i was secound guessing myself alittle at first but i'm good now couldnt be happier with my boat and moter 2095DCX...150 E-TEC T-8(SOON TO BE 15HP E-TEC) 80LB TORRVA AND 2 JUNK 520'S