• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snowmobile licensing

Wadinator

This should be a fairly simple question for folks who ride.

I just bought a cheap sled for ice fishing. I live in Iowa (barely) but frequently fish Minnesota lakes. In particular, I will be making a trip to Winnie in February and I want to be sure I've got my legal i's dotted and t's crossed.

So with a current Iowa registration, do I need to get any sort of permit or separate licensing for using the sled to ice fish in Minnesota?

In Minnesota, out-of-state snowmobiles, with current registrations, do not need to buy any visitor registration. However, if you intent to ride the state grant-in-aid trail system, you will need to buy the annual trail sticker for $16. Many states require out-of-state machines to have this trail sticker for ANY riding (lakes or otherwise). If you stay off the trail, you do not need to buy this permit.

I've talked to COs who said they'd ticket anyone who was sledding on a lake with a marked snowmobile trail, even if the sledder wasn't riding on the trail at that moment. Sounds to me like it's $16 well spent.

Even if they write a ticket in that situation, doesn't mean it'll stick. The law is quite specific about the grant-in-aid trail system.

Reality tho is, lets see, $16 trail permit vs gas from Iowa to Grand Rapids to fight the ticket if given.

Kind of a no brainer to me.

Right or wrong, if he catches a CO on a bad day it could happen, tho I dont see any State/grant-in-aid designated trail's on Winnie at all.

well most of those tickets you can take care of on the phone

its not really bout the money its kinda the princple here

if you go buy this and that just because some one told someone something and posted it on here you could spend alot of money

i guess if it was me and i was worried bout it i'd call the MN dnr and get it from the source get the persons name you are talking to then you have solid info

not listening to a bunch of hear say on the internet

i see way to many people ask question on here bout thing like what do i need to register a snowmobile or a boat..etc etc

they get 18 different answers and none of them probably right and in 3 mins you can call the agency you are dealing with and get FACTS !!!

in 3 mins you can call the agency you are dealing with and get FACTS !!!

And if you have seen the other thread in regards to kids riding on lakes, you would know that not even the Enforcement Divison of said agency doesn't always give out the correct info either. wink

so run around spending 16 $$ here and there ???

I didnt read the other thread but i would still call the agency

and get name of the person and then you can say will this person at YOUR AGENCY TOLD ME.. whatever

rather than well lep7mm on the fm fishing thread on the net said !

which one is going to get you farther???..lol

this is good entertainment here and kills hrs as the winter goes by but to think

this stuff your reading on here is gospel...hmmmm

Even if they write a ticket in that situation, doesn't mean it'll stick. The law is quite specific about the grant-in-aid trail system.

I would say, "Whiskey Pete told me...."

It's always tough for some of us internet jockeys to remember all the regs ver batum but Pete's rendition sounds just like what I remember reading when I actually read the r-e-g-u-l-a-t-i-o-n-s before licensing my snowmobiles.

They are available on-line at www.dnr.state.mn.us. Click on Recreation at the top left.

How's that, Greg? wink

I'll tell you guys one thing. Mn has a good racket going. Living in Missouri they don't have snowmobile registration. So to use my snowmobile in Mn, I have to register it in Mn.because it has to be registered somewhere, so they tell me. $79.50 just to ride in the state. To me thats just a state rippin off non-residents. And this isn't just the trails. This is anywhere in the state.

so run around spending 16 $$ here and there???

I didnt read the other thread but i would still call the agency

and get name of the person and then you can say will this person at YOUR AGENCY TOLD ME.. whatever

rather than well lep7mm on the fm fishing thread on the net said !

this is good entertainment here and kills hrs as the winter goes by but to think

this stuff your reading on here is gospel...hmmmm

Gregg52,

I see your point, but in the situation I referenced, I posted the actual statute which proved many wrong. Including people from the DNR. wink A simple search for the regulations or even going so far as reading the statute will yield the most accurate answer.

1900 LE

I'm surprised you folks even buy em down there(lack of snow)

and maybe not many of you do so thats why the state dont bother with the paper work for it

So when you come to GOD's country !!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you wanna run with the big dawwwwwwgs pay up...or stay on the pourch.........lol

with the puppies.lol

by the way how do you know that..lol

Good job on getting the facts !!!!!!!

I talked to DNR. You're right we generally dont get enough snow to make a good snowball. Got about 6 in. right after I bought the sled. Got to run it enough to figure out that the carbs needed cleaning. I bought it to go ice fishing with, which I did last week. But I took my Teryx because.......the carbs on the sled needed cleaned. So I got that taken care while I was up your way. Fortunatly I didnt take the sled seeing at that time I didnt know you couldnt use a sled on the ice. So now when I come up in a couple weeks I'll get this sled registered and then I can "run with the BIG dogs".

by the way how do you know that..lol

Good job on getting the facts !!!!!!!

Not sure if this was directed towards me, but I only followed the lead by many others....errr ummm....here on FM believe it or notgrin.....who have posted the actual statute to put an end to long standing arguements of whether something is legal or not. grin

The dogs water bucket freezes sometimes. Other then that theres not much. Somebody said there was some ice on Stockton Lake (about 30 miles from me). Not enough to walk on. We ice fish from our boats here. Yesterday it was 60 here. 14 when I left Mille Lacs Tues. morning. 45 when I got here Tues. night.